Michigan Foodstamp Program Soon To Require Drug Tests

...first of all , is this true? Second, how will legal patients be affected?

The state is the one who issued my license to smoke marijuana, so I don't see how they could take away my foodstamps for doing something they said was okay. Its like a prescription from the doctor for Xanax or Vicodin. As long as you have a valid prescription it shouldn't matter if it shows up. At least that's the way its always been anytime I've taken a drop.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I only get 14 bucks a month for food stamps and 100 bucks, my mi adult health(medicaid) pays for my medicair, and it is my back up ins for when I spend over 600 a month on meds or dr's, I dont spend that much, my auto ins pays for my disability from an auto accident I was in back in 98. so I guess id lose around 12 or 13 hundy a month if that was true, but it wont hit me till next yr, i just did my yearly thing with the state for f..s and  medicaid!

as far as food stamps, Well here goes, I should not pay for coffee or pop or red bull or cold coffee in a can, it should be for food, and natural juices, milk, It most def should not pay for coffee, my lady gets a pretty nice amount because of her kids, and man the stuff the bridge card pays for just amazes me, they can have mine, as far as im concerned they can have hers also, we realy dont have to have them if we are going to be buying coffee and soda pop with them, I dont think that is what was ment for the program, ive seen and know of a few stores that cheat also by letting people buy booze with it and charging something else off on the card,,,,,You know who owns most of them party, liquir stores from bay city down right? and the gas stations, Id love to shut em all down for scaming our country, people are not blind, our government gives major tax breaks to foreigners who start a new biz, they dont do poop for an american starting a store, most people mortgage their homes or maybe some one with some cash died in their family and willed it to them, but no breaks, we give breaks to people who are from countrys we are at war with!

sounds about right take away from american so we can give it to aakmead!

Peace

Jim

Edited by phaquetoo

Do any of you pay attention to what's going on in the country?  Some states have already passed this, including Florida.  This is almost certainly going to pass as the conservatives running our state government have taken it on as a crusade.  They were barely stopped from passing this last year.

Again, thank the dispensaries for donating our money to Callton's PAC to get these guys elected.  The dispensaries are supporting the campaigns of several of these guys.

Florida got b!tch slapped by the courts. Their law was found unconstitutional, and so will this be.

The Eleventh Federal Appeals Court has ruled. The US Supreme Court has not heard it, and there is speculation whether it will or will not. The State of Georgia had their law passed and ready to go, but pulled it because of that ruling.

This is something we need to tell the necessary people in Lansing.

http://newsandtribune.com/local/x1520501504/Court-challenge-likely-for-welfare-drug-testing-bill

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20130326-editorial-no-drug-tests-for-welfare-texas-should-heed-floridas-lesson.ece

http://blogs.detroitnews.com/politics/2013/04/23/drug-testing-welfare-applicants/

Yup. Been payin' attention. Just another day in the Gulag.

Edited by GregS

It only applys to people enrolled in the Family independace program.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billengrossed/House/htm/2013-HEBH-4118.htm

The Fifth Amendment is likewise violated by these d!ckheads.The right from self incrimination is guaranteed, and a requirement to withhold that right because someone refuses to incriminate themselves by refusing to test is absurd. This is going straight to the courts if these fools push the point.They will whine. I will enjoy the show.

So many idiots to enjoy; so many hours in a day.

Edited by GregS

29 states either have this already, or have introduced legislation to do this.  Thank ALEC for this legislation, this is one of their brainchildren.

It's still the dispensary owners giving them the money through Callton's PAC that's helping keep these politicians in office.  As I said in another thread, some of the money may well go to get Schuette re-elected.  How do people feel about the money they spent for medicine at the dispensary going to re-elect Schuette?

Program Symbols DHS Programs Standards

Food Assistance (FAP)

• Expedited (seven-day processing) ................................. 7 days

• Food Assistance Program ............................................. 30 days

Medical Assistance (MA) .................................................. 45 days

• With a medical decision on disability .............................. 90 days

• For pregnant women ...................................................... 15 days

• Refugee Medical Assistance (RMA) ............................... 30 days

Child Development and Care (CDC) ................................ 45 days

Cash Assistance

• Family Independence Program (FIP) ............................. 45 days

• Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) ................................... 30 days

• State Disability Assistance (SDA) ................................... 60 days

State Emergency Relief (SER) ......................................... 10 days

It appears it will only effect the above highlighted program.  Still not sure about medical cannabis yet.

HB 4118

Phrases of import:

" THE DEPARTMENT SHALL ESTABLISH AND ADMINISTER A

PROGRAM OF SUSPICION-BASED SUBSTANCE ABUSE SCREENING AND TESTING

FOR FAMILY INDEPENDENCE PROGRAM APPLICANTS AND RECIPIENTS."

"HAS ENGAGED IN THE ILLEGAL USE OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE,"

"AS USED IN THIS SECTION, "CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE" MEANS

THAT TERM AS DEFINED IN SECTION 7104 OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH CODE,

1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7104."

Definition of controlled substance:

(2) “Controlled substance” means a drug, substance, or immediate precursor included in schedules 1 to 5 of part 72.

I remember reading that on the application form, you are asked if you use illegal drugs. If you mark yes , well... Otherwise, there has to be a reason for testing, it is not across the board. If you don't pass, you have to pay for the test, and enroll in a substance abuse program. I guess our lawmakers figure such a person will use the money once use for illegal drugs to pay for the test and treatments. Only those receiving FIA benefits, not food stamps or other services are affected.

How do people feel about the money they spent for medicine at the dispensary going to re-elect Schuette?

I figure Bill will pay his own ticket for the upcoming election.

He runs in the off elections to keep the bills down. I understand that Bill makes donations to others.

Even so .. he nearly missed the last election. Now he earned some anger from a lot of people. Even so, I'd be happy to see some yard signs out to oppose him already.

Only those receiving FIA benefits are affected.

FIA?  Family Independence A?

I remember reading that on the application form, you are asked if you use illegal drugs. If you mark yes , well... Otherwise, there has to be a reason for testing

probable cause?

Do any of you pay attention to what's going on in the country?  Some states have already passed this, including Florida.  This is almost certainly going to pass as the conservatives running our state government have taken it on as a crusade.  They were barely stopped from passing this last year.

Again, thank the dispensaries for donating our money to Callton's PAC to get these guys elected.  The dispensaries are supporting the campaigns of several of these guys.

Of course dispensaries are responsible. They're like responsible for like everything bad that happens here. I thought that was like common knowledge...

Florida got b!tch slapped by the courts. Their law was found unconstitutional, and so will this be.

The Eleventh Federal Appeals Court has ruled. The US Supreme Court has not heard it, and there is speculation whether it will or will not. The State of Georgia had their law passed and ready to go, but pulled it because of that ruling.

This is something we need to tell the necessary people in Lansing.

http://newsandtribune.com/local/x1520501504/Court-challenge-likely-for-welfare-drug-testing-bill

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20130326-editorial-no-drug-tests-for-welfare-texas-should-heed-floridas-lesson.ece

http://blogs.detroitnews.com/politics/2013/04/23/drug-testing-welfare-applicants/

Yup. Been payin' attention. Just another day in the Gulag.

The Fifth Amendment is likewise violated by these d!ckheads.The right from self incrimination is guaranteed, and a requirement to withhold that right because someone refuses to incriminate themselves by refusing to test is absurd. This is going straight to the courts if these fools push the point.They will whine. I will enjoy the show.

So many idiots to enjoy; only so many hours in a day.

Good posts, Greg.

The Family Independence Program provides CASH grants to recipients.  Aside from the medical mj aspect-  I would support this bill.   Why should our tax dollars pay for someones habit (whether it be drugs, alcohol, whatever) or enable abusers to "free rent" ?  

Before yelling that this is just another way to discriminate against poor MMJ patients - please read the bill, read what restrictions already apply to drug felons and state aid, the intent of the F.I.P program and its requirements.   

Specifically what are peoples issues with this bill? 

It's unconstitutional?

Just a minor thing... :-)

In the states that have tried to implement these programs, they have discovered that people on welfare do drugs at less than half the rate of the general populace.  In otherwords, there are more people in your church doing drugs than welfare recipients. 

I suspect prejudice is involved here and I do not see how punishing someone as a criminal and denying them basic sustenance and a couple hundred bucks a month accomplishes anything but to make people feel self righteous.

Marijuana is still illegal even for medical use.  Each and every one of us is scum when judged for illegal drugs because we use mmj.

How can we turn around and punish others?

What makes you think these people are using the money for "drugs" as well?  Seems like a general assumption with mostly circumstantial evidence.  1-2% of welfare recipients maybe? 

Also, they have proven in other states that the cost to implement all this drug testing is actually more than if they didn't do anything. It will cost the state more money to kick them off.  So, are you willing to pay more money and have your taxes go up just topunish like 2% of welfare recipients?

It just makes no sense.

Here we are adopting the tactics of the drug war to ostricize people, deny them their constitutional rights to privacy and yes, arrest them.

It surprises me how many people have become and still are "Drug war supporters".

If you support this bill,... you support the drug war.

Just last session they made it so you can only get Cash benefits for 4 years in your entire lifetime in Michigan.

*shrug*

Sorry,.... I just don't get how so many people can call themselves Christians and people think we live in a Christian nation while we punish people and would rather see them homeless to fulfill some inner superiority and moral righteousness.

Just last session they made it so you can only get Cash benefits for 4 years in your entire lifetime in Michigan.

*shrug*

Sorry,.... I just don't get how so many people can call themselves Christians and people think we live in a Christian nation while we punish people and would rather see them homeless to fulfill some inner superiority and moral righteousness.

Right on.

I think a lot of them would like to see the persecution of witches make a comeback. It is just no fun for them unless they have a group of people to persecute. Someone who they can all hate together. What a weird bunch of people.

Emotion trumps reason.

Edited by Chauncy Gardner

I am not even sure people understand what FIP is.  Maybe it will make ya feel better to see who is on the program, the fact it has a work requirement unless disabled and has a 48 month lifetime benefit cap.

I mean really people?

What Is It?

The Family Independence Program (FIP) provides

cash assistance to low-income families with minor

children as well as pregnant women. It is designed

to help families become self-supporting. FIP helps

families in Michigan pay for basic expenses such

as food, heat and shelter.

Who Gets It?

Based on the idea that work is the means to

overcoming economic hardship, FIP requires

recipients to work and it can sometimes provide

supports such as child care to help facilitate this.

Cash assistance recipients meet their work

requirements through the Jobs, Education and

Training (JET) program or other employmentrelated

activity. Recipients who are temporarily

deferred from job requirements must participate in

activities to increase their employability.

How Long?

Under current Michigan law, a recipient cannot

receive FIP for more than 48 months in their

lifetime, unless they qualify for an extension or

exception. Some of those include:

• Being the mother of a child under 3 months of

age;

• Suffering domestic violence;

• Short-term mental or physical illness;

• Being employed and meeting the work

requirements of a self sufficiency plan;

• Residing in a county where the unemployment

rate is 25 percent above the state average.

The clock for time limits began on October 1,

2007. It was not retroactive.

Proposed Changes to Time Limits

Beginning on October 1, 2011, some families will

reach their 48 month limit. Language in Governor

Snyder’s proposed budget includes a lifetime limit

of 48 months with exemptions for incapacity and

hardship. The meaning of those exemptions has not

been clarified. The proposed budget estimates that

over 12,600 families will lose their FIP benefits in

the next fiscal year.

The Impact of Changes

Ending assistance, without regard to a family’s

current financial situation, could leave families

without the ability to meet basic needs. It could put

children at risk. In some cases, it will leave

families homeless. It will also shift the cost from

FIP to other emergency programs.

Everyone feel good about themselves and morally superior now?