Carrier Oils

What was/is your favorite carrier oil for topical applications? (when such medical applications were legal)

I'll be experimenting with jojoba, hemp, and fractionated coconut oil.

Have you used any? What's your experience with carrier oils? Ever use them in an atomizing spray bottle?  

I don't yet understand it's advantages, but emu oil is mentioned in a number of patents for transdermal delivery methods. 

The use of surfactants seems to be another commonality.Surfactancts can increase the bioavailability of compounds that have poor water solubility. Here's an example:

3:1 of polyethylene glycol/polysorbate 80 resulted in a 21 fold increase in oral bioavailability.  

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378517303004770

Each test tube has 10ml of fractionated coconut oil, 40mg of cannabis concentrate, and 80mg of magnolia extract.

The test tube on the right was placed in a crock pot with a water temp of 150f for an hour with insufficient bonding. The M-extract drops to the bottom. The cannabis concentrate looks like little oily bubbles floating around in the coconut oil.

The test tube on the left was placed in 200-225f water. Once the temp of the oil was sufficiently raised you could visibly see the bonding occur. This took about two minutes.

If you want you carrier oil to hold your concentrate evenly, you need to sufficiently raise the temperature so they bond.

Edited by in vivo

I'd like to mention that the Beyond CB1 and CB2 paper (page 603) they talk about some of the receptors that are activated by various fatty acids. It's possible to gain therapeutic benefit by using the fatty acids that would potentially provide the most therapeutic benefit for you. If you're interested in the regulation of insulin, or increasing leptin and chemotaxis in white blood cells, you may want to look into this.       

I've decided to go with 4mg of cannabis concentrate, 4mg of m-extract (honokoi 88.2%, mangnolol 11.1%), and .01ml terpenes, per ml of the carrier oil. 

The THC is a partial CB1 and CB2 agonist with CB1 selectivity. The m-extract is a CB1 and CB2 partial agonist with CB2 selectivity.

I'll be using essential oils that contain linalool and limonene as their main constituents. They smell nice and are both skin penetrants. I'll also be using an essential oil with b-caryophyllene as it's main constituent. b-caryophyllene is a CB2 agonist.

Activating both receptors should increase therapeutic benefit associated with pain and inflammation.   

The fractionated coconut oil works well in the 100ml amber bottles with the atomizer pump. There's about 700-750 sprays/applications.

Edited by in vivo

Thanks. Many know about the importance of infusing concentrates to their carrier oil, but it sounds like some aren't being properly infused (if they're separating). If it's properly infused/bonded there should be no separation of the concentrate from the carrier oil (unless you begin to reach full saturation).    

Coconut oil with many other essential oils, similar to PB oil, is what i start with for my topical balm.

When it was legal, I would add that to Burts Bees a farmers friend in a 50/50 ratio while melting in 200mgs rso per ounce for a nice smelling and very effective topical pain reliever. 

Never had any separation issues even when accidentally remelted and hardened again. This product starts to go liquid at around 75 degrees. 

I have never tried doing a topical spray but like the idea. Thank you for that.

I looked briefly at "holy anointing oil" and PB's oil (which I view as a spinoff of holy anointing oil). There's many of the same terpenes in some of those essential oils that I'm interested in. I'll likely experiment with them later down the line.

I like the idea of balms as well.

I'm noticing that propylene glycol is often being used to enhance transdermal (sublingual/topical) delivery methods. I'm surprised that I didn't realize this previously. I knew I'd be using it for sublingual methods, but it never occurred to me to use it with the topical as well.   

I posted the essential oils that I'll be trying in the Entourage thread.

Here's a great resource for information on olive oil:

http://www.agbiolab.com/resources.html

Two pdf's of particular interest:

Not all olive oil is created equal, and there is a period during the season when polyphenol levels are highest. 

Edited by in vivo

I dunno if it is really that complicated. About a quarter oz in about twelve oz of any light vegetable oil, brought to temp and held for an appropriate amount of time, will yield oil that can be taken about a tbsp at a time, will taste nasty, just like medicine, and work like medicine. Effects can be expected in about twenty minutes. The oil can be used on salads or in recipes.

Bon appetit.