Finding A Caregiver

tricharious

How does one go about finding a caregiver? I know there are compassion club meetings but what about online resources? Not like Craigslist. Forums like this one. I was told we have to use the new classified section to post ads on this site but they don't have a category for patients looking for caregivers.

I used to just post in the caregiver issues forum.

I know of at least one clinic that collects $500 referral fees for a CG to be on their list of recommendations.  In fact I saw how this works first hand.  When the new patient gets their paperwork, they are asked if they have a CG or do they intend to grow their own or do they need a CG.  If there is an indication that the new patient needs a CG, then a cute 20-something secretary nonchalantly slips a card into the patient's folder and says "call her; she can help you."   Sickening, really.

I know of at least one clinic that collects $500 referral fees for a CG to be on their list of recommendations. In fact I saw how this works first hand. When the new patient gets their paperwork, they are asked if they have a CG or do they intend to grow their own or do they need a CG. If there is an indication that the new patient needs a CG, then a cute 20-something secretary nonchalantly slips a card into the patient's folder and says "call her; she can help you." Sickening, really.

If they really asked the patients all three questions I am having a hard time seeing the sickening part. A referral sickens you? The patient walking out with a way to procure meds after they asked for help in doing so sickens you? I assume this is a one time fee because a caregiver would fill up fast and would have no need to continue. We had a place near me operating an art gallery and a matching service. They charged very little for this service and had to close up shop from lack of revenues. Maybe if they charged more they would still be open who knows. I do think they were providing a valuable service.

If they really asked the patients all three questions I am having a hard time seeing the sickening part. A referral sickens you? The patient walking out with a way to procure meds after they asked for help in doing so sickens you? I assume this is a one time fee because a caregiver would fill up fast and would have no need to continue. We had a place near me operating an art gallery and a matching service. They charged very little for this service and had to close up shop from lack of revenues. Maybe if they charged more they would still be open who knows. I do think they were providing a valuable service.

When did I say anything about a patient asking for help?  I didn't.  They were being steered in a specific direction as if it was THE way.  That is the sickening part.....the Dr. who diagnoses you taking money from a person who will then provide you with meds.....and treating this whole thing like it is just normal procedure.

If you went to your Dr. and she wrote an Rx and said "There ya go, you can get these pills at RITE-AID" would you think it odd that she seemed to be suggesting in a left-handed way that the ONLY place to get your pills was RITE-AID?  Especially if you were sick that day? 

So you wouldn't be put off that the Dr. could have/should have said "you can get these at Rite-Aid or some other pharmacy" instead of "you can get these pills at Rite-Aid?"  You don't see the difference at all, do you? 

When did I say anything about a patient asking for help? I didn't. They were being steered in a specific direction as if it was THE way. That is the sickening part.....the Dr. who diagnoses you taking money from a person who will then provide you with meds.....and treating this whole thing like it is just normal procedure

If you went to your Dr. and she wrote an Rx and said "There ya go, you can get these pills at RITE-AID" would you think it odd that she seemed to be suggesting in a left-handed way that the ONLY place to get your pills was RITE-AID? Especially if you were sick that day?

So you wouldn't be put off that the Dr. could have/should have said "you can get these at Rite-Aid or some other pharmacy" instead of "you can get these pills at Rite-Aid?" You don't see the difference at all, do you?

I thought you said the patient chose yes to "do you need help finding a caregiver?"

What if you asked the doctor where to fill a prescription and he/she said "no idea" or "ask around"

Where is the list of approved referrals? Would recommending compassion clubs be ok?

When did I say anything about a patient asking for help? I didn't. They were being steered in a specific direction as if it was THE way. That is the sickening part.....the Dr. who diagnoses you taking money from a person who will then provide you with meds.....and treating this whole thing like it is just normal procedure.

?

It sounds like you are sickened by the health care industry in general as it is my understanding that this is how pharmaceutical companies operate. I relate with you there.

Ever seen a room full of pharmaceutical reps, like a Miss America Pageant. Why is that?

I thought you said the patient chose yes to "do you need help finding a caregiver?"

What if you asked the doctor where to fill a prescription and he/she said "no idea" or "ask around"

Where is the list of approved referrals? Would recommending compassion clubs be ok?

Who said anything about a list?  but now that you mention it, there was a list.....sitting on the middle of the table. 

Recommending a CC or offering a list of CGs is different than steering a patient to one single CG.

Edited by Highlander

Very true, point taken.

Thank you.  Sometimes it takes a while for me to communicate my point.  If the secretary gave a list of 3 CGs to the patient, that would have been entirely different...but giving a business card for a specific patient implies an endorsement, which is further than any clinic should go.

Who said anything about a list? but now that you mention it, there was a list.....sitting on the middle of the table.

Recommending a CC or offering a list of CGs is different than steering a patient to one single CG.

So there was information for alternatives sitting on the table and for those that wanted a connection to a caregiver one was provided. I dunno sounds good to me.

The bottom line is that there isn't a solid way of connecting patients to caregivers other than CCs and networking. Its especially difficult for low income patients that would benefit from free or discounted meds.

Yes, but I have watched these forums for years now, and have seen many patients find CGs even if they are low income.  If a patient puts up a post saying 'I'm on SSDI and get $600/month and need meds but can't afford them" someone is likely to step up.  It is when patients come across with the "gimme a free zip/month" that problems arise.

So there was information for alternatives sitting on the table and for those that wanted a connection to a caregiver one was provided. I dunno sounds good to me.

Not exactly.  The list wasn't handed out for people to see.  It was just sitting there amongst other papers. I just happened to see it for what it was.   When a patient with no CG connection left the place, it was not with a list.  They were given a business card with one name/number.

Not exactly. The list wasn't handed out for people to see. It was just sitting there amongst other papers. I just happened to see it for what it was. When a patient with no CG connection left the place, it was not with a list. They were given a business card with one name/number.

Word, officially on the same page.

I believe users are required to post in the new classified section. Not sure how much ad space is as I didn't make it that far since I found no category for patient seeking caregiver. I used to just post in the caregiver issues forum but the last posting I put up was removed. I was informed of the classified section.

I AM on disability and only make 700 dollars a month sure I need meds but I can't afford them and I haven't had much luck finding a caregiver so far. We'll see. The year is young. Haven't even got my card in the mail yet. Just thinking ahead.

I know of at least one clinic that collects $500 referral fees for a CG to be on their list of recommendations.  In fact I saw how this works first hand.  When the new patient gets their paperwork, they are asked if they have a CG or do they intend to grow their own or do they need a CG.  If there is an indication that the new patient needs a CG, then a cute 20-something secretary nonchalantly slips a card into the patient's folder and says "call her; she can help you."   Sickening, really.

Did you see the card that was handed out?  Could it have been a compassion club card? 

Being a compssion club "leader" my cards get passed around all the time, like many other cc's.  Oftentimes I am referred to as a "Her", as I am female.  I am not ignoring the fact you claim to have seen a list, but unless you seen the card.........

There are times when I have helped facilitate a clinic and someone asks how they find a CG or where to begin.  The first thing I do is hand them a compassion club card and invite them to visit.  I do not receive ANYTHING to do this.  (except a warm fuzzy feeling, when they show up to a meeting and get help finding the resources they need)

Obviously as a "compassion club" we do not charge to help connect patients and caregivers, so I am unsure where the $500 referrel fee would come in.  I suppose we do not have many here in Northern Michigan that would be willing or able to pay anywhere close to that amount for a CG. 

You may have indeed seen exactly what you are suggesting, I was just posing an alternative :)

As a side note, I get calls regularly from patients seeking caregivers who can not/will not attend a meeting.  We help assist them in locating a CG the same way we would an attendee.  SO internet and meetings are not the ONLY sources.  (I think most patients do have access to a telephone.  If not, we can help guide them to sign up for a free phone as well!!   (available to low income pts only)   :)

There is an answer to most situations, it boils down to utilizing the resources available and at least attempting to help oneself!

The bottom line is that there isn't a solid way of connecting patients to caregivers other than CCs and networking. Its especially difficult for low income patients that would benefit from free or discounted meds.

And you cannot attend cc's or network because...?

Did you see the card that was handed out?  Could it have been a compassion club card? 

Being a compssion club "leader" my cards get passed around all the time, like many other cc's.  Oftentimes I am referred to as a "Her", as I am female.  I am not ignoring the fact you claim to have seen a list, but unless you seen the card.........

There are times when I have helped facilitate a clinic and someone asks how they find a CG or where to begin.  The first thing I do is hand them a compassion club card and invite them to visit.  I do not receive ANYTHING to do this.  (except a warm fuzzy feeling, when they show up to a meeting and get help finding the resources they need)

Obviously as a "compassion club" we do not charge to help connect patients and caregivers, so I am unsure where the $500 referrel fee would come in.  I suppose we do not have many here in Northern Michigan that would be willing or able to pay anywhere close to that amount for a CG. 

You may have indeed seen exactly what you are suggesting, I was just posing an alternative :)

As a side note, I get calls regularly from patients seeking caregivers who can not/will not attend a meeting.  We help assist them in locating a CG the same way we would an attendee.  SO internet and meetings are not the ONLY sources.  (I think most patients do have access to a telephone.  If not, we can help guide them to sign up for a free phone as well!!   (available to low income pts only)   :)

There is an answer to most situations, it boils down to utilizing the resources available and at least attempting to help oneself!

I did see the card, and it was just a CG's name, email address, and phone number.  That's why I was repulsed by this whole thing. Afterwards I followed up and was told I could pay $500 to get on the list. 

Plan on going to the next Birmingham CC and I'm doing as much networking as I can right here.I've talked to many caregivers in my area, most of which are seemingly compassionate and hardworking. However, I have yet to find one who can afford to take me on as free. I need about an ounce a month.

Maybe we can get Jane Goodall to come in and make "Losers in the Mist."

Look blucky. We have offered more than reasonable help. Please do not  continue to whine that no one will give you free d0pe. Chances of that happening diminish every time you make those pitiful statements.

Another option if you cannot afford it yourself is register with a caregiver , then be a caregiver yourself for a few patients that can afford it, that way the cost from your caregiver will go down because of the volume you will require and you will be able to help other patients that cannot find caregivers, hence lowering your cost considerably maybe even to $0