Korea

GregS

Good question.  WWII was my Dad's, so to speak.  Hopefully we never see the likes of WWII again.  Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq/Afghanistan--all no picnics but not nearly the suffering as compared to WWII. 

WWII was, in part, due to the economic depression that beset the world at the time.  Similarly, N Korea's economic situation is serious.  It cannot adequately feed its people with all the sanctions, etc.  N. Korea, no doubt, blames that on the rest of the world and feeds its people such propaganda.  It will reach a boiling point.  The difference between 60+ years ago and now is that N. Korea has fewer friends willing to back it now.  But China is remaining mum on this from what I last knew.  Eventually China will have to do something if the tensions continue to rise.  What China does will be the key here.

agreed Ozz....

i can only hope and pray a solution comes prior to dispensing ammunition....

i sense they could be the catalyst to a much bigger problem...

them reaching out with a missile might be part of a much larger plan to see radicalism spread across the globe.

it is a scary presentation... not necessarily at face value... but when you start to peel the onion.. and see the players involved.. and who is positioning where in the globe... things are maybe not so "cut and dry" as it seems....

agreed Ozz....

i can only hope and pray a solution comes prior to dispensing ammunition....

i sense they could be the catalyst to a much bigger problem...

them reaching out with a missile might be part of a much larger plan to see radicalism spread across the globe.

it is a scary presentation... not necessarily at face value... but when you start to peel the onion.. and see the players involved.. and who is positioning where in the globe... things are maybe not so "cut and dry" as it seems....

True that.

Edited by ozzrokk

Kim Young Un could not possibly be that stupid, could he? I think he is hoping that the rest of the world is stupid enough to believe that he has the capability to wage war on a scale that would be meaningful.

Has everyone seen the picture of earth from space when it is night time? South Korea is all lit up and can be seen clearly. North Korea can't be identified because there are no lights. A country that can't even light up the dark in its own backyard sure as heck can't compete in a modern war.

Supposedly N. Korea is setting up missles on its eastern shore and aiming them at targets.   The missles being set up only have a 2500 mile range so we are pretty much n the clear.  However, after already telling us that we will be targets I would guess that the military will make strikes to disable any missle systems that have a further-reaching capability should any activity toward prepping such an attack take place.  Either Kim Jung il is a mad man or he is just doing a lot of sabre-rattling.  He cannot possibly think he could win.

Just to put things in perspective, they moved the missiles what, 50 miles closer than they where?  And as a result we are crapping our pants?  

Seriously, if they fire one, two or ten, how many will make it past the Patriot batteries and how long will it be before the entire country is a parking lot?  Yes they could cause some damage.  But I don't think anyone would come to their assistance when they realize they bit off more than they could chew, as they did the last time around.

Just because you talk a good game for the cameras doesn't mean you can really pull it off.

Dr. Bob

The technology these people have is primitive. It has not been, imo, even a good game for the cameras, except to demonstrate this. The 24 hour chicken little press is, true to form, working it for ratings. The quality of the equipment and devices, to include computers and the weapons themselves appears to have come straight out of the 1970s, and there is little enough of it. Their standing military personnel are straight out of the 1950's. These people have not significantly advanced since my father left the place in his youth. Sabre rattling is going on. The saber is plastic and comes from a dollar store. One has to wonder if Kim Jong Un believes his own rhetoric. The guy was, after all, raised in seclusion by his dad the nutcase. You can bet that US armed forces and other world governments are alert and ready to take advantage of his bad judgment. Carrier groups are no doubt swarming the area. Assets in the South are just waiting for orders. Ordnance is stockpiled, loaded, and service people will soon enough be given the ok to scratch the itch to push buttons.

I think China is fed up with them as well. Odds are that China is going to be the one that ends Kim's rule. They have the ability to make it happen quickly.  The last thing China wants is a humanitarian crisis on their border, nor do they want the United States on their border.  The wisest move for them if things escalate any further is to go in and remove Kim themselves.

I think China is fed up with them as well. Odds are that China is going to be the one that ends Kim's rule. They have the ability to make it happen quickly.  The last thing China wants is a humanitarian crisis on their border, nor do they want the United States on their border.  The wisest move for them if things escalate any further is to go in and remove Kim themselves.

I believe if China removes Kim you wouldn't even know 'they' did it. This does seem to be following closely after China changed a lot of their government around. Maybe Kim isn't feeling the warm fuzzy about China anymore? Maybe it's that China is already in the process of removing Kim and this is how it shows in public.

China is massing assets on its border with N. Korea. It is regarded that it does not want to see a collapse because they can ill afford the massive migration of displaced people that is more than likely to result. They understand it more as a local or regional issue, and there is no percentage in screwing with us. The weapons threaten Japan and the southern half of the peninsula. What? Fire on Alaska? Do these weapons have the ability to pass our defenses? The country would be incinerated.

Kim is reported to be a dumbazz by people who have known him. Not quite thirty, he lived his life stuffing his face and watching sports. Hell. By those standards, most Americans could do the job. His statements about serious harm if we take the fight to him ring of Saddam's promise of the mother of all battles, which turned into the mother of all surrenders.

Restorium may have nailed it.  If China is quietly trying to remove a rabid dog from their neighborhood the dog may be trying to escalate to protect itself.  This was a common practice in the communist world (I actually studied this in college- it was my political science/military history requirement for ROTC) and something I wrote a paper on.  China's combat with the US will not be like it was in Korea in the 50s, they are doing good old fashion economic warfare now.

Dr. Bob

There are missile batteries for this very thing in Anchorage and Delta Junction as well as radars in Clear and elsewhere just for this type of situation- and they were designed for the Soviets and their level of hardware, not glorified scuds.  The range of the 2-3 stage missile (which is more of a lob than a precision shot) MIGHT hit the islands over a 1000 miles from anchorage.  I'd hate to be a seal, but seriously, the major issue facing Anchorage is volcanoes, not a distant nutcase.

Dr. Bob

PS, volcanoes suck, one went off when I was there and grounded my flight home for 3 days.

Restorium may have nailed it.  If China is quietly trying to remove a rabid dog from their neighborhood the dog may be trying to escalate to protect itself.  This was a common practice in the communist world (I actually studied this in college- it was my political science/military history requirement for ROTC) and something I wrote a paper on.  China's combat with the US will not be like it was in Korea in the 50s, they are doing good old fashion economic warfare now.

Dr. Bob

And N. Korea is still doing good old fashioned military display that reveals their weakness, by token of stridency, if nothing else. Kim is brandishing overhyped rhetoric and does not have the goods to back it up. China cannot be so much supportive as they are worried.

Edited by GregS

Kim is doing this blustering for the benefit of a home audience only. He has to show his "subjects" that he is as tough and as competent as his daddy and grandpa. He is building up his street cred for the home crowd. Also, there is nothing better to take people's minds off their squalid existence than a fabricated war.

Kim is doing this blustering for the benefit of a home audience only. He has to show his "subjects" that he is as tough and as competent as his daddy and grandpa. He is building up his street cred for the home crowd. Also, there is nothing better to take people's minds off their squalid existence than a fabricated war.  

...Or  two !

The whole thing is a charade, just like his daddy used to do. Put on a little show, get a check. The fat cats cranking out all those kareean cars. Got the Chinese working for raman noodles making parts for the Kareenans. Taxes and profits flushed to the local tax havens- HSBC, Cayman, etc. Everyones a wienner except us. ie the Motor City.