Governor Says Half The State Qualifies For Medical Marijuana

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, the agency led by Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette that also administers the Michigan Medical Marihuana Program for the State, has encouraged Governor Snyder to designate the month of September, Pain Awareness Month.

The Attorney General’s office has declared that 4 million Michiganders suffer from chronic pain, nearly half the State’s 9,876,187 residents, a serious concern that has been growing. Both the Governor and Attorney General are advocating the use of non-opioid medication to treat chronic pain, including medical marijuana as an alternative treatment method. It is with no doubt that chronic pain is the single leading reason for the use of medical marijuana as reported by the department and reported in the Detroit News earlier this year.

This shift in sentiment about marijuana is due in large part to common sense, and the fact that our leaders are concerned for the health of Michigan citizens, specifically, the effects that many prescription pills can have on an aging population and shrinking State budget. As the number of medical marijuana users in the State increases, it will be in part to the efforts of our brave and compassionate leadership in the State Government.

Governor Snyder’s Press Release http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277-57577_59874-285197–,00.html

September 2012: Pain Management Awareness Month

WHEREAS, millions of Michiganders of all ages feel the impacts of chronic pain; it is estimated that undertreated and untreated pain costs Michigan citizens as much as $16 billion annually in health care expenses, lost productivity and lost wages; and,

WHEREAS, many types of treatment, both non-pharmacological and pharmacological, are available to manage or greatly ease most pain; when pain is properly treated, many people can resume their normal, active lives; and,

WHEREAS, Michigan is a nationally recognized leader in the development of pain management policies and statewide strategies to educate health care professionals and the public in an effort to improve pain and symptom management in our state; and,

WHEREAS, during this month, we continue to raise awareness of chronic pain issues in Michigan; we encourage citizens throughout the Great Lakes State to learn more about the issues and to respect the conditions of those living with chronic pain;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Snyder, governor of Michigan, do hereby proclaim September 2012 as Pain Management Awareness Month in Michigan.

Pain Management Month, dang, great find Bob, can't believe this escaped me. What a concept.

WHEREAS, millions of Michiganders of all ages feel the impacts of chronic pain; it is estimated that undertreated, untreated  and mistreated pain costs Michigan citizens as much as $16 billion annually in health care expenses, lost productivity and lost wages; and,

Works out to almost $1800 / for every citizen in Michigan!  9,000,000 of em!

Wowzers, this was done in 2012 and we are just learning of it ?!

Great find Bob, thank you.

Has billy bong finally realized that his fight against Cannabis is futile ?

I honestly do not think this is about relieving the suffering of MI residents.

This is purely a political move, imo.

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, the agency led by Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette that also administers the Michigan Medical Marihuana Program for the State, has encouraged Governor Snyder to designate the month of September, Pain Awareness Month.

The Attorney General’s office has declared that 4 million Michiganders suffer from chronic pain, nearly half the State’s 9,876,187 residents, a serious concern that has been growing. Both the Governor and Attorney General are advocating the use of non-opioid medication to treat chronic pain, including medical marijuana as an alternative treatment method. It is with no doubt that chronic pain is the single leading reason for the use of medical marijuana as reported by the department and reported in the Detroit News earlier this year.

This shift in sentiment about marijuana is due in large part to common sense, and the fact that our leaders are concerned for the health of Michigan citizens, specifically, the effects that many prescription pills can have on an aging population and shrinking State budget. As the number of medical marijuana users in the State increases, it will be in part to the efforts of our brave and compassionate leadership in the State Government.

Both the Governor and Attorney General are advocating the use of non-opioid medication to treat chronic pain, including medical marijuana as an alternative treatment method. It is with no doubt that chronic pain is the single leading reason for the use of medical marijuana as reported by the department and reported in the Detroit News earlier this year.

Can't believe they had the nerve to throw in the last line!

Governor Snyder’s Press Release http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277-57577_59874-285197–,00.html

September 2012: Pain Management Awareness Month

WHEREAS, millions of Michiganders of all ages feel the impacts of chronic pain; it is estimated that undertreated and untreated pain costs Michigan citizens as much as $16 billion annually in health care expenses, lost productivity and lost wages; and,

WHEREAS, many types of treatment, both non-pharmacological and pharmacological, are available to manage or greatly ease most pain; when pain is properly treated, many people can resume their normal, active lives; and,

WHEREAS, Michigan is a nationally recognized leader in the development of pain management policies and statewide strategies to educate health care professionals and the public in an effort to improve pain and symptom management in our state; and,

WHEREAS, during this month, we continue to raise awareness of chronic pain issues in Michigan; we encourage citizens throughout the Great Lakes State to learn more about the issues and to respect the conditions of those living with chronic pain;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Snyder, governor of Michigan, do hereby proclaim September 2012 as Pain Management Awareness Month in Michigan.

Now this looks like news we can use.

Yea I agree........ You gotta love the line that says we can owe our bump in registered patients to the brave and compassionate work of the STATE GOVERNMENT........ WoWWWWWWWWWWWzzzzzzAAAAAAAAAA.............. Edited to add.....LOL that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

I hope this is not a lead up to something against us...... Pretty bad when we fear every little move and word but that is reality for us.....

Edited by ozzrokk

Yea I agree........ You gotta love the line that says we can owe our bump in registered patients to the brave and compassionate work of the STATE GOVERNMENT........ WoWWWWWWWWWWWzzzzzzAAAAAAAAAA.............. Edited to add.....LOL that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

I hope this is not a lead up to something against us...... Pretty bad when we fear every little move and word but that is reality for us.....

the appellate court found the MMMA did not make the possession or cultivation of marijuana “legal.” Instead, the found that any possession of marijuana continues to violate the Public Health Code and is indicative of a criminal act sufficient for a probable cause finding. The court held:

i can tell  because you see the light 

Thanks

Will there be workshops, special education, speakers, buttons, flyers, health fairs, or just lip-service?

There can always be letters to media editors, to legislators and the Governor, and even meeting with your elected representatives in Lansing or during home office hours or anywhere you can buttonhole them. It is not too early to start drafting correspondence or to begin contact.

At this time, there is no activist organization to plan, organize, direct, and control group efforts. Maybe one can be devised.

Lip service? That is entirely up to you.

There can always be letters to media editors, to legislators and the Governor, and even meeting with your elected representatives in Lansing or during home office hours or anywhere you can buttonhole them. It is not too early to start drafting correspondence or to begin contact.

At this time, there is no activist organization to plan, organize, direct, and control group efforts. Maybe one can be devised.

Lip service? That is entirely up to you.

Excuse me? If the state had decided to make September Pain Management Awareness Month, it is for the state to present workshops, special education, speakers, buttons, flyers, health fairs, not me.  If these types of events and information is not provided and presented to the public at large, then Pain Management Awareness Month is just lip-service. What is entirely up to me is my attendance to an affair, if I hear of one.