Does Pot Keep You Thin?

The pot diet
Never mind the munchies, study finds that pot smokers weigh less than non-smokers.
By Sally Wadyka 5 hours ago

It’s a scene that’s been played out in movies (and college dorm rooms) over and over again. You get high, get some junk food, and proceed to stuff your face till you pass out. But while stoner food fests are legendary, there’s a twist to the tale that may leave healthy eaters and frustrated dieters scratching their heads.

ab5b1fd8-2167-4594-aba4-75752cf6a7a7_58e

Turns out that in spite of the late-night pizza binges and countless bags of Doritos they consume, the average marijuana user is actually less likely to be obese than the general, non-pot-smoking public. 

A team of researchers from three different institutions collaborated to assess subjects who had participated in the 2005 to 2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. They asked over 4,600 men and women about their marijuana usage. Of the participants, 579 reported that they were current marijuana users and 1,975 admitted to inhaling in the past. All were tested for fasting insulin and glucose levels, insulin resistance, cholesterol levels and waist circumference.

Surprisingly, the researchers found that the current pot smokers had significantly smaller waist circumferences than those who had never touched the stuff. And even former users were likely to be more slender than their never-smoked counterparts. But beyond trimmer waistlines, the pot smokers shared some other healthy characteristics. As a group, they had higher levels of HDL cholesterol (the “good” kind), lower insulin levels and reduced insulin resistance (if your insulin resistance is high, it means you have trouble absorbing glucose from the bloodstream and are at higher risk for diabetes).

So now for the big question: How on earth can pot smoking -- which has been shown in previous studies to increase your caloric intake by over 600 extra calories per day—make you skinny?  The researchers still aren’t sure beyond hypothesizing that marijuana helps improve insulin control, which helps regulate weight. Figure out the answer, and you’ll win a large pepperoni pizza and a bag of Doritos.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/blogs/daily-apple-blog-post?post=5adb2a7c-1969-4a65-8554-1275f46faa94&_nwpt=1

Just like the messages of the antis.......they say MJ use causes use of other drugs.  Now someone finds that pot smokers are skinnier than average and they want to say that pot use causes slenderness.

Finding common traits does not mean you found a cause. 

Smoking pot doesn't make you skinny.

One could just as easily say that being skinny makes you smoke pot.

Are you listening Rush Limbaugh?? 

Try AHO, activated hash oil.

Ive been hearing RSO is very crude.bottom of the barrel stuff.

Yes - RSO is made from "naptha."  "Naphtha" includes very many petroleum compounds.  If you don't use the right "naphtha" then you will likely have residual petroleum in your oil.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

paul stanford of the THCF says mj does not regulate his weight.

so obviously, pot wont make everyone thinner.

i think tobacco smokers may also get a slight weight reduction.

crack smokers and opium smokers also lose weight sometimes?

dunno about meth smokers.

be interesting to see all of the stats together.

i've heard 'one weird little trick' to losing weight is to do all of your eating before 5pm.

no food after 5pm! your body will adjust and eventually you wont be hungry after 5pm anymore.

something to try anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

The pot diet
Never mind the munchies, study finds that pot smokers weigh less than non-smokers.
By Sally Wadyka 5 hours ago

It’s a scene that’s been played out in movies (and college dorm rooms) over and over again. You get high, get some junk food, and proceed to stuff your face till you pass out. But while stoner food fests are legendary, there’s a twist to the tale that may leave healthy eaters and frustrated dieters scratching their heads.

ab5b1fd8-2167-4594-aba4-75752cf6a7a7_58e

Turns out that in spite of the late-night pizza binges and countless bags of Doritos they consume, the average marijuana user is actually less likely to be obese than the general, non-pot-smoking public. 

A team of researchers from three different institutions collaborated to assess subjects who had participated in the 2005 to 2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. They asked over 4,600 men and women about their marijuana usage. Of the participants, 579 reported that they were current marijuana users and 1,975 admitted to inhaling in the past. All were tested for fasting insulin and glucose levels, insulin resistance, cholesterol levels and waist circumference.

Surprisingly, the researchers found that the current pot smokers had significantly smaller waist circumferences than those who had never touched the stuff. And even former users were likely to be more slender than their never-smoked counterparts. But beyond trimmer waistlines, the pot smokers shared some other healthy characteristics. As a group, they had higher levels of HDL cholesterol (the “good” kind), lower insulin levels and reduced insulin resistance (if your insulin resistance is high, it means you have trouble absorbing glucose from the bloodstream and are at higher risk for diabetes).

So now for the big question: How on earth can pot smoking -- which has been shown in previous studies to increase your caloric intake by over 600 extra calories per day—make you skinny?  The researchers still aren’t sure beyond hypothesizing that marijuana helps improve insulin control, which helps regulate weight. Figure out the answer, and you’ll win a large pepperoni pizza and a bag of Doritos.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/blogs/daily-apple-blog-post?post=5adb2a7c-1969-4a65-8554-1275f46faa94&_nwpt=1

Not sure why, but I became skinny for the first time in years since I quit going to the gym on a regular basis after I began smoking marijuana again more often. All the way around, I had a better quality of life, and then I had to quit using marijuana for a while until I received my Michigan registry card and I gained most of the weight back! I ate the same amount between the differences in weight, I read somewhere studies have shown marijuana, (of course all people are different and react differently) can increase your metabolism, thus burn more calories, more energy etc. I am a wreck without marijuana, and all the pharmaceuticals just make me feel even worse, so thanks God for Michigan's medical law!