Out Of State Patient

I have extreme stomach issues, constant nausea and need my medicine to get through the day without being sick.

I am visiting from out of state and have my state card and id in the state I live (Hawaii). 

Michigan law seems to honor out of state id and patients, However it is not safe to fly with the medicine and risk being arrested.

I called a few clubs/dispensaries in ann arbor and Detroit area and ALL say they know its legal for out of state but they don't help out of state patients..and keep telling me to try down the street.

Can anyone direct me to a club in the Detroit suburbs that would be of service to an out of state patient.

If you would rather private message me, that's fine.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Michigan! Unfortunately our law isn't very easy to work with here. In order to obtain medicine so that it's legal for all parties involved, you will have to take these steps

1. Obtain Michigan Residency and a Michigan State Identification (Driver's licence or ID card)

2. See a physician and get certified to use Medical Marihuana

3. Mail your application packet to the State

4. Wait 21 days until after the state receives your paperwork, and now you are considered legal.

5. Now you can go about finding a caregiver to supply you with medicine or you can start growing your 12 plants.

Sucks, but it's the law here.

somebody please correct me if I am wrong...

but an out of state card has the same force and effect as an in state "already issued card."

this person should be able to fill out a change form... submit a copy of their state issued patient id card and personal identification credentials and then submit a change form and apply for a Michigan caregiver. 

the wait time for that to take effect is a question.

the plausibility of them denying an out of state credential is a question.

it should work this way....

then an out of state person would have the change form and be permitted to assign a Michigan caregiver... they could not however come here on vacation and "become a patient" for that you would need residency... to apply for a caregiver you must already be a patient registered in another state before you can use a change form.

not sure on this...

just always been my interpretation.....

there is no legal facility to acquire meds other than filing a change order and completing the registration process. 

somebody please correct me if I am wrong...

but an out of state card has the same force and effect as an in state "already issued card."

this person should be able to fill out a change form... submit a copy of their state issued patient id card and personal identification credentials and then submit a change form and apply for a Michigan caregiver.

the wait time for that to take effect is a question.

the plausibility of them denying an out of state credential is a question.

it should work this way....

then an out of state person would have the change form and be permitted to assign a Michigan caregiver... they could not however come here on vacation and "become a patient" for that you would need residency... to apply for a caregiver you must already be a patient registered in another state before you can use a change form.

not sure on this...

just always been my interpretation.....

there is no legal facility to acquire meds other than filing a change order and completing the registration process.

So if that Cali patient has a rec for 99 plants the mich cg could grow them? The state isn't gonna let you be a cg for an out of state patient I can't believe this is even being discussed.

So if that Cali patient has a rec for 99 plants the mich cg could grow them? The state isn't gonna let you be a cg for an out of state patient I can't believe this is even being discussed.

no.. those are guidelines for cali growing...

we have different guidelines here we have to follow.  our caregiver guidelines... not any other states... but if you sign them.. and have medicine available then there is no reason you cannot legally transfer to them.

has it been tried?

to anyone's knowledge?

out of state id and patient card submitted with a change form to allow a Michigan caregiver?

Edited by mibrains

Im not living or moving to Michigan, just spending every august to visit and see family, etc...  I am not changing  my residence or ID....

I am legal resident of Hawaii with a state mmj card... this should automatically allow me to posses in Michigan, its just im landing in a non mmj state on my way so its not safe to bring. 

Its certainly legal for me to obtain and use in Michigan because Michigan reciprocates/ recognizes out of state prescriptions...

I was just hoping someone could help a real and licensed out of state patient get their needed medicine...

Im not living or moving to Michigan, just spending every august to visit and see family, etc... I am not changing my residence or ID....

I am legal resident of Hawaii with a state mmj card... this should automatically allow me to posses in Michigan, its just im landing in a non mmj state on my way so its not safe to bring.

Its certainly legal for me to obtain and use in Michigan because Michigan reciprocates/ recognizes out of state prescriptions...

I was just hoping someone could help a real and licensed out of state patient get their needed medicine...

You may be able to find a compassionate person willing to break the law and sell you medicine Edited by Natesilver

You do realize you're asking someone to break the law on a public forum, right? If you were a michigan patient, an unregistered cg to patient transfer would be covered under section 8 assuming the proper steps were taken. But as an out of state patient, the "unregistered caregiver" would have no chance at a sec 8 defense. Like I said you might be lucky and find someone willing to break the law and sell to you. By the way, be careful driving thru Oakland county or other mmj unfriendly areas, good chance they'll arrest you with a Hawaiian med card. And you are aware that hash, medibles, and oil are illegal now right?

Edited by Natesilver

In addition to mmj/medical....didn't Detroit and surrounding counties decrim?

Yes personal possession. They didn't decrim selling marijuana. You are asking someone to sell you marijuana in such a manner that the person transferring can't even claim a section 8 defense. What kind of medicine are you looking for just out of curiosity?

You do realize you're asking someone to break the law on a public forum, right? If you were a michigan patient, an unregistered cg to patient transfer would be covered under section 8 assuming the proper steps were taken. But as an out of state patient, the "unregistered caregiver" would have no chance at a sec 8 defense. Like I said you might be lucky and find someone willing to break the law and sell to you. By the way, be careful driving thru Oakland county or other mmj unfriendly areas, good chance they'll arrest you with a Hawaiian med card. And you are aware that hash, medibles, and oil are illegal now right?

not sure why you think an unregistered transfer to a non-connected pt has more weight under section 8 than an out of state transfer with change form...

also I disagree...

I never asked anyone to break any laws.

to the contrary I suggested you follow the law..

assign the Michigan caregiver while you are here.. change it back before you leave.

simple.

keep your plant rights..

the caregiver your looking for wont need them. 

I respectfully disagree. What if everything goes wrong and people get arrested? The cg has to have an evidentiary hearing for section 8? Assume this is in Oakland county. The prosecutor calls the out of state patient to testify. Is he/she still in the state? Will they come back to testify? What if the prosecutor challenges the validity of the out of state patient's medical condition? What if the out of state patient has a condition not covered in michigan? You are giving very dangerous advice

Edited by Natesilver

I haven't given any advice.

none

so back up there

next... how else can an out of state patient get meds?

I have said since day one... they must hire a caregiver like everyone else....  no special treatment.

if your only argument is what happens if something goes wrong then all I will say is make sure you do it right... according to the documents you present to the state for approval.

assign the Michigan caregiver while you are here.. change it back before you leave.

Unless you wait until the 21 days has passed you WILL HAVE to rely on section 8. And we don't even know if the state will approve a resident of michigan being a caregiver for a resident of another state with a different law. I strongly urge anyone reading this to not engage in this type of behavior. Your freedom is on the line

Edited by Natesilver

the 21 bus days is the time for your patient application to be processed and your card to arrive in your hand or your paperwork will act as your patient card until it arrives.

it has nothing to do with the change form.

we have confirmed that through LARA who said... we don't know how long it will take us to process change forms... but as long as we want..

so time is immaterial as it pertains to applicable protections.

it is legally binding to both parties in Michigan the moment its executed... not when its been accepted by the state.

not the point....

at all

the point is.. how else can an out of state patient legally obtain meds?

there HAS to be a way

even if its ridiculous

it has to be there our law specifically addresses it.

Edited by mibrains

it is legally binding to both parties in Michigan the moment its executed... not when its been accepted by the state.

To suggest this when we don't even know if the state would approve of a michigan resident being a cg for a resident of another state is the height of irresponsibility

But I am thrilled that you understand unregistered cg to patient transactions are legal. (Amongst michigan residents). Welcome to the team!

Edited by Natesilver

To suggest this when we don't even know if the state would approve of a michigan resident being a cg for a resident of another state is the height of irresponsibility

your absolutely misunderstanding me nate

I am not here to argue with you about it.

I apologize if you don't understand where I am coming from and how the change form is executed in MI vs the application approval process.. you must know what your signing before you sign it in Michigan law.  be sure to understand the implications of a written contract before you enter into one.

I am not suggesting by any means anyone try this.. 

I am only saying what other way is there?