Running Out Of Room!

trix

So.. yeah like the title says, I'm running out of room.

I'm not sure what to do, I only have 4 plants but they have reached the ceiling just about at the moment there approaching 7ft :phew:

thats great and all, thing is they are only 20 days into flower and I'm not to sure they are done growing yet every day they put on 2-3 inches.  At this point they are in a 5x7x8 room, and just the 4 take up just about all the available floor space CRAZY!

So umm, about how far into flower will they stop growing tall and start focusing more on bud production??

The very first day I switched them to 12/12, I tried to spread the top two stalks apart on the tallest girl in the room and it snapped the stalk in half right at the wishbone where it was topped. scared the crap out of me, I quickly put support around the break w/ a zip tie and has healed nicely since. With that said what can I do, or what should I do if they wont stop growing..

Its a 1000w setup with a Ushio HorLUX super HPS Red & Blue spectrum flower bulb.. the light itself isn't very hot at all, I can hold my arm against the glass and not get burned. But that doesn't seems to matter the tips show light stress still, not bad at all but it shows and if I cant raise the light I really cant defend the plants from the light ehh.. :thumbsd:

I'll post a few pics once I upload to the pc.

Trix
:bong2:

I tried to tie/bend, but they branches are to stiff to flex.

For sure to stiff to bend into anywhere near that much, and at the rate they are growing I will be out of room in a day or two.  So, I may have 4-6" till its at the max.

Trix

IMG_20130518_031902_0.jpg

fdfd4bc7-99ca-4ace-ab08-6f980c965f96.jpg

Here is a pic of the Main stem that cracked down the middle, day 1of Flower, healed nice around day 10

crackedstem2.jpg

crackedstem1.jpg

I would try to tie them back, but at 20 days they might be too stiff to work, your best bet is probably just to cut the tops down to match the lower colas and create a nice even canopy, you wont lose much if any because they're not to far along the plant will just send the energy to other buds. Also by cutting them back you may be able to yield more simply because the lower parts of them plants are bushy and have more mass then the tops, and don't look like they are get enough light to grow dense buds to me, by cutting back the tops you may be able to get more light to the lower branches, and get dense buds all the way down, improving productivity.. 

Indeed I did, But I didn't expect this much growth.

Its like a lush green jungle in there though, Its quite a experience going from a PT w/ a CG to growing your own... :startle:

So about how far into flower will most plants stop growing tall?

Trix

Supercrop em.....I just bend then till they kind of snap over....In a few hours the ends will start turning up toward the light....I'd go down at least a foot for the break...The branch will heal itself easily and be as stiff as if it grew that way when you harvest.....HJ

Edited by Hydro Jack

You can squeeze the stem gently all around the diameter of the stem.  This will create enough damage to bend the branch over, but not enough to kill the end of the branch. Try to tie it up so it has some support if you do this, then leave it alone for a week or two.  It will heal and be fine after a week or so.

I have read and watched so many videos on the methods you guys have been talking about, and I have seen first hand how resilient these plants are once wounded. I snapped one down the middle.

Its very intimidating to purposely harm your plants that you've been babying for 3 months, also doesn't damage cause stress and stress cause seeds while in flower?

Oh yeah and those pics are like a week old, much bigger as they sit.

You can barely see the stem on the colas, they are filling in well.

I got a simple fix for you.

Lay the pots on their sides kind of like fallen dominos.

The plants will adjust, I have stomped outdoor plants flat for concealment.

Far better than losing your colas to topping.

Also try to defoliate them about 30-40% before laying them down to get light penetration.

Worked fine for me in the past, don't see why it wouldn't work inside unless you are running hydro.

Good luck Trix.

Edited by ilynnboy

So.. yeah like the title says, I'm running out of room.

I'm not sure what to do, I only have 4 plants but they have reached the ceiling just about at the moment there approaching 7ft :phew:

thats great and all, thing is they are only 20 days into flower and I'm not to sure they are done growing yet every day they put on 2-3 inches.  At this point they are in a 5x7x8 room, and just the 4 take up just about all the available floor space CRAZY!

So umm, about how far into flower will they stop growing tall and start focusing more on bud production??

The very first day I switched them to 12/12, I tried to spread the top two stalks apart on the tallest girl in the room and it snapped the stalk in half right at the wishbone where it was topped. scared the crap out of me, I quickly put support around the break w/ a zip tie and has healed nicely since. With that said what can I do, or what should I do if they wont stop growing..

Its a 1000w setup with a Ushio HorLUX super HPS Red & Blue spectrum flower bulb.. the light itself isn't very hot at all, I can hold my arm against the glass and not get burned. But that doesn't seems to matter the tips show light stress still, not bad at all but it shows and if I cant raise the light I really cant defend the plants from the light ehh.. :thumbsd:

I'll post a few pics once I upload to the pc.

Trix

ahh just throw them away!!! and dont let them veg so big next time bawahahahahaha!!

Man I wish I had your problem! :yahoo-wave:

start bending and tying them down, dont bend it so hard as to break them! :watching:  and that will prob promote more growth also, what ever your gonna do, do it soon so they stay healthy and you get out of it what your supposed to or more!

Good Job, looking forward to seeing pics!

Peace

Jim

Edited by phaquetoo

You can squeeze the stem gently all around the diameter of the stem.  This will create enough damage to bend the branch over, but not enough to kill the end of the branch. Try to tie it up so it has some support if you do this, then leave it alone for a week or two.  It will heal and be fine after a week or so.

yea what he said!

I took a while to dial in to the size plant I needed.  Now I grow a plant in a 4 gallon pot until it's about three feet tall.  After I put it into flowering it will grow another two feet or so.  I cut down the amount of nutes a little from normal so I can grow a plant that gives me 2 to 2 1/2 ounces per plant.  That's about what I need each week for myself and my patients.

I have had disastrous results when cutting woody stalks in flower.  My theory is that if you chop the top off a plant and leave a gaping hole in the middle of the stalk, then the plant can't use vacuum/suction to move water/nutes and is either severely stunted or dies.  At least that's what seems to have happened to my plants.

Now, if I have a runaway stalk that is 12" taller than the rest of the plant, I tie some wire around the stalk a few days before I chop it down.  The wire closes off that wide xylem hole.  Then I bend the part to be cut down and give it a couple of days to repair the bend site.  Then I chop off the top.

If you have other parameters dialed-in, you should be able to substantially reshape your plants in the first 4 weeks of flower and still have a good crop.

Most plants will stretch until about week 5 or 6 but those plants look like they should slow down soon. I cut any top anytime it outgrows the rest of the canopy by to much,  I never had a problem doing so. The top i leave usually catches up with the other colas, and the hole heals pretty fast.  I work with a hardy strain that i know very well though. Once the lights burn them tops the rest of the plant wont be much good either. I say cut em back, the sooner the better.. and spread them branches out.

Iv never had to cut all the tops back, but i think its your only real option. Also the bottom of them plants look like they could use some pruning, my rule of thumb is if its not getting enough light to grow big fat flowers, i chop it, the plant will distribute the energy it was wasting on the lower growth to some place where it will do more good.