• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Install a digital cam system with night vision that records 24/7 to a database on the Internet, reports motion dection disturbances to cell phone, and has full 2way communication where the cell phone can work the cameras anytime in real time.

The only thing one could wish for is way to hook tazers to the system so You could look through the camera eye on the phone and select the option to deploy some behavior correction to the intruders. :D

Edited by Juicy

All depends on the type of dog and type of training I'd say.. My dogs are around a lot of crowds at work and very friendly to my small group of friends that come over... BUT.. If they don't know you.. GOOD LUCK..

Do your dogs eat meat? No luck needed. What ever helps us sleep at night.

The best watch dogs have a very hard life.

Pretty much, you can't love them or let them be loved.

I disagree my dogs get loved like a real child but come kicking a door in the big ones coming to bite you he knows who belongs and who doesn't I've had to put him up multiple times for service people so he doesn't have to be crated from the rest of the world to protect his home .

Iv been thinking all day about what i said last night about getting a PIT BULL to deter bad guys, id like to clear something up. I would never own a vicious dog, I would feel horrible if it got out and harmed some innocent person or child. I would recommend a pit bull, they are IMO the best all around dog, and also the most formidable dog on the planet, but the are almost always very people friendly, they were breed to be human friendly. The fact that they are so capable would deter most sane people, and i think even the most friendly dog would recognize a person with hostile intent. The last thing we need is for some patient or caregiver to get a "odd ball bad breed" human aggressive Pitbull, whip it into a frenzy and have it hurt someone, that would be horrible and it wouldn't do any good for their reputation, or ours. I CAN SEE THE HEADLINES NOW.. the media would run wild!

i have a shepard i trained to guard the house, a command of watch and she will sit at the window and lol watch.. if she sees someone even drive by she alerts me. if she sees someone in the drive way she goes nuts to get them.. and yes she will bite ,, anyone, including me if i    get aggresive ,,,even kissin the wife is not allowed by my dog (a her btw) really jealous,,  i have her outside and then she patrols the property, she will circle the perimitter and return, if she sees anything she barks.. i love my dog.. protective, obedient, and minamal training, she knows instinctivley, im paranoid and she is too. that is what a dog should do. I do have to watch her when i have the rare an occasional visitor,, meter readers, theres a sign, dont get out.. they all kinow not to .. 

And then if all that fails.. i do have second ammendments.. and in a break in issue ,, http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/gallery/image/16281-sign/

I would also like to add a highly trained dog is usually not aggressive towards random individuals, they are trained threw bite work to go after shady people. Food refusal, and not approaching a fence to closely are also common things they are taught. I would also have to disagree with pb and say that they don't have to live lonely lives without love or affection, they are working dogs.. but when a highly trained dog is off duty, they can be very stable around normal people who don't have hostile intent.   

I would also like to add a highly trained dog is usually not aggressive towards random individuals, they are trained threw bite work to go after shady people. Food refusal, and not approaching a fence to closely are also common things they are taught. I would also have to disagree with pb and say that they don't have to live lonely lives without love or affection, they are working dogs.. but when a highly trained dog is off duty, they can be very stable around normal people who don't have hostile intent.   

I agree.  I have seen several dogs/owners who really do co-exist, and the dogs are on constant alert to protect their humans.  PB feels that you have to be cruel to a dog to get him/her to be a real guard dog.  I disagree.  If you want a violent dog, then yeah, raise him up to hate all humans.  If you want a real guard dog, it isn't that hard to teach him who you love and who you don't.  I have seen half-trained dog who know the difference between the family pet rat and the common varmint.  I guess PB hasn't learned to tell the difference.  But you don't need to be cruel to a dog to have a good guard dog

Please, folks, don't be cruel to your dog and withhold love in the attempt to try to make a guard dog.  If you want a FIGHTING dog, then you withhold affection and human contact.  If you want a trained guard dog, you train your dog.

Please PB, quit telling people that they need to be cruel to their dogs in order to have a real guard dog.  You've got it all wrong.  Maybe that is how it works in dog-fighting circles, but no respectable dog trainer is going to agree with you. 

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE CRUEL TO YOUR DOG IN ORDER TO HAVE AN EFFECTIVE GUARD DOG. 

Edited by Highlander

Respect/care for animals is something I feel strongly enough about that I wouldn't just let  this discussion go.

Making a dog mean by withholding care is only the ghetto way of training a dog.  And that isn't even training.  It is just making a dog desperate.

I have seen countless dogs who happily delivered dead pheasants, ducks, rabbits, etc. to a human with the most tender of care.  Sure these dogs would rather eat the kill.  But they know better.  They WANT better. 

When I hunted rabbits, I'd carry a ferret in my coat pocket and introduce it to rabbit holes to flush the rabbits.   I have had dogs who then alert on the ferret.  I have had dogs who, in mom fashion, grab the ferret by the scuff of the neck and bring her back to me.  It sounds funny, but if I held the ferret close to my face and sweet-talked her and made kissing noises, the dogs know she's off-limits.

Point is, being mean to a dog to "train" it to protect you is a lot like spanking a kid regularly in the hopes he will grow up to defend you.  It might work.  But there are better and more reliable ways.

Edited by Highlander