Congress To Address Legal Limbo Of Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Congress is finally beginning to step into the haze that separates state marijuana laws from federal ones. 
This follows a series of raids of pot dispensaries in Michigan. 
Read more: http://voicerussia.com/2013_08_28/Congress-to-address-legal-limbo-of-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-1111/

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy announced Monday he plans to examine the grey areas in the nation's marijuana laws... and he's called for a hearing giving states a chance to voice their concerns to Congress. 

Naturally, this makes people in the industry happy. 

“I'm really pleased with Senator Leahy for taking this up. And whatever comes of it, I know that the public will be more educated, and it's going to move the dialogue further down the field,” said Becky DeKeuster, the former direct of one of the first dispensaries in California. Now she heads the Wellness Connection of Maine.

Despite following state law, many dispensaries are under constant threat. 

Operations in DeKeuster's state, Maine, largely fly under the D.E.A.'s radar... But in Michigan, feds raided four medical marijuana dispensaries in the past two weeks alone. 

Allen St. Pierre, the Executive Director of pro-legalization advocacy group Norml, says federal crackdowns like these are characteristic of the... “schizophrenic quality of the Obama Administration's marijuana policy.” 

Obama has said he doesn’t see closing marijuana dispensaries as a priority. 

But, according to St. Pierre, the President has allowed the Feds to conduct raids in a number of states, leading to confusion. 

“He's had this completely dual reaction. On one hand allowing the states move forward and at the same time on any given day one of these anti-drug bureaucracies that the federal government has that Mr. Obama is in charge of will raid one or more of these medical dispensaries.” 

Senator Leahy of Vermont says there's a need for clearer federal guidelines, and he's calling on U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to testify. 

St. Pierre of Norml expects the Attorney General of either Colorado or Washington state to also speak. 

Those two states allow recreational marijuana use. Another twenty states allow medicinal marijuana. 

But the Feds aren't treating all states the same. 

Morgan Fox of the Marijuana Policy Project says the Feds are toughest with states that are less involved in the industry. 

“States that have state-regulated and state-licensed marijuana industries have not seen the same sort of attacks.” 

When the Feds do contact weed dispensaries in Maine and the District of Columbia, Fox says it usually comes in the form of warning letters, not police raids. 

DeKeuster of the Wellness Connection of Maine agrees. 

“You know so far in the New England states we've had a great deal of success and no federal interference.” 

Fox offers some pointers to states like Montana, Michigan, and California that have allowed dispensaries to operate organically. 

“It's showing a path...whereby states can set up systems similar to states like Colorado and Maine and like the District of Columbia... and be able to avoid federal interference.” 

Even so, no matter what state they're in, the more than 4,500 marijuana dispensaries across the country are stuck in the legal limbo. Senator Leahy hopes Congress can provide a little clarity.

http://voicerussia.com/2013_08_28/Congress-to-address-legal-limbo-of-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-1111/

Read more: http://voicerussia.com/2013_08_28/Congress-to-address-legal-limbo-of-medical-marijuana-dispensaries-1111/

Instead of all the false hope, I'd prefer it just be left alone.

Attention brings attention.  And the side opposing might step up enforcement.  I think the decriminalization culture is all about not making too many waves, but then again I understand that waves are what got the movement to its present form.

Anyway, the circus continues.

Attention brings attention.  And the side opposing might step up enforcement.  I think the decriminalization culture is all about not making too many waves, but then again I understand that waves are what got the movement to its present form.

I agree, this will just make them hit harder and close down more places just cause in their eyes they close a few places down and take the marijuana and lose and have the crazy judges rule that the marijuana doesn't have to be returned to the owner, so even though they lost, they still win

Edited by o0_bong_toker_0o

I totally disagree with you guys.  I think this is just what is needed;  Get the issue in the mainstream's eyes, saturate the public with the FACTS about this plant, the people using it, the people going to prison/lives being destroyed over it... WE users, whether for recreation or medicine tend to be a peaceful helpful productive group of people, for most of us our biggest problem is being labeled a criminal for using a plant that helps us in one way or another (even if its just to relax after a hard day of work!!).  I Want the congress talking about it, look what happened with gay marriage! We need to make our RIGHT to use this PLANT the next HUGE issue in our country.  We need our Ministers, Rabbi's, Preachers , Deacons etc... on our side.. we need our leo , our sheriffs on our side..  I saw it happen in Oregon in small towns, more and more as these people get to know us, know the truth of the plant , the healing power of the plant, the more they will see the "light" and allow us our right to the pursuit of happiness.

I agree, this will just make them hit harder and close down more places just cause in their eyes they close a few places down and take the marijuana and lose and have the crazy judges rule that the marijuana doesn't have to be returned to the owner, so even though they lost, they still win

It probably goes to some judges labor day weekend fund.  They gotta smoke the good stuff too.

Cynical, yes.  Stone, yes.  That's all for now.  lol

Why can't they just leave us alone?