Proactive

This could be filed under Patient Issues or Caregiver Issues -

Who's taking the offensive and what is being done, regarding medical marijuana restrictions, freedoms and what's on the way, courtesty of your local lawmakers?

The Medical Marihuana Act was passed because a group of people got together to push an agenda towards that end.  They succeded.  Then, everyone went home.  Or, at least it seems that way.

Municipalities and cities are pushing forward their own ordinances and restrictions, rather people in representative positions are pushing forward special interests.

I think it arises out of a desire to simply be left alone, on the part of Patients and Caregivers.  I feel people misunderstand that the fight for fair treatment is far from over, it's an ongoing process.

The big problem or shortcoming that I see is, that few are actually asking for anything tangible, short of being left alone.  Come up with a list of things you want, and work to see it manifest in your local government, before others do it first, and you're left in the wake of reacting to their proactive approach.

I think it would be wise to create a list of demands, freedoms and desires before many freedoms become settled law.

Build a castle and defend it, waiting for it to be taken back?  Or build a castle, and build another just over that mountain top?  You decide.

It seems like the goal should be a major win for the medical marijuana community with each election cycle.  The MMA was victory one, but what's the second objective?  Or is there one?  Or was only a single victory planned and won, with no other collective objective in sight?

the offensive currently has been running decrim ballot initives in the big cities.

you may remember 2012 had flint, ypsilanti, detroit, grand rapids, kzoo decrim.

2013 has jackson, ferndale, lansing up for decrim.

a statewide BI is more difficult because it requires some cash for petitioners/volunteers.

also the fknrepublicans in the house and senate made it harder to start a statewide BI after the 5 ballot initiatives we had in 2012.

because the people tried to repeal the EFM law and give unions a constitutional protection. and fknrepublicans dont like it when you go around them.

Collective objectives are difficult within this community, because of the dynamic of continued law enforcement. Unfortunately, there is no relief for patients or caregivers until "full" legalization, specifically meaning that the cultivation, manufacture, distribution, possession, and use of marijuana are no longer illegal.

Obviously, other actions related to marijuana may be illegal or penalized in the future, i.e. driving while impaired or selling to kids, but until the basic actions listed above are legal, nothing will get better for patients and caregivers in the real world.

There is no doubt whatsoever that this change will come, if at all, through a ballot initiative only, not from the legislature.

Beyond that, the struggle is in the courtroom for now, and I believe many in the community are focused on that.

Continued progress in housing, employment, CPS issues, physicians denying care to patients, etc. is also needed, but nearly impossible to mandate by law, so the courts are again the path to change.

Absolutely, 100%, completely agree.

No doubt of it.

It IS coming and we will MAKE it happen.

I think if we took all the forfeiture money from people painting just outside the lines since the medical laws passed, there would be enough cash available to push the initiatives.  I see it as pay now, or maybe pay later.

Just a thought I had some morning.

the offensive currently has been running decrim ballot initives in the big cities.

you may remember 2012 had flint, ypsilanti, detroit, grand rapids, kzoo decrim.

2013 has jackson, ferndale, lansing up for decrim.

a statewide BI is more difficult because it requires some cash for petitioners/volunteers.

also the fknrepublicans in the house and senate made it harder to start a statewide BI after the 5 ballot initiatives we had in 2012.

because the people tried to repeal the EFM law and give unions a constitutional protection. and fknrepublicans dont like it when you go around them.

Edited by greenleaf

The downside I see to fighting it out in court, is that it requires someone to be sacrificed in most instances.

The municipalities have the pleasure and luxury of always being on the offensive and in a position of gain in a criminal case.

I think fighting it out in court would be great if the MMMA was suing municipalities on an ongoing civil basis and pushing as an offensive.

At this point the association has the option of reacting to whatever is imposed on the general public and their members.

Just saying, the MMMA and its supporters are coming from a defensive position, and it would be nice to be on the side of the offense for once.  I'd rather throw punches than take them.

There is no agreed upon plan to pay for the representation we need. Some of these issues could be challenged in court. That takes money. Electioneering and lobbying takes money to work the players. Effective organization costs money.

Around here in my hometown of Clio, America, we can have anything we want, as long as we make the payments.

Where restrictive ordinances are concerned, we are waiting on the Supreme Court decision in Ter Beek. Until then we will not know if the COA opinion that local government ordinances are void and unenforceable will be upheld. The court might affirm that part of the decision. Or maybe not.

Make up your list.There is a lot you can do. Have coffee with your local government reps. You can work with Lansing. Perhaps write Rep. Irwin regarding the issues. He is out front with some of your points in the legislature. Maybe stop by the capitol and wander the halls some afternoon. Wasting a legislator's staffer's half hour is always fun. If you can buttonhole the legislator it can be downright hysterical. They do take phone calls and read their mail; well, mostly.

Edited by GregS