Which Soil?

williams2311

well this is my first indoor grow ever and let me start out by saying wow cost more then i thought and im still not ready to go. Now i need to buy soil and nuts and as far as any of that im lost i talked to the guy at the shop in taylor and he told me he likes the roots organic also advanced nuts are good but like i said im not to sure on what kind of dirt to buy i know i defiantly don't want to make my own soil yet so if you could give me some input on what you guys recommend that would be great thank you all again you have been a great help with everything im posting lately i just want to have a successful grow  

As Celliach said.  If you just starting out, a water only dirt mixture will bring foolproof decent results.  Roots soil is a great soil that seems to be very stable.  Start seedlings in smaller pots in straight roots soil.  Then transplant one week before flowering into larger 5-7 gallon pots with roots soil plus some amendments like bat guano, earthworm castings, lime, and epson salts.  Get a cheap moister meter and water when the meter reads between 0 and 50%.  At the end you will have great meds and excellent yield, even as a newbe.

The Kiss method is great.  Subcool super soil is good too.   It is ok to change ingredients if you wish.

Then you can experiment and try more advance methods to squeak out a little higher yield, if you wish.  The water only methods allow a lot of freedom and works with any  strain.  When using nutes you have to adjust for each different strain, worry about PH and salt build up, over and under fert, and so on.  Every time you get a yellow leaf you panic.  With water only methods you do not care if you get a yellow leaf, it will turn out ok.

I've had many, many friends over the years go from hydro to KISS because it was much easier and much more forgiving.  To each his own.  I've met many people that swear that hydro is easier.   It rare that I met someone that has dome both methods and still uses hydro though, not that it hasn't happened.

BTW, if you're using the KISS method, there's no salts to build up.  Ph is adjusted for in the mix and you only have to adjust the Ph of your water, which you have to do with hydro also.  You don't have to worry about the Ph of the soil though as long as you follow the directions.

I never worry about one yellow leaf either.

That's why I like KISS over Foxfarm.  One third the cost and you don't have to add nutes after two weeks.  You don't have to add anything but water.  You can't beat the price.  

do you have a list, and where to get the stuff? ive looked into it a few times.... biggest problem i had is only finding huge bags , put me way over your cost b4 i got started. i also couldnt find a lot of it local, would have to drive cross state, or mail order. either way its gonna cost me a bundle, then all the room i need to store the big bags of stuff. id be all over it, a huge organics fan, but its too much money, too much crap..... maybe you have dif list. i tried to put together subs list and no way could i do it for your price. point me in the right direction, i so want to be wrong on this one lol ty

do you have a list, and where to get the stuff? ive looked into it a few times.... biggest problem i had is only finding huge bags , put me way over your cost b4 i got started. i also couldnt find a lot of it local, would have to drive cross state, or mail order. either way its gonna cost me a bundle, then all the room i need to store the big bags of stuff. id be all over it, a huge organics fan, but its too much money, too much crap..... maybe you have dif list. i tried to put together subs list and no way could i do it for your price. point me in the right direction, i so want to be wrong on this one lol ty

Yea that is kind of why I didn't do the kiss method seems like a lot of stuff to buy which I'm sure us worth it in the long run but I didn't want to go on a hunt for it all I paid the extra for fox farm

its actually not hard at all...

and i ended up ordering many of my supplies for this soil mix online... my local hydro stores could not source it any cheaper...or even find the blood meal..

i ordered a couple items from gardens alive.. http://www.gardensalive.com/

and Neptune harvest.  http://www.neptunesharvest.com/

the rest i got from Amazon...

some things like the Epsom salt, worm castings and promix i still acquire locally...

i have had much better results with the kiss soil.  i can say for me it is by far the simplest and most cost efficient way i have tried as of yet.  the yield is not as impressive as some i have done.. but the taste, effect, and overall quality is so spot on i am sticking with organic soil as long as i am allowed. :)

Go to a feed and seed/co-op and buy in bulk.

You can usually buy by the pound.

Menards and places of the like sell promix as well as some feed and seeds.

Feed and seeds you can normally get these ingredients(in one place):

My costs from buying last week( I buy quality organic):

Bone meal- 6 lbs/$10

Blood meal 5 lbs/$11

Kelp meal- 5 lbs/$13

Dolomite lime- 30 lbs/ $7

Worm castings- 20 lbs/$20

Of course Epsom is bought at any drugstore or walmart.($2.25/bag)

The Mychorrizal is at feed and seeds sometimes, otherwise the only ingredients you may need to online order are like the Plant success and rare earth,... both which aren't essential, just helpful.

Bone and blood meal can be replaced with bat guano.  Bone meal is high in phosphorus-P and blood meal is high in nitrogen-N, so you can get the bat guano that has a comparable N-P-K value.  Kelp meal is high in micro-nutrients and can be replaced with green sand or azimite or can even be left out completely.  If your water is hard, dolomite lime and epsom salts can be left out, but they are cheap and easy to find and very beneficial. Worm castings are easy to find.