Funding The Carruthers Appeal

How does one donate? I went to the home page. There is a button there to "Donate to the MMMA" but I don't see a button to specifically donate to this cause. Is the "Donate" button on the home page a universal donation button?

BTW. I am going to cough up $40. It hurts and I will give up something this month, but if we win it will be worth every penny.

Edited by Chauncy Gardner

How does one donate? I went to the home page. There is a button there to "Donate to the MMMA" but I don't see a button to specifically donate to this cause. Is the "Donate" button on the home page a universal donation button?

BTW. I am going to cough up $40. It hurts and I will give up something this month, but if we win it will be worth every penny.

Well done my friend, each gives what they can.  Together we all get it done.

Yes it is all good.  Please rest assured that there is double redundancy in regard to policing the account. 

Earl Carruthers didn't want to handle the money himself so that he could avoid even the appearance of impropriety.  To avoid the same appearance of impropriety redundant controls are policing this account.  When we wrap this up and send the money off to Carruthers' attorney then Earl will also be given access to confirm account transfer histories and be sure everything went as it should.

As most of you know, Carruthers has indicated his desire to appeal his disastrous COA case.  I have been in contact with him and he has given his approval to begin fundraising.  He has also indicated his desire to have the money handled by a 3rd party rather than have control over it himself.  He doesn't want any allegations of wrong-doing with the money. 

In an effort to jumpstart this fundraising I have started a paypal account to fund his appeal.  Carruthers has yet to choose counsel but when he does the money will be forwarded to his attorney in his name.  In an effort to keep this all in the open I am inviting certain members of the MMJ community to participate in overseeing the account.  Oversight will generally consist of monitoring the account for any outgoing monies as well as participating in managing the fund (making sure the money gets to its intended destination).  Members who agree to participate in oversight will be named upon their acceptance of the duty.

I expect that money will be disbursed from time to time as it accumulates.  At some point, when it appears gifts are drying up, the account will be closed and all money will be disbursed. 

There may also be designated collectors for the campaign for a boots-on-the-ground effort at various events. 

Lastly, should Carruthers fail to appeal for any reason, or if there is an excess of donations as compared to final cost, the money will go to Cannapac which is a political action committee whose purpose is to support medical marijuana.  More can be found about Cannapac here: http://cannabispatientsunited.org/cannapac

It's time to part with some cash people.  If you like making extracts, etc., then this case affects you.  Let's make this effort a success and not an embarrassment.  It is time to come together for at least this particular sub-cause.  Let bygones be bygones and give freely.   Please note that your donation is a gift to Carruthers and not tax deductible.

edited to add:  Donors will remain confidential.  Although if you do not mind being publicly named you can mention that and I may name some donors.  That may help spur other donating.  I don't know.  Just a guess. 

I was asked for an estimate for costs for appeal.  That is hard to pin down.  A lot will depend on how much of the research and writing from the briefs to the COA can be salvaged and reused at the MSC.  Much more will depend on other factors.  I think it is safe to say that we are looking at near $10k for retainer alone and much more than that to get through oral arguments.

pixel.gif

Please donate to the Carruthers appeal.  See the thread on this forum or ask someone around here how to donate.  Or donate via paypal to the email address CarruthersAppeal@gmail.com.

I have people requesting a way other than pay pal to donate.  I am not finding 'the thread' on this forum so... I am asking 'someone', is there a physical address in which to send

money orders/ personal checks ?

Boots on the ground need to be able to take any form of payment for donation on the spot as... telling a person/s willing to donate that you aren't able to process their donation means we may loose potential donations. How are we to handle cash transactions as foot soldiers ?

Do 'you guys' have that part figured out?  I am ready to hit the ground running but... feel I /we need need some source materials to help those who do not know of this

COA ruling nor Earl Carruthers... to assist in explaining and getting those donations.

my lil 02

Thank you

Donate early and often.  If you use extracts or know someone who does then this case affects YOU!

T-shirts or buttons that say either "I am Carruthers" or "WE all are Carruthers".

It could go 'viral'. I have had several people say they would wear such a t-shirt :)

Please be patient with unclaimed donations.  When you set up a new paypal account they expect you to add a bank account from which payments can be sent.  Even though this was set up to just receive donations paypal still wants that bank account.  So you add the account.  Then paypal does 2 or 3 very small deposits and withdrawls on that account.  Just pennies each.  Then you have to report back to paypal the exact amount of deposits and withdrawls made by paypal to verify the account.  They do this over the course of a few days.  Once th account is verified paypal will accept the payments.  So please be patient.  The payments will be accepted soon.

no answer for my questions ? :huh::(

Donations can be mailed and an address will be provided hopefully by tomorrow.

As for collecting on-the-ground, I am working on getting someone to whom we can delegate that authority (to collect at the upcoming gathering on the 24th for example).  I personally do not want to handle cash donations alone.  It is just opening yourself up for accusations of mishandling.  Look at what Cain did to Komorn for example.  Cain slandered Komorn and accused him of all sorts of mishandling with MMMA money.

I suppose that, in the end, someone will have to collect cash ay?  Any volunteers?  Anyone interested in hitting up dispensaries, grow shops, GC3, etc.?  Someone step up.

As for collecting on-the-ground, I am working on getting someone to whom we can delegate that authority (to collect at the upcoming gathering on the 24th for example).  I personally do not want to handle cash donations alone.  It is just opening yourself up for accusations of mishandling.  Look at what Cain did to Komorn for example.  Cain slandered Komorn and accused him of all sorts of mishandling with MMMA money.

I suppose that, in the end, someone will have to collect cash ay?  Any volunteers?  Anyone interested in hitting up dispensaries, grow shops, GC3, etc.?  Someone step up.

Oh yes, I recall that mess very well.

Thank you for answering so quickly and for doing all you are to get this off and running.

I have no issues collecting cash if need be.  I just want something that will give whom ever chooses to do so, some type of 'official' gear, garb or w/e so people know we are for real  and not just scamming cash. Receipt books ?

Like signature collectors, etc...  something anyway.

I see there are cell phones now that will swipe credit cards... and they do have portable credit card 'swipers' also.

Do I make up my own T Shirt with my nifty Sharpies that says "I/WE AM/ARE CARRUTHERS" ? :D

I've never done fund raising of any sort but I am READY.

Edited by imiubu

We will put a can (clearly labeled with info on this case) out for donations at the event.  All monies will be counted at the end of the event and verified by several attendees/3MA members.  The amount will be made public here and forwarded to the Paypal account set up by Caveat.  That should be fairly simple.

Unless of course Caveat wants to come and explain the case and collect the funds :P  

Although we say "No Agenda's", this case does indeed affect us all.

A.M.C.S will also donate a portion of our raffle proceeds to this case, once we learn the case is actually going to proceed to the S.C.  

The bulk of the costs associated with this get together have come directly out of my own shallow pocketbook.   The purpose of the raffle is to help offset some of that, so the amount we will be able to donate is dependent on the amount of proceeds.   (just to be clear on the "terms") 

Edited by northerngal

O  I just want something that will give whom ever chooses to do so, some type of 'official' gear, garb or w/e so people know we are for real  and not just scamming cash. Receipt books ?

Like signature collectors, etc...  something anyway.

I see there are cell phones now that will swipe credit cards... and they do have portable credit card 'swipers' also.

Do I make up my own T Shirt with my nifty Sharpies that says "I/WE AM/ARE CARRUTHERS" ? :D

I've never done fund raising of any sort but I am READY.

Maybe whoever is caretaker for the PayPal account can set something up here:

http://www.cafepress.com/uploaddesign

They put your uploaded picture on various products like t-shirts and mugs and you can set up an online store to sell them. Proceeds could go directly to the fund.

510_230x230_Front_Color-White.png?region           488_230x230_Front_Color-NA.png?region=%7

post-13717-0-34508000-1376939058_thumb.jpg

We will put a can (clearly labeled with info on this case) out for donations at the event.  All monies will be counted at the end of the event and verified by several attendees/3MA members.  The amount will be made public here and forwarded to the Paypal account set up by Caveat.  That should be fairly simple.

Unless of course Caveat wants to come and explain the case and collect the funds :P  

Although we say "No Agenda's", this case does indeed affect us all.

A.M.C.S will also donate a portion of our raffle proceeds to this case, once we learn the case is actually going to proceed to the S.C.  

The bulk of the costs associated with this get together have come directly out of my own shallow pocketbook.   The purpose of the raffle is to help offset some of that, so the amount we will be able to donate is dependent on the amount of proceeds.   (just to be clear on the "terms") 

Thanks ng. I expect to make it and am looking forward to the banging of the drum for this issue.

Thanks ng. I expect to make it and am looking forward to the banging of the drum for this issue.

I am glad you will be able to make it and you are feeling better!!  :)

As a reminder: 

This is a "no agenda's" get together and I do not want it turned into a "Carruthers fundraiser".   As I said, I funded/organized this event and things will go according to the word I have put out there all along  :)

Do not get me wrong, this is an important case and needs community awareness.  I support educating people further on the issue at the event and making people aware of how to help.  I appreciate everyone's help educating others!! (Thank you Greg S. for offering to help here-perfect "job" for you :) ) There will not be pressuring and preaching. I do not want several people soliciting the attendees for cash and then my group being held accountable for monies others collected. There will be a can at the event to accept cash donations (accounted for as said above) and the paypal address will be shared.  (preferred method if one is able)  

Edited to add:  This post is not intended to be mean, rude or offensive to ANYONE.  I am short for time right now and am trying to get my point across  :)  

Edited by northerngal

I am glad you will be able to make it and you are feeling better!!  :)

As a reminder: 

This is a "no agenda's" get together and I do not want it turned into a "Carruthers fundraiser".   As I said, I funded/organized this event and things will go according to the word I have put out there all along  :)

Do not get me wrong, this is an important case and needs community awareness.  I support educating people further on the issue at the event and making people aware of how to help.  I appreciate everyone's help educating others!! (Thank you Greg S. for offering to help here-perfect "job" for you :) ) There will not be pressuring and preaching. I do not want several people soliciting the attendees for cash and then my group being held accountable for monies others collected. There will be a can at the event to accept cash donations (accounted for as said above) and the paypal address will be shared.  (preferred method if one is able)  

Edited to add:  This post is not intended to be mean, rude or offensive to ANYONE.  I am short for time right now and am trying to get my point across   :)  

Not offensive at all. I appreciate your being straightforward.