Which Soil?

williams2311

Guano costs more. 

Greensand tends to be less available. Azomite is more expensive and less readily available. Greensand takes a lot longer than  kelp meal to break down too. You would really need to let it break down for months to get the same timing breakdown you can achieve through kelp meal.  Understanding at what speeds nutrients break down and are chelated is important to understanding how to balance your mix.  If your greensand is only 15% broke down after 4 months,... how is that helping? ;-)

Do not leave dolomite and Epsom out. You will be starvng your plants of 3 important essential nutrients.  Hard water cal/mag does not break down to any effective level and you will be short on sulfates.

I agree Malamute.  I forgot the KISS method uses a soilless grow medium, which makes amendments much more important for good results.  If your base is roots organic or other good amended potting soil you can get away with adding nothing to the soil in 7-10 gallon pots, so what you do add is less important.   Good potting soil cost a lot more than pro mix.        

well this is my first indoor grow ever and let me start out by saying wow cost more then i thought and im still not ready to go. Now i need to buy soil and nuts and as far as any of that im lost i talked to the guy at the shop in taylor and he told me he likes the roots organic also advanced nuts are good but like i said im not to sure on what kind of dirt to buy i know i defiantly don't want to make my own soil yet so if you could give me some input on what you guys recommend that would be great thank you all again you have been a great help with everything im posting lately i just want to have a successful grow  

Advanced Nutrients will kill the mnicrobes in the soil.  If you want microbial activity use an Organic line of nutes.

Roots Organics is the shizz..!!  Grow Green in Brighton has bags of roots for 11.00 a bag.  When I save up and buy in bulk from Grow Green they always give me 25-35% discounts but you have to do orders of 500-1000.  Not that I am some big time baller I just save up and buy for several months or do an order with a buddy.

Not trying to spam for Grow Green I just really like those guys and they are the best out there and I have tried over 20 grow stores NO Joke in the Tri-County area.

You don't need microbes in your soil if using synthetic.microbes break down organic material so the plant can absorb it.synthetic is readily absorbable by the plant....but to each his own.i used meds from plants grown by almost all of these methods and just beCus you used one method does not mean the meds will be better.but we should probably quit hijacking this fellers thread.lol

Edited by pergamum362

I agree with Malamute Celiach and Brains, the KISS soil method is best for beginners. Do not be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, all of them are common, except the rare earth.

You will save money in the long run, it is totally organic, and fool proof (as long as you do not over water, or scorch them.)

I bought enough to make about 20 5 gallon containers worth for about 125 bucks retail. I am sure with some coupons and price matching you can get it for even cheaper.

I agree with Malamute Celiach and Brains, the KISS soil method is best for beginners. Do not be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, all of them are common, except the rare earth.

You will save money in the long run, it is totally organic, and fool proof (as long as you do not over water, or scorch them.)

I bought enough to make about 20 5 gallon containers worth for about 125 bucks retail. I am sure with some coupons and price matching you can get it for even cheaper.

How are your yields with this. Im not at all knocking it, i will definitely try it one day. I just know your a big yield growers, just wondering how its doing for you compared to your hydro.

How are your yields with this. Im not at all knocking it, i will definitely try it one day. I just know your a big yield growers, just wondering how its doing for you compared to your hydro.

Well there is the catch. I have not tweaked it yet...though I have some ideas involving AACT teas. The yields compared to MY hydro system are a joke. I am running them side by side right now, and my hydro plants dwarf the KISS.

Right, it all depends on need and canopy style, I might get a 13oz harvest off of one plant in hydro, but I only harvest one at a time, and I have a full patient load. I am new to soil growing so I am sure the yields will improve for me on that side of the room, but it is not something I am concerned with. What I seek most is unequaled quality, and efficiency.

i have only  gotten better and better since i stopped using nasty store bought soil.... happy frog for me was problem after problem. EVERY time i used happy frog i got nute lock out crazy ph shifts, problem after problem..... i use just straight promix now.... averaging 3 plus per plant.... i use 600s. hoping to move soon and have more space, super excited to use this super soil mix with my promix and seer what it does.

i use general organics line of nutes right now, i love it, and it phs fine with out me doing anything

I use and love Ocean forest soil, earth worm castings, and depending on which kind it is it might need some bat guano about a month into growin them if it's taking you that long to get em to size.. your watering food is jus as important as your soil that I can't tell you.. the secrets in the sauce :P 

I had to unfortunately give up on the kiss method because of my back, it was too difficult to be bent over trying to mix it.

I do have a question though,I'm now using happy frog soil, what would you guys recommend for adding nutes, one that has all the trace elements. ?

I have good luck with general organics and biobizz. My yields from fox farm nutrients weren't impressive but tasted good . Just my opinion 

it's really easy to overfeed.

the number one problem I've seen with new growers is taking too much care of the plants.  I've seen people water them everyday and drown them.  Seen people put too many nutes in and burn the plants.  That type of thing.

I always say, "The more you mess with them, the more you mess with them."

it's really easy to overfeed.

the number one problem I've seen with new growers is taking too much care of the plants. I've seen people water them everyday and drown them. Seen people put too many nutes in and burn the plants. That type of thing.

I always say, "The more you mess with them, the more you mess with them."

Yea i think I have messed with them to much now I think I need to put in 3 gallon bucket I water them every day my soil is drying out fast