Three Raids Confirmed In Detroit, One In Warren; Ann Arbor Raid Follows Walled Lake And Ypsilanti Federal Actions

Three raids confirmed in Detroit, one in Warren;  Ann Arbor raid follows Walled Lake and Ypsilanti federal actions

For the third time in three weeks, DEA agents have executed a state-issued warrant and raided a Michigan medical marijuana dispensary. In a seemingly unrelated series of actions, Detroit area dispensaries have seen at least four raids on distribution centers within the past week- including one in the city of Warren.

People’s Choice in Ann Arbor was raided on Tuesday, August 20. Special Agent Rich Isaacson of the DEA confirmed to media that his federal agents had executed a state-issued warrant on the facility. Insiders say that there were no arrests made; People’s Choice announced via social media that they would remain closed until further notice.

One of nine facilities allowed to operate within the city but without an ordinance protecting them, People’s Choice is also a member of the Ann Arbor Medical Cannabis Guild. The Guild is one of Michigan’s most powerful cannabis business groups. Ann Arbor is internationally famous for their permissive attitude regarding marijuana: the city is the site of the annual Hash Bash celebration, they pioneered the $5 fine for marijuana possession in the 1970-s and that decriminalization model has been duplicated elsewhere.

On July 30, DEA agents raided a licensed medical marijuana facility in Ypsilanti and, two days later, raided a distribution center in Walled Lake. Agent Isaacson confirmed that all three raids consisted of federal agents executing a warrant issued by state judges. None of the search warrants used in the three raids have been made available to attorneys representing those facilities, making definitive proof of this impossible to attain.

In Detroit, officers raided Green Cross and Chronic Releaf on 8 Mile Road; Shake and Bake on Schaefer Highway near 7 Mile Road; and Relief Choices, a clinic in Warren. In the Green Cross raid, state police and agents of the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were reported to be involved. The other three raids were conducted by Detroit police officers. Additional raids in the city have been rumored but are difficult to confirm.

In the Detroit Police Department (DPD) raids an unusual pattern has emerged, one of a quick entry and a quick exit. Officers are snatching marijuana and money but making no arrests, forfeiting no automobiles and usually leaving no official documents to prove they were ever there. A warrant was reportedly left with the Warren raid at Relief Choices but a copy of that document was not available for review.

In one of the DPD raids, officers arrived in a dilapidated mini van and a blacked-out SUV bearing no lights nor official markings. These ‘smash and grab’ raids seem to end when the easy money is found or when business employees produce cameras and start taking pictures.

Journalist and host of WFNT’s radio program, “The Political Twist Up Show” (PTU), Steve Greene, contacted the DPD. They refused comment on the raids. Greene said, “I called the Warren police department and they seemed to have no idea the raid had even taken place.”

National cannabis rights organization Americans for Safe Access (ASA) has a Michigan chapter and they issued a raid alert in response to the action in Ann Arbor. Michigan has a robust cannabis community and an active media presence; interviews and more details about the raids will be discussed on the Planet Green Trees Internet broadcast and the PTU broadcast on both the Internet and on real radio.

In Ypsilanti, one local police officer who was observing the federal raid brought city officials to the building to observe and document a code violation: an ashtray in a back room containing what appeared to be two partially-burned marijuana joints. The alleged cannabis cigarettes were never taken by the various police agencies involved; they were never tested and the only real evidence available is a single photo. Consuming cannabis on site is a violation of the facility’s business license and, after a shocking attempt at revoking that license, the business owners have accepted a 60-day suspension of operation as a penalty.

The use of DEA agents to serve state-issued warrants is of a particular concern to Michigan’s licensed and registered patient base of over 130,000 citizens. 1.6% of all adults in Michigan are registered as patients in the Michigan Medical Marihuana Program. In Ypsilanti, city officials cooperated with the raid team while in Walled Lake, local officers refused to assist federal agents; the DEA reportedly pulled in police from surrounding communities to provide support during the raid.

XXXX  I'm a big fan of the people @ shake & bake.  I was told they ghosted for safety by another shop.  Guess that means I didn't win the raffle the day of the raid.  I was supposedly there about 30 minutes before it happened.

I went to SB the day after, and an Oak Park police car was parked in their outer lot.  There were several new people working there that I've never seen, the day of the raid.  The bud tender looked nervous, for some reason.  See the same guys all the time. 

Makes me wonder if there were feds working at SB for a day, because of the 2 new tenders I have never seen before, working side-by-side with the regular tenders.  Probably not.  Weird.

And, I noticed that A was gone that morning.

The bottom line is, they were probably pushing lots of product, to the tune of $1,000's a day, so they'll be alright and had to have planned for this.

Edited by mibrains
removed offensive word

XXXX I'm a big fan of the people @ shake & bake. I was told they ghosted for safety by another shop. Guess that means I didn't win the raffle the day of the raid. I was supposedly there about 30 minutes before it happened.

I went to SB the day after, and an Oak Park police car was parked in their outer lot. There were several new people working there that I've never seen, the day of the raid. The bud tender looked nervous, for some reason. See the same guys all the time.

Makes me wonder if there were feds working at SB for a day, because of the 2 new tenders I have never seen before, working side-by-side with the regular tenders. Probably not. Weird.

And, I noticed that A was gone that morning.

The bottom line is, they were probably pushing lots of product, to the tune of $1,000's a day, so they'll be alright and had to have planned for this.

I dont know how they were pumping 1000s a day they had the poorest quality iv ever seen and way over priced but that's just my opinion

I really have to disagree on poor quality. Chewbacca OG was like being strapped to the front of a 747.  Even the cat digs smoking Deadhead OG, she only smokes the happy kushes.

I think they have the best commercial grade edibles available at a michigan dispensary, granted I haven't been back to Ann Arbor in 2+ years and haven't completed the tour of all metro area shops.  I've easily got 30+ prescription bottles from their shop.

On cashflow, the lobby and lot is always half-full or better after Noon, and I'm there 2 or 3 times a week to drop in and say hi and get a small purchase.  I'm cheap and I grow, therefore if I'm dropping $15 or $20 a visit, they're drawing in $100 every time I'm in the lobby.

@ $280, $560 and $700 an ounce, and 31 flavors, I'm sure they're banging out some cash, because those containers are selling out in a matter of a few days.  A place like this could probably run through 1-2 lbs. a day at retail prices.  Just do the math.

It's entirely possible to sell $20,000 in merch a week for a dispenary owner.  That's why people do it.  I'll miss the chewy OG and the orange cream.  A toothpick put me into a coma.

I really have to disagree on poor quality. Chewbacca OG was like being strapped to the front of a 747. Even the cat digs smoking Deadhead OG, she only smokes the happy kushes.

I think they have the best commercial grade edibles available at a michigan dispensary, granted I haven't been back to Ann Arbor in 2+ years and haven't completed the tour of all metro area shops. I've easily got 30+ prescription bottles from their shop.

On cashflow, the lobby and lot is always half-full or better after Noon, and I'm there 2 or 3 times a week to drop in and say hi and get a small purchase. I'm cheap and I grow, therefore if I'm dropping $15 or $20 a visit, they're drawing in $100 every time I'm in the lobby.

@ $280, $560 and $700 an ounce, and 31 flavors, I'm sure they're banging out some cash, because those containers are selling out in a matter of a few days. A place like this could probably run through 1-2 lbs. a day at retail prices. Just do the math.

It's entirely possible to sell $20,000 in merch a week for a dispenary owner. That's why people do it. I'll miss the chewy OG and the orange cream. A toothpick put me into a coma.

I will give you that they were busy as far as edibles I cant speak on that I didn't get them I only bought flower from them.

What I take away from it is, The Feds are here.

It's interesting, I wondered if it would become like California here, so far as DEA goes.  I've never seen a DEA person in my life.  Secret Service, FBI, State Police, sure, but never the DEA.  I heard they only have a handful of people stationed here, pretty minor for being a major shipping point for heroine.  This is a weird town.

Anyway, wondering if there are going to be more DEA hired on or moving here, and if DEA raids will become a nightly news event.  What's funny is, the DEA could probably close every pot shop in Michigan over 2 weekends, but instead of that, they have strategies to manage what's going on rather than stopping it, if they so choose.

What I take away from it is, The Feds are here.

It's interesting, I wondered if it would become like California here, so far as DEA goes.  I've never seen a DEA person in my life.  Secret Service, FBI, State Police, sure, but never the DEA.  I heard they only have a handful of people stationed here, pretty minor for being a major shipping point for heroine.  This is a weird town.

Anyway, wondering if there are going to be more DEA hired on or moving here, and if DEA raids will become a nightly news event.  What's funny is, the DEA could probably close every pot shop in Michigan over 2 weekends, but instead of that, they have strategies to manage what's going on rather than stopping it, if they so choose.

The DEA hires members of other agencies.  There are many members of county and state agencies that are also federal agents.  That way they can keep more people by paying less.  It's like working full-time as a county deputy, and part-time as a DEA agent.  In many cases one individual can represent both agencies.

They could have employess stationed at some of these places to try to catch there major suppliers. Who knows, ive been out of the disp loop for quite some time now for fear of exactly whats about to start happening.

Sounds like a smart play.  On your part.

And thanks for saying Cellia. That's news to me.

You know what I think really sucks about these raids?  Every time they raid a dispensary they get the list of people that bought or sold at that dispensary and add them to the list of known MMJ patients they are making because they can't legally get the list from LARA. 

If you don't want the local LEO knowing that you're a MMJ patient, it'd best to stay out of the dispensaries.

Well Bob, they aren't legally able to access the registry through LARA.  We do know from a memo that they are making a list of all MMJ patients that they encounter through their normal channels, i.e. arrests, traffic stops, dispensary raids, etc.  If you want to stay off that list, then don't go to a dispensary that may get raided and the list of suppliers and patients of that dispensary ends up in the hands of LEO. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oakland County prosecutor Jessica Cooper said she wants to end confusion surrounding the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. Cooper said under the law, marijuana dispensaries of any kind are illegal in Michigan.

However, attorney Neil Rockind, who represents medical marijuana patients, said that’s absolutely not true.

“It’s very simple. Voters wanted patients to have access to marijuana for medical purposes.  That’s the spirit and intent behind the law. And the law doesn’t prohibit dispensaries,” Rockind said.

I was talking socially with some fellow activists this past weekend and they had a very different take on the raids and the DEA involvement.

Their perception is the raids are harassment by hardcore anti-marijuana elements within the various police and prosecutors' offices. The thought is that by and large the raiding parties do not have the legal standing or resources to bring charges, but by including a "federal agent" as part of the raiding party they can seize assets with impunity.

While I have no facts to support this take on everything, I thought I would mention it since it was very different from the discussions here todate.

I was talking socially with some fellow activists this past weekend and they had a very different take on the raids and the DEA involvement.

Their perception is the raids are harassment by hardcore anti-marijuana elements within the various police and prosecutors' offices. The thought is that by and large the raiding parties do not have the legal standing or resources to bring charges, but by including a "federal agent" as part of the raiding party they can seize assets with impunity.

While I have no facts to support this take on everything, I thought I would mention it since it was very different from the discussions here to date.

i looked it up i can see this being the case also

"Impunity arises from a failure by States to meet their obligations to investigate violations; to take appropriate measures in respect of the perpetrators, particularly in the area of justice, by ensuring that those suspected of criminal responsibility are prosecuted, tried and duly punished; to provide victims with effective remedies and to ensure that they receive reparation for the injuries suffered; to ensure the inalienable right to know the truth about violations; and to take other necessary steps to prevent a recurrence of violations."

Oakland County prosecutor Jessica Cooper said she wants to end confusion surrounding the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. Cooper said under the law, marijuana dispensaries of any kind are illegal in Michigan.

However, attorney Neil Rockind, who represents medical marijuana patients, said that’s absolutely not true.

“It’s very simple. Voters wanted patients to have access to marijuana for medical purposes.  That’s the spirit and intent behind the law. And the law doesn’t prohibit dispensaries,” Rockind said.

Hey Bob!

dont forget that pt's and c.g's were not supposed to get arrested following the law! now after 4 or more yrs of fighting the system you still dont beleive it and think despenses are legal?

despenses and mm dr's that ran circus clinics all over MI and by phone and all the other b.s ways they certed us and renewed us, My name isnt in any dispenses paper work or pc but I may of messed up one of the yrs i got renewed by phone!

that is what started this mess we have going now, and the next thing you can expect is less dr's certing and no pt/c.g grows!

or hopefuly all out legal!

Peace

Hey Bob!

dont forget that pt's and c.g's were not supposed to get arrested following the law! now after 4 or more yrs of fighting the system you still dont beleive it and think despenses are legal?

despenses and mm dr's that ran circus clinics all over MI and by phone and all the other b.s ways they certed us and renewed us, My name isnt in any dispenses paper work or pc but I may of messed up one of the yrs i got renewed by phone!

that is what started this mess we have going now, and the next thing you can expect is less dr's certing and no pt/c.g grows!

or hopefuly all out legal!

Peace

No Jim i don't think Dispenses are Legal and  they may or may not have started this hole mess i am undecided on that part the way i was told about dispensaries where if an  out of State patient would come here where our they to get their Meds ? Some say they should get a caregiver OK but if they are only here for a short time then what ?

I am not against them nor for them i do think if people could make sure they would not go against our grow rights then more people would feel the same 

I was even unsure of outside grows back when Mr. King got busted but after reading on here about it i feel that the people that live in like the U.P and know how they live and have very little $$ to buy EQ to grow indoors  why should they not be able to grow outside 

I do talk to a lot of people day by day and they feel it is just to risky to grow inn there homes and the fear of losing it because of a raid it does happen i/we know

No Jim i don't think Dispenses are Legal and  they may or may not have started this hole mess i am undecided on that part the way i was told about dispensaries where if an  out of State patient would come here where our they to get their Meds ? Some say they should get a caregiver OK but if they are only here for a short time then what ?

I am not against them nor for them i do think if people could make sure they would not go against our grow rights then more people would feel the same 

I was even unsure of outside grows back when Mr. King got busted but after reading on here about it i feel that the people that live in like the U.P and know how they live and have very little $$ to buy EQ to grow indoors  why should they not be able to grow outside 

I do talk to a lot of people day by day and they feel it is just to risky to grow inn there homes and the fear of losing it because of a raid it does happen i/we know

I hear that about risky, celli just had his ballast go in the middle of the nite, he said it started on fire, I beleive him when he said it was a bit older, but most times it is the way people are rigging the wiring to get there equip to work, that would suck to burn your house down because of your grow room, heck im not sure if our ins would even pay for that, and you know the fire inspectors are going to find out what caused the fire!

I hear ya about the despenses, I truly dont care if they open or not, It is about loosing grow rights is what im worried about!  and as far as out door grow, I so wish I could set me up an nice green house and grow enough for the yr, up here our soil is awsome, my hill billy grow took off like a weed lol, I could most deff grow enough for my pt and myself in one summer, that would be awsome, id like to make a big one on a cement floor and make sure no bugs can get in. you would still need some good exhuast fans, and Id build like 2 ft walls all around the green house, and than start the poles on top of them, im thinking we could keep mites out of that as easy or hard as it is to keep them out of your inside grow!

I will even go so far as to say if I could get some from a despense w/o apointing them as my c.g or having my name in their books Im sure if sheit hit the fans Id use one now and than!  I wouldnt be happy about the price but I would rather have the supply and demand make the prices on mm in despenses vs uncle sam getting in volved and making it like big pharmacy, than the phaqing we would get wouldnt be worth the phaqing we get lol!

Peace