Insulation And Design Help

sho

• 3 weeks later...

PROJECT UNDERWAY! Wound up being a few inches smaller than I planned... they'll be 7'10" x 10'4". Getting outer walls all framed in so I can muratic acid the floor and coat it in reflective 2-part epoxy.

AoH8zbN.jpg

yJobiaN.jpg

Edited by sho

Cool bussiness. Went with wood, eh? It is progressing nevertheless.  Was working on the wiring and decided I'd try to digest the Autocad_Electrical program. Slow going on that too, though mostly probably cause I ran out a meds. Off to see the Butcher in a min. to aleviate that pesky lil problem.

I would recommend one of these for your lighting control if you're still planning to have all the lights.  gallery_2767_852_9470.jpg

This is not the correct model, need the one capable of two timers [110v] can get more lites too if nec. Back soon ...   keep up hte good work!  That's a CAP controller btw...

Edited by solabeirtan

That's a little ways down the road... I've got a Titan 4 light 240v timer/controller I'm going to use until I get $$$ to buy 10 more hoods and 4 more ballasts.

That med problem is a stubborn one... too bad you weren't closer and could come help ;)

PS: Went with wood only because I didn't want to order 200 steel studs in advanced of the project... with wood I can just buy it local as I go. I don't have a license, or a truck, so I'm always hitting my dad up for a ride.

Edited by sho

Back wall only has a few screws so in a month or two when I've got $$$ I can get the spray-foamers in.

No wiring for the grow is going in the walls, it'll all be in conduit inside the room. Keeping everything contained is priority.

Joists run L-R in pic, I added 2x4 "struts"? screwed into each joist to give me room for foam  (1.5") and a place to screw drywall to, hang lights, whatever. They're plenty sturdy, drywall spans 24" OC... but it's the cieling in the grow, no worries if it's not perfect.

** FOAM DROPS IN THIS PIC. Looks like it's holding a wall up, but it's actually my living room. It's a "sunk in" living room, with 8" drop, so I had to compensate and shorten that wall up. I've got a little bit of a "bulkhead" in the one room, which will kinda be handy for mounting two fans.

E02JEsc.jpg

Ripped out the "work room" to continue my walls, didn't do it earlier because I needed the extra plugs

wZ6xs40.jpg?1

Swept floors make me happy... etching them for finish won't, however.

5465NYL.jpg?1

Edited by sho

Didn't get much done last night... dinner, baby was fussy, kids didn't go with their dad till almost 8 o'clock, and I flat out felt lazy. Plan on getting the rest of my studs up tonight and acid etching the floor so I can paint tomorrow morning and let cure for a few days.

Good for you Sho! You got your prioritys in good order. Babies are  cool.  About the floor idea: Theres two schools of thought on that one too, just saying. I prefer the bare concrete but cleaned w/ abita soap n rinse. Maybe a little help from the ShopVac on wet n dry.  Very forgiving, again your  call...

ps  Not that familiar with modulars [so I had to ask]. I've never seen a cieling like yours. I understand now though that you have a piece of plywood on the cieling that is covering your floor joists. I also dont see any other duct work ? Also I see your existing lighting is installed onto this plywood / w the wiring subsequently residing above it, with the duct work. Am I correct or is there anywhere you can look up in there? Or maybe cut a square outta it on the joists so you can take a gander. My thoughts are about utilizing this space for ...something! ... What kind of joists are they? I-joist maybe? 2 by ?

Edited by solabeirtan

Nothing I guess, I just want to be able to see anything on the floor, and help brighten the rooms up. Doesn't really affect the grow, more just personal satisfaction of having a room squeaky clean and bright white.

Also skipping buying a stainless steel mop sink and going to pour one out of concrete over the existing drain. Going to pour it same size as washer/dryer and install a service faucet above it with threads to screw on a hose. Behind the faucet will be a RO system.

I will NEVER flush messy donkey plants again! I can simply set them in mop sink, and let 10 gallons run through them with no mess!

Edited by sho

Good for you Sho! You got your prioritys in good order. Babies are  cool.  About the floor idea: Theres two schools of thought on that one too, just saying. I prefer the bare concrete but cleaned w/ abita soap n rinse. Maybe a little help from the ShopVac on wet n dry.  Very forgiving, again your  call...

ps  Not that familiar with modulars [so I had to ask]. I've never seen a cieling like yours. I understand now though that you have a piece of plywood on the cieling that is covering your floor joists. I also dont see any other duct work ? Also I see your existing lighting is installed onto this plywood / w the wiring subsequently residing above it, with the duct work. Am I correct or is there anywhere you can look up in there? Or maybe cut a square outta it on the joists so you can take a gander. My thoughts are about utilizing this space for ...something! ... What kind of joists are they? I-joist maybe? 2 by ?

Hot water heat,  no ducting in the house. 2x6 floor joists and they don't span greater than 11'. Mostly all they're used for is running wiring, I'll be pulling a few wires through for the rest of the basement.

Also, all the lights currently in the ceiling are disconnected. There'll be one CFL in the veg area on the ceiling as a main light/work light. neither flower room will have extra light so no accidents happen with leaving a light on during dark, or something dumb.

hmmm ok. Apparently if they're 2x6s then the plywood on the bottom is an integral feature, to make a box frame or diaphram type structural system. Otherwise 2x6s at 16" oc max span #2,2x6 = 10'6" ...So not a lot of load bearing capacity there either esp  like around the center. We'll work it though.

How about the floor? any drains, sumps ? 

You're correct, not counting the 6" center beam (4 2x6's on metal posts), it's 10'6" exactly to the inside edge.

There's a drain just outside the entry door, next to washer/dryer in the laundry room. This is where the mopsink/flushing station will go.

Right , and anything else that leaks out, as they tend to do from time to time. Including anything it can pick up [float] along the way, so. Does it have a grate on it.  I would suggest a simulation is in order.  How well will water drain from everywhere to there. You might consider facilitating it a little ? Try a small amount of water on the floor, [this is how I clean] see which way it goes. Ok hopefully you have one of those cheapo nylon brooms around, I think I saw one... see how hard it will be to get it into the drain. 

Ok then, with that, I think we have most of the basics covered. 

Edited by solabeirtan

:yahoo-wave: I've just gotta buckle my donkey down and get to friggen' work. I've spent most of the day AT work researching grow designs, products for the floor, mop sinks, faucets, etc.

Problem comes again that I don't have a truck to go grab 20 more sheets of drywall, 6 more foam boards, and 30 more 2x4's ...

:yahoo-wave: I've just gotta buckle my donkey down and get to friggen' work. I've spent most of the day AT work researching grow designs, products for the floor, mop sinks, faucets, etc.

Problem comes again that I don't have a truck to go grab 20 more sheets of drywall, 6 more foam boards, and 30 more 2x4's ...

Delivery is out of the question  ? How bout a trailer?  Your doing good though, this is kinda critical time, the planning, lay-out,  etc. Fixtures are like final finish. We just gotta plan it, stub em out, prep for finish.  Hopefully you dont  have  to many changes...     Are you marking the studs in the cieling?

Got all my bottom plates down, and scrubbed the floor once for the Sherwin Williams Tile Clad in Bright White and Rexthane Urethane coating. Should have enough that I can do the boiler room and laundry room too.

tCURCnv.jpg?1

Working around plumbing in the cieling... idk, maybe you're interested Sola so I snapped a pic or two for you.

gHhjxjN.jpg?1

WTrP3hR.jpg?1

Best of all... found one girl knocked over with a big pile of kitty doo-doo in it. Apparently dirt is his preferred litter box. he's never done this before, so I had to improvise a temp. home for the girls.

4t8NtYM.jpg?1

Edited by sho

Nice job Sho, covering those pipes. See there's Elec up there too? Isnt that a cable running alongside the copper pipe? Thats kinda what I was thinking about for your grow. If you put a couple boxes up there in the two grow rooms flanking the clone ? area in between.

I had the elec panel going in the room with the Washer/Dryer. Just a suggestion / something else to keep in mind before we finalize the plan. Would still be fairly easy, but unfortunatley not effortless. Wish I was closer really, but then I wouldn't be here?

No kiity-litter box? Maybe he wants you to clean it ? My cat was furious when I started building rooms in his basement. Left me "messages"   daily while I raced to get the door on the hinges, and lay siege to part of his castle. So any way I took half the basement, teachin him how to share. So after I'm up an growing he'd sit at the top of the stairs whining to come and see him, like he was jealous of the plants. Like I'm spending too much time with them...  

Edited by solabeirtan

Kitty's got a box, it's just not Dad's job to change it... haha.

No pipes, that's where modular panels meet. It's a 3/8" gap and was just a convenient place to run the plumbing I suppose. All electric is ran above that plywood, through the joists except what was done by the last handyman-owner.

$344 on materials again today... Should be enough to finish framing, I'll need another 10 sheets or so of drywall... 16 if I want to finish laundry room while I'm at it. So far I'm at around $1400 spent... AT LEAST another $4-5g's to go. (AC, controllers, additional ballasts, another T5, shelving system, fire door, hoods [though I may go bare bulb and just up my AC tonnage]).

j9QfPUR.jpg?1

Hey speaking of Fire. Someone turned me onto these things last night, but could should be a consideration. esp if it was unattended for any length of time. 1 more thing, I know,right,  anyway for future reference, I'll throw in a link to the other grow too so you see us on there at the end haven't got confirmation [if this is the exact model] but pretty sure it is.  The 6k Grow

Right, that's her. Whaddaya think. Cheap insurance ? I'm considering one or two for the Fall when we start-up again. Like "peace of mind", how much is that worth? ..............wow was that a piece of my mind?  or a pizza mine, damm I need some meds. 

gallery_2767_852_62447.png

Thought I'd share this, it's an earlier ver. Playing with the SW. wiring is only two 15a lighting circuits. Left em in for grins. Shows my proposed Elec Pan Loc, anyway... swithes, lights... No 220v yet

Edited by solabeirtan