Groups Want $2 Bills To Send Message On Marijuana

SOUTHFIELD (WWJ/AP) - Advocates pushing for broader legalization of marijuana in Michigan hope to send a message of support — and economic clout — by spending $2 bills.

Supporters of the cause are being asked to spend at least one of the typically less-used $2 bills for every cash purchase for the three weeks. The effort kicked off on Wednesday.

Steven Greene, a 45-year-old South Lyon resident, said he picked up $200 in $2 bills from a credit union in Southfield. Greene, a state-registered user of medical marijuana and a caregiver licensed by the state to grow medical marijuana for others, said the use of the bills could remind people of possible tax revenue from marijuana sales.

“People will also realize, if you arrest us, you’re taking that same money out of circulation, and you’re spending tax dollars to put us in jail,” he said.

Michigan voters approved marijuana for some chronic medical conditions in 2008, but the state Supreme Court ruled in January that medical marijuana dispensaries aren’t allowed. Michigan has roughly 130,000 registered users of medical marijuana.

“We want this $2 drive to spark conversations in chambers of commerce and during business lunches of shop owners,” said Rick Thompson, editor of the Flint-based Compassion Chronicles website. “They’re going to start to realize they shouldn’t just dismiss this big segment of Michigan’s economy.”

Thompson also hopes to reach marijuana opponents who have not been swayed by other arguments for widening marijuana legalization.

Carol Mastroianni, executive director of the Birmingham Bloomfield Community Coalition, said she was disappointed to learn of the $2 bill drive. Her group is one of dozens of similar nonprofit community groups that promote drug-free lifestyles for youth.

“To me, the whole medical marijuana thing is not supposed to be about economic clout. It’s supposed to be about health and quality of life,” Mastroianni said.

Original article here.

Carol Mastroianni, executive director of the Birmingham Bloomfield Community Coalition, said she was disappointed to learn of the $2 bill drive. Her group is one of dozens of similar nonprofit community groups that promote drug-free lifestyles for youth.

“To me, the whole medical marijuana thing is not supposed to be about economic clout. It’s supposed to be about health and quality of life,” Mastroianni said.

Yes Ms. Mastroianni, and as Executive Director of the coalition you must also understand how malicious prosecutions of sick people adds immensely to their health and quality of life. Throwing someone in jail and abusing them at every opportunity will no doubt provide immeasurable future health benefits for them. We are lucky to have such well informed and well intentioned people like you running the opposition to marijuana. Keep up the good work.

Translation: "We don't want to lose our funding."

My quality of life was non existent walking around zombie out on 750 hydracodones now with natural cannabis I feel like I'm alive again so quality of life is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Amen to that! They had me on six different narcotics when I was in the hospital and I feel so much better now that they're out of my system. All they do is mask the pain but don't do anything to address the cause.

I'm still on narcotics and I love them!  I'm like the poster boy for hydrocodone.  It's been a miracle for me.  I can lead a fairly normal life and I don't have the nasty side effects that some people get from them.  When I've told my friends that I take 80 mg of hydrocodone a day, they usually freak out and ask me why I'm not sleeping all the time.  I had to go on the pain meds after MMJ wasn't helping with the pain from pancreatitis anymore.  Pancreatitis is considered to be the most painful disease you can suffer from.  If you don't belief me, ask a doctor or look it up.  Pain killers have changed my life for the better and I know several people out there that feel the same.  I still use MMJ for the constant nauseau.