Funding The Carruthers Appeal

Please donate to the Carruthers appeal.  See the thread on this forum or ask someone around here how to donate.  Or donate via paypal to the email address CarruthersAppeal@gmail.com.

I have people requesting a way other than pay pal to donate.  I am not finding 'the thread' on this forum so... I am asking 'someone', is there a physical address in which to send

money orders/ personal checks ?

Boots on the ground need to be able to take any form of payment for donation on the spot as... telling a person/s willing to donate that you aren't able to process their donation means we may loose potential donations. How are we to handle cash transactions as foot soldiers ?

Do 'you guys' have that part figured out?  I am ready to hit the ground running but... feel I /we need need some source materials to help those who do not know of this

COA ruling nor Earl Carruthers... to assist in explaining and getting those donations.

my lil 02

Thank you

Donate early and often.  If you use extracts or know someone who does then this case affects YOU!

T-shirts or buttons that say either "I am Carruthers" or "WE all are Carruthers".

It could go 'viral'. I have had several people say they would wear such a t-shirt :)

I like the T-Shirt idea alot, I'll take two!

As most of you know, Carruthers has indicated his desire to appeal his disastrous COA case.  I have been in contact with him and he has given his approval to begin fundraising.  He has also indicated his desire to have the money handled by a 3rd party rather than have control over it himself.  He doesn't want any allegations of wrong-doing with the money. 

In an effort to jumpstart this fundraising I have started a paypal account to fund his appeal.  Carruthers has yet to choose counsel but when he does the money will be forwarded to his attorney in his name.  In an effort to keep this all in the open I am inviting certain members of the MMJ community to participate in overseeing the account.  Oversight will generally consist of monitoring the account for any outgoing monies as well as participating in managing the fund (making sure the money gets to its intended destination).  Members who agree to participate in oversight will be named upon their acceptance of the duty.

I expect that money will be disbursed from time to time as it accumulates.  At some point, when it appears gifts are drying up, the account will be closed and all money will be disbursed. 

There may also be designated collectors for the campaign for a boots-on-the-ground effort at various events. 

Lastly, should Carruthers fail to appeal for any reason, or if there is an excess of donations as compared to final cost, the money will go to Cannapac which is a political action committee whose purpose is to support medical marijuana.  More can be found about Cannapac here: http://cannabispatientsunited.org/cannapac

It's time to part with some cash people.  If you like making extracts, etc., then this case affects you.  Let's make this effort a success and not an embarrassment.  It is time to come together for at least this particular sub-cause.  Let bygones be bygones and give freely.   Please note that your donation is a gift to Carruthers and not tax deductible.

edited to add:  Donors will remain confidential.  Although if you do not mind being publicly named you can mention that and I may name some donors.  That may help spur other donating.  I don't know.  Just a guess. 

I was asked for an estimate for costs for appeal.  That is hard to pin down.  A lot will depend on how much of the research and writing from the briefs to the COA can be salvaged and reused at the MSC.  Much more will depend on other factors.  I think it is safe to say that we are looking at near $10k for retainer alone and much more than that to get through oral arguments.

pixel.gif

Bump

If your contribution is over $100, state law requires that you disclose your employer.?

Well that leaves me out i guess 

I have no employer, I collect ssdi which I paid into the system, if they didnt keep mine alone to collect its own % rate, well that is uncle sams prob, because I get a fed pay check does not mean they are my employer, it means im getting back some of what I put in, donate cash if you dont want records kept, im sure there are people like me who would gladly donate my share and others thru pay pal and I dont give a rattzz azz what uncle sam says, im about thru with this b.s, big government is killing us, and none of these idiots can figure out the big cash cow the have in front of them, we have pts and many industry people who would love to grow cannabiss for anything you can do with a tree, plastic, fabric, clothing, you name it and cannabiss can be used to produce it, farmers would be able to make a ton of cash on hemp and pay their fair taxes and so would so many other industrys, I dont know why the idiots in the white house dont see how much can be made on both sides of the cannibiss plant, medicine and farming for big industry (not pharmicuticals) tarps, paper, flags, sails, blah blah we all know can be done with cannabiss, the only thing that cant be done with legal cannabiss is po po cant put legal pts and growers in jail and seize all cash and property's,  it is still the same problem as its always been, the government dont know how they will make all the money from it, they know people will grow whether it is legal to or not, so leave us law abiding citizens alone and keep your fight up with the mexican cartles, we dont want there business any how!

Phew to much coffee this morn lol!

Peace

Jim

The Carruthers donation jar raised $80 at the get together this weekend.  The jar was opened in the presence of over a dozen other people, with at least 4 regular 3ma members present. 

The money will be forwarded to the Paypal fund as soon as it can "claim" funds.  If "Caveat" would like the $ sent directly to him, he may forward me the information to do so.   

Imiubu collected funds for this case independently as well, so she is sure to chime in once she makes it home. 

A couple hundred more in the Carruthers fund!  (few more drops in the bucket)

Thanks guys.

Please be patient.  Money will be claimed ASAP.  Believe me, we don't want to leave your money unclaimed!!  Paypal, for whatever reason, didn't or wouldn't verify my business account info so I have resorted to adding my personal bank account info.  Please give it another couple of business days.  I will let you know when the money SHOULD be claimed.  So relax until then please.

Thanks guys.

Please be patient.  Money will be claimed ASAP.  Believe me, we don't want to leave your money unclaimed!!  Paypal, for whatever reason, didn't or wouldn't verify my business account info so I have resorted to adding my personal bank account info.  Please give it another couple of business days.  I will let you know when the money SHOULD be claimed.  So relax until then please.

back to the top. this needs to get done

Hello hello,

After many meetings with attorneys we finally finalized the attorney team on Saturday, August 24th. The team will consist of Appellate Attorney Stuart Friedman and Co-Counsel Michael Kormon & Neil Rockind. We can call them the "Brownie Dream Team(BDT)"

I've been through many attorneys and I am confident in the BDT's real experience & victories in regards to medical marijuana and in bringin there A game to the table.

We raised $420 (yea 420) in claimed funds as of the morning of Sat, Aug 24th. The cost to start is 7500. The BDT is being very flexible with us to start the application process without full payment as they are more concerned with the impact this case has on the entire mmj community if it does not go to SC and will dedicate hours before being fully compensated.

The goal is to raise 20,000. I believe we should put money where our heart is and will see how many hearts are with the patients who depend on edibles and extracts as medicine.

Now is the time to collaborate on joint fundraising projects. I did get to some clubs and they are spreading the word to their members. I love the t-shirt and merchandise ideas. Also have a tentative location for fundraising gathering in Ferndale on Sunday, Sept 15.

Let me know any other thoughts.

Thanks

Carruthers

I have hit up some places as well and they are passing the word along and are supposed to be hitting the donation link (I really hope they do). The shirt idea is great in my opinion. I am Carruthers on one side and got brownies on the other sounds like it would work out. I do not know how much it costs to have the shirts made but if we could get them made for a fair price and then sell them for a little more then it could really help this push.

Anyway we can get some like jerry's kids cans going,  I have a few places i frequent that would more than likely allow the placement of that type of donation.  Maybe just get some labels printed and put them on some type of plastic jug.  The idea may of all ready been brought up i have not read the whole thread.  

PS.  how about a good old fashioned bake sale lol...

Every once in awhile, the Court of Appeals issues a legal opinion that, if it is allowed to stand, causes panic, grief and angst among medical marijuana patients and caregivers.  In 2013, the Court of Appeals issued an opinion in the People of the State of Michigan v Earl Carruthers that sent shockwaves in the medical marijuana community.  The opinion changed the definition of “usable marijuana” and the legality (under 333.26424, the immunity section of the Medical Marijuana Act) of medibles, extracts and concentrates.   To many patients, the Carruthers opinion doomed the manner in which they relied on medical marijuana, i.e., through making extract from plant material and either using extract/concentrate (wax) or putting into edible form for oral consumption.

Neil Rockind and Stuart Friedman, two of the lawyers who worked on the Clinical Relief case, are getting involved in the Carruthers case in order to challenge the opinion that extract is not protected by Section 4, i.e., 333.26424.  Rockind and Friedman will be joined by Michael Komorn, another veteran of the marijuana wars in this important case.

Stay tuned for updates on the Carruthers case.

I'll match dollar for dollar (up to $100) on all donations from this board for the rest of the day. 

I'll stand with in vivo. so now it's two bucks for your one. this needs to have people pushing, showing we put our money where are mouth is 

Edited by jaman

Anyway we can get some like jerry's kids cans going,  I have a few places i frequent that would more than likely allow the placement of that type of donation.  Maybe just get some labels printed and put them on some type of plastic jug.  The idea may of all ready been brought up i have not read the whole thread.  

PS.  how about a good old fashioned bake sale lol...

I'd love some brownies