Too Much Cannabis Causes Nausea Cramps And An Overwhelming Desire To Shower...

CAN YOU SAY PROPAGANDA?

For daily marijuana users seeking relief from nausea, doctors now say that using too much for too long can have the opposite effect in rare cases — triggering abdominal cramping, vicious vomiting and an overwhelming urge for a hot shower.

Yes, a shower.

In cases of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, doctors theorize that the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, overwhelms the body’s autonomic nervous system, which normally controls breathing and digestion and other automatic functions, said Dr. Cassius Drake, medical director of the Emergency Department at Henry Ford Health Center-Brownstown.

http://www.freep.com/comments/article/20130726/FEATURES08/307260105/marijuana-vomiting-anti-munchie

Abstract

Background and aims: To explore the association between chronic cannabis abuse and a cyclical vomiting illness that presented in a series of cases in South Australia.

Methods: Nineteen patients were identified with chronic cannabis abuse and a cyclical vomiting illness. For legal and ethical reasons, all patients were counselled to cease all cannabis abuse. Follow up was provided with serial urine drug screen analysis and regular clinical consultation to chart the clinical course. Of the 19 patients, five refused consent and were lost to follow up and five were excluded on the basis of confounders. The remaining nine cases are presented here and compared with a published case of psychogenic vomiting.

Results: In all cases, including the published case, chronic cannabis abuse predated the onset of the cyclical vomiting illness. Cessation of cannabis abuse led to cessation of the cyclical vomiting illness in seven cases. Three cases, including the published case, did not abstain and continued to have recurrent episodes of vomiting. Three cases rechallenged themselves after a period of abstinence and suffered a return to illness. Two of these cases abstained again, and became and remain well. The third case did not and remains ill. A novel finding was that nine of the 10 patients, including the previously published case, displayed an abnormal washing behaviour during episodes of active illness.

Conclusions: We conclude that chronic cannabis abuse was the cause of the cyclical vomiting illness in all cases, including the previously described case of psychogenic vomiting.

Keywords: cannabis, cyclical vomiting syndrome, hyperemesis, marijuana, psychogenic vomiting

Wow, 9 whole cases!

When you add in the 'washing disorder' they had, then it seems more likely it's OCD related vomiting;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC518984/

Every person in this study should have had a mental health assessment done prior to taking part in it, and given the personal history, anxiety disorders should have been looked for and ruled out. And any time vomiting is involved in a person's health issues and no specific physical condition can be found as its cause, there is most likely a psychological condition that is the basis of the problem.  

Both the vomiting and the obsessive washing indicate an anxiety disorder, and any 2nd year undergrad psych student would have seen that.

More BS science from the anti-cannabis people.

CAN YOU SAY PROPAGANDA?

In cases of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, doctors theorize that the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, overwhelms the body’s autonomic nervous system, which normally controls breathing and digestion and other automatic functions, said Dr. Cassius Drake, medical director of the Emergency Department at Henry Ford Health Center-Brownstown.

Good Lord! I hope I never have to go to that hospital,they are apparently unaware of every study done on this subject since the 1970's.

I wonder if they use hot cups for bleeding out bad humours or do they still rely on leeches?

Wow.

That is some pretty sad scientific conclusioning going on there. :-)

The first thing I thought of when they said taking a shower was, hey... these people have just been puking their brains out ans sweating and feeling icky.  I would want to wash off the grimy icky feel too. :-)

But yea,... if it is obsessive,... well,... I think we all have the answer already. :-)

Its awesome to see the reaction from facebook posters all positive towards cannabis how can the feds look at these comments and still believe cannabis is dangerous there has to be over 300 years combined use from all of the posters on this story time to wake up politicians .

Its awesome to see the reaction from facebook posters all positive towards cannabis how can the feds look at these comments and still believe cannabis is dangerous there has to be over 300 years combined use from all of the posters on this story time to wake up politicians .

The word dumbasz comes to mind.

Edited by GregS

I tried to look at this from different perspectives/possible scenarios.......

If they had another illness, unidentified, say for example Crohn's Disease.........  The smoke from anything, when inhaled, can cause stomach upset/vomiting. 

When my Crohn's is rampant and seriously out of control, smoking anything automatically makes me gag/vomit.  

Just trying to come up with a rational possibility for this study and this is the only one I could fathom as a possibility.

As for the showering thing -  Hot water often helps soothe abdominal cramping.  There are many times when I get up in the middle of the night and take a very hot bath.  NO, its not the MMJ causing my need for the hot water (DUH), more along the lines of the desperation to end the pain. 

This study is ridiculous, unless the participants had another illness/disease contributing. 

What really convinced them is that 51% of those studied wad their toilet paper rather than fold it, which as we all know is contrary to and completely opposite from the split in the general population.

Dr. Greg

Edited by GregS

CAN YOU SAY PROPAGANDA?

For daily marijuana users seeking relief from nausea, doctors now say that using too much for too long can have the opposite effect in rare cases — triggering abdominal cramping, vicious vomiting and an overwhelming urge for a hot shower.

Yes, a shower.

http://www.freep.com/comments/article/20130726/FEATURES08/307260105/marijuana-vomiting-anti-munchie

The operative word here is "rare". They don't go on to explain just how rare it is, but finding this out may highlight the degree of concern that medical marijuana patients will want to have regarding this study.

Perhaps theres a small number of people that cannibanoids and thc react differently too...9 people is hardly enough for a study like this.

There can be idiosyncratic reactions to any medication.  Nice to have the concept in your back pocket, but I would view this as what we refer to as a diagnosis of exclusion.  FIRST prove it isn't anything else, then put it in this trash can.  

The only relevant finding I saw that supported the syndrome was a report on a couple of the patients that stopped, no longer were nauseated, then restarted and the nausea returned.  That is supportive, but not conclusive.  There are other factors that could just as easily come in to play, like anxiety over using an illegal drug or worrying about violating some study protocol.

Just a poor, inconclusive study in general.

Dr. Bob