Medical Marijuana Collective Tries New Model

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (AP) — A group involved in supplying medical marijuana in Battle Creek is among those using a new business model designed with aims of operating legally in Michigan after the state’s highest court outlawed marijuana shops.

Brock Korreck, owner of the Higher Expectations Medical Partnership Compassion Club, told the   external_link_icon.pngBattle Creek Enquirer    that his collective now charges caregivers a one-time $100 fee for any new patient they are connected with through the collective and a $100 monthly fee to use the facility as a place of transfer.

Patients don’t pay fees under the collective’s new business model, and marijuana is no longer stored on site. It also connects patients with caregivers if they are in need of one, Korreck said, but doesn’t encourage members to become caregivers themselves.

“Nobody wants to meet in parking lots,” Korreck said. “Nobody wants people at their houses. Nobody wants to go to anybody’s house. This is a safe access point.”

Michigan voters in 2008 approved marijuana for some chronic medical conditions, but the Michigan Supreme Court in February slammed the door on marijuana shops. The court said owners of so-called dispensaries aren’t entitled to operate a business that facilitates patient-to-patient sales.

As medical marijuana dispensaries have shut down, some collectives have tried new business models in hopes of keeping their doors open. Some other facilities in the state require cardholders to register for a private membership, but the model hasn’t been approved in Calhoun County.

The county’s Prosecutor David Gilbert hasn’t said whether the Battle Creek collective’s new model is legal because he didn’t have the chance yet to see its operations firsthand. But he criticized new models’ charging of fees, saying it goes against the idea behind the law.

http://www.dailytribune.com/article/20130617/NEWS03/130619633/medical-marijuana-collective-tries-new-model

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it may not be worded right but I will add this........ Not everyone is comfortable meeting a new patient or caregiver...... Not everyone feels comfortable having a stranger over to their house. As a caregiver I would never have a patient over to my house unless they were someone I knew very very well and maybe not even then. I meet my patients at other places and sometimes in parking lots, kinda sucks....... But yea may not have been worded right (maybe to be deceptive) but there is validity to some of the concerns.

Now if we can only get a place to get a recommendation from that will hold up in court and the Doctor will back it up (Oakland County) 

and we can call it 

The Gold Standing certifying centers of Michigan where the Doctors will be trained on how to testify and then people will be able to have a Sec 8 jury trial 

Now if we can only get a place to get a recommendation from that will hold up in court and the Doctor will back it up (Oakland County) 

and we can call it 

The Gold Standing certifying centers of Michigan where the Doctors will be trained on how to testify and then people will be able to have a Sec 8 jury trial 

Why doesn't Dr Bob certify you two?

Dr Bob has certified us for FREE before but he is far away  from me now and i don't even need to be  rectified until April 2014 and i didn't even want him to be dragged thought the Courts as they did with all the  other Doctors 

we even brought in both of our Beaumont Doc and they did the same to them they didn't want to give us a Sec 8 hearing at all and thats why i post thing on here because most still think they can get a jury trial (Oakland County) 

NO one has had one YET 

It's perfectly legal.  Now that being said, why would anyone pay for this?  Really?  Any CGs here on this forum that would pay that price to meet their PTs?  It's just another way of someone trying to make money off of being a middle man and driving up MMJ prices.

It is a middleman, but they are providing a service of connecting patients and caregivers. Albeit, we do it for free,... maybe these prices are a little too high,... but, if it were $25-$50 it might be more reasonable depending on numbers.

I would say at least they are being innovative within the law and it is their first attempt at it. Things may balance. We need more "hubs" of connections for patients and caregivers.