Medicare Part D Wants To Issue A Fine Because They Cant Find Records?

my friend got a letter in the mail saying she would be fined (on a monthly basis) unless she could prove she had prescription coverage for the past 6 years.

i called medicare for her and they were unhelpful.

they said the michigan state medicaid? database didnt report her as covered for the last 6 years.

shes lost and i'm running out of ideas. next step is to dig into the records and see if she had any

prescription plans with the various pharmacies.

has anyone else gotten this letter or knows anything about it?

what is the max penalty/fine they could issue?

shes on SSI/disability and has zero income to pay, aside from her disability check each month.

do they expect her to pay from that ?

I also called because i do have part D and  i am paying over $50 a month but i am a Vet and the VA charges me $8 per RX and they don't write RX out side of the VA so i called and told them i don't need part D because i do not get ant RX from anyone else  and won't be needing it  so they said OK we will just take it out of your S.S.D check every month 

you can not cancel part D 

Prescription club card won't count.  You have to be enrolled in a insurance program.  When I first got Part D they were sending me something every week explaining the program and gave me a deadline in which to enroll in the program.  I think your friend either didn't get those or ignored them at the time.

It's a shame she's been paying for her prescriptions though.  They would have been free if she had enrolled.

imo we have only seen a small part of the new health care bill it's only the beginning  of things to come 

This has nothing to do with the new health program.  This goes back to when they passed Medicare D back in 2003.  She needs to choose a coverage plan in her area.  When she does, she'll be getting her prescriptions for free.

• 3 weeks later...

Your pharmacies should be able to tell you what prescriptions were filled, the date, and the payor. They are happy to print those reports out for you.

three different pharmacy chains were only able to print off the last 2 years of records.

medicare wanted 2006-2012.

Edited by t-pain

If she gets SSI (Supplemental Security Income) she gets State Medicaid automatically. If she gets RSDI (Retirement, Survivors,Disability Insurance) she has to apply to see if she is eligible for State Medicaid.

There are two different Social Security payment programs for different classes of people. Disabled people who don't have enough work credits to qualify for RSDI will get SSI.