Looking For A New Medium

Robman

i have grown with happy frog, ocean forest, roots, and coco spagnum peatmoss, and i just havent found that medium that works best for me, i have been thinking about putting together my own mix something like super soil or the kiss recipe, where i will just have to water strait water pretty much, im trying to find out what you guys are using medium wise, and what works well for you. thanks

Coco and pro mix work the best for me.  I got rid of coco because of mixing perlite.  Now it's straight pro mix bx out of the bail, no mix.

The best I ever used is not economical at all, it's $1 per gallon, no breaks.  Now it's discontinued.  Used to be sold in 3 gallon bags.  It was a cactus mix that worked great for cannabis.

Coco works extremely well right out of the bag without mixing in perlite. Straight coco is definitely the medium that has the most overall success amongst Birmingham Compassion members.

I agree.

But then I got crabby about the price.  A commercial bag of perlite is $20, so it's real cheap to dillute the coco 50/50.  I think it's $6 in bricks for a 5 gallon of straight coco.  I tried both, both work good.

There's this mix made by Fafard for cactus that is about the same consistency as coco, but tastes better than coco and yields similar.  It's expensive and discontinued.  It was $5 for a 5 gallon.  It's still on the Internet.

I rank it that stuff, then coco, then promix.  I go with promix so I can be lazy.  I don't want to mix and match mediums and if I go the full caregiver route, then I'm looking at 300 - 1,000 gallons in medium.  I dig coco a lot for hobby growing, and it's worth committing to commercially, I just chose different based on - price, availability, consistency and minimum labor.

I like the coco with perlite because it helps with watering issues.  Coco can't dry out all the way and can take on lots of water.  I like that the perlite adds air into the mix and prevents overwatering.  Coco has a good flavor and works well with organics.  Organics and coco go a long way in creating probably the best flavor possible.

I tried coco once and found it to be a hassle. First I had to soak the dried bale for hours in order to make it usable, then I had to wash it prodigiously in order to raise the pH. It was seriously acidic even after soaking it in water that was 8 pH.

Maybe I was using a bad brand of coco? What is the best coco brand to use?

I like the reusability of coco.

This time around, rather than using a mother plant, all the plants are going to be mother plants.

I liked revegging last time around.  I'm working on running twice and root pruning with a repot after the 2nd reveg.

I've heard of many houses keeping around a plant for 15 or 20 years.  How's it smoke?  We shall see.