Ran Into A Problem

williams2311

Stopped at the grow store today picked up a few things got home changed my room from veg to flower. I have a 1000 watt hps with a magnetic ballast. Its in a bedroom and in a 4x4 tent. I have a 8 inch hydrofarm fan and filter a isolating fan a window ac the 1000 watt light and a lamp. Well I got it all set up only to find the huge huge disappointment of my breaker can not handle the 1000 watter. I had my 4 foot 8 bulb t5 fixture set up and the lights wouldnt even flicker. So I guess my question is if I bought some bloom t5s to flower with how much quality am I going to sacrifice? I know hps is better and faster and better light output. That's why I bought the 1000 watt light but as of now I can't use it. So anyone ever use t5s to flower? Any input would be great or a recommendation to stop blowing the fuse. I I thought about getting a smaller digital ballast until I looked at my bank account.

Stopped at the grow store today picked up a few things got home changed my room from veg to flower. I have a 1000 watt hps with a magnetic ballast. Its in a bedroom and in a 4x4 tent. I have a 8 inch hydrofarm fan and filter a isolating fan a window ac the 1000 watt light and a lamp. Well I got it all set up only to find the huge huge disappointment of my breaker can not handle the 1000 watter. I had my 4 foot 8 bulb t5 fixture set up and the lights wouldnt even flicker. So I guess my question is if I bought some bloom t5s to flower with how much quality am I going to sacrifice? I know hps is better and faster and better light output. That's why I bought the 1000 watt light but as of now I can't use it. So anyone ever use t5s to flower? Any input would be great or a recommendation to stop blowing the fuse. I I thought about getting a smaller digital ballast until I looked at my bank account.

Ok so you have fuses not circuit breakers eh? if so, can you see what else is running off of that room? is there any way to maybe find which fuses run which rooms and plugs, try and match all other smaller bedrooms that dont have a,c in windows, and see if you can put them all on another fuse that dont have alot going to it, not your kitchen or bathroom, and try to run your room only with that fuse, or you will have to run thicker wire and put in a bigger fuse!

is your ballast new? have you used it yet? if not possibly you can take it back and get a 600 or you can get what you need on your 1000 and split it into 2 600 watters, man 1000 watt in a 4 x 4 tent woo hoo you need the a.c,,,maybe you can hook the a.c to another room, make a nice lil hole in the wall so it looks good and run a few cords thru their,,,if theres a will thers a way my friend!

Best of Luck to You!

Peace

flouro's take for ever, I know peeps who use them and grow good meds, but it takes for ever and they dont get the cropage that you would with hps, I have a digital 600/400, hps/mh ballast and a 600 watt hps magnetic, i use the digital in veg and the magnetic in budd! Ive never split the 1000 watters to run 2 600 watt bulbs and hoods, you mite want to ask about that, or just go to you tube, you name it they have it and have video's to show you how to do it!

Peace

Ok so you have fuses not circuit breakers eh? if so, can you see what else is running off of that room? is there any way to maybe find which fuses run which rooms and plugs, try and match all other smaller bedrooms that dont have a,c in windows, and see if you can put them all on another fuse that dont have alot going to it, not your kitchen or bathroom, and try to run your room only with that fuse, or you will have to run thicker wire and put in a bigger fuse!

is your ballast new? have you used it yet? if not possibly you can take it back and get a 600 or you can get what you need on your 1000 and split it into 2 600 watters, man 1000 watt in a 4 x 4 tent woo hoo you need the a.c,,,maybe you can hook the a.c to another room, make a nice lil hole in the wall so it looks good and run a few cords thru their,,,if theres a will thers a way my friend!

Best of Luck to You!

Peace

Yea I bought my equipment before I knew it was going in a tent. As for the breaker or fuse I guess im not sure which is which. Mine is the one when the room shuts off I have to go to box and flip it back on. When the power goes out the breaker box is labeled and the one i have to flip back on is for the 2 bedrooms and bath up upstairs which is where the tent is.But the ballast is used but only for a matter of probably 48 hours total. How ever I bought it months ago. Its looking like its going to be a long week of overtime at work for me. I need a new ballast would say the lumatek 1000 watt digital ran on say 600 or 750 watts change anything

do not change the breaker without asking an electrician to verify the size and load already on your wires.

electrical systems are designed to match wire size to load to number of fixtures per run.  if you just make it a larger breaker without checking the load you could very easily overheat the wire and burn down your home. (especially since you are renting and it isn't even your home)

electrical work is not a guessing game and there is no room for mistakes.

even minor mistakes could kill you our your loved ones and it is NOT worth the risk.

find someone with the proper experience to help guide you hands on or find a light with a smaller draw.  I believe my t-5 run around 235watts? maybe.. sounds familiar.  

you do not want to flower with your t-5s if you can avoid it.  it will work however you will most likely not be happy with the results.

do not change the breaker without asking an electrician to verify the size and load already on your wires.

electrical systems are designed to match wire size to load to number of fixtures per run. if you just make it a larger breaker without checking the load you could very easily overheat the wire and burn down your home. (especially since you are renting and it isn't even your home)

electrical work is not a guessing game and there is no room for mistakes.

even minor mistakes could kill you our your loved ones and it is NOT worth the risk.

find someone with the proper experience to help guide you hands on or find a light with a smaller draw. I believe my t-5 run around 235watts? maybe.. sounds familiar.

you do not want to flower with your t-5s if you can avoid it. it will work however you will most likely not be happy with the results.

Yea im not messing around with the electic box id stop growing if that was my only option

good deal...

I am very glad to hear that..

you may want to look into LED. 

or even some of the larger compact fluorescents.  you might find there is a lower power draw that way.. i had the exact same problem before i upgraded.  i found i could not use the microwave or any major appliance like the vacuum when the  flower lights were on.

you might be able to just unplug something else on the circuit your not using and gain just enough wattage.

i ended up using a 12 gauge 15 foot extension cord from a neighboring room for a short while before i could change my wiring around.. it worked like a charm for the short time i needed it.

good luck. i sincerely hope you find a good solution.  growing your own quality cannabis is so worth the trouble IMHO.

I have used T5 for both Veg and flowing and they worked great  for me as long as you don't put to many plants under them two plants under a 4x2 8 Bulb =4oz not hard to do 

IMHO i have done it 

Now if i had the $$ to do it better of course i would have but they do work for a personal grow

How much medicine did you get off each plant?

Yea I bought my equipment before I knew it was going in a tent. As for the breaker or fuse I guess im not sure which is which. Mine is the one when the room shuts off I have to go to box and flip it back on. When the power goes out the breaker box is labeled and the one i have to flip back on is for the 2 bedrooms and bath up upstairs which is where the tent is.But the ballast is used but only for a matter of probably 48 hours total. How ever I bought it months ago. Its looking like its going to be a long week of overtime at work for me. I need a new ballast would say the lumatek 1000 watt digital ran on say 600 or 750 watts change anything

yea you have breakers not fuses, you should be able to run the bedroom your not using for grow room and the bathroom on one, just put tape on the wires so you can change them back if or when you move, its not hard to do,  just go around and turn off a 1 breaker at a time and see what rooms are for what, and get the room for your grow on your own 15 amp breaker, you can run your own wire on the edge of the floor in small pvc pipes and it is also removeable, and if you have to cut any holes in the wall to plug a few things into diff rooms its easy to repair them holes also, I kinda blows growing in a rental, but if its a house and not an apt you should be able to pull it off, I ran both 15 amp and 20 amps to my room, I only use the 15 amp and have no probs.

Im doing my grow in 2 tents a veg tent and a budd tent, I have two ballasts running a couple of t-5's for clones a few little intake/outake fans, and nice exhuast fan, all the lil fans for the breeze, I will be running an a.c when I start mine back up, and I have no problems, and if I do I will remove the 15 amp fuse and put the 20 amp in, I already have the wires ran every where I need them to run,

maybe you can find a friend who knows more about electricity than you (no offense)  I bought all of my stuff from what I knew I needed from an old grow op I had going, sure I wish I would have done a few things different but it is most def workable, the most important thing once you get your power ran right is to have healthy plants, healthy plants dont attract bugs and respond better to prevenative measures!

dont give up, I believe in you!

Peace

Keep in mind that a 1kw ballast draws a little over 9 amps. Electronic ballasts draw a little over 8. Household service circuits are typically 15amp, which if you exceed, will trip the breaker, but can be replaced with a 20 amp breaker pretty simply. Electrical devices are usually labelled with the required amperage they take to operate. You might find it workable to remove some of the devices from that particular circuit to bring the draw on the circuit under the specified amp load. If you ever find yourself in a position to rewire, consider putting a 240v circuit in and run your ballasts on it.

Edited by GregS

Where do you people get that just replacing the breaker will be his fix? The only reason to replace the breaker is if it has gotten weak from too many trips....You CANT just change a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker and call it fixed....The 15 amp breaker is there to protect the 14 gauge WIRE that is used for the circuit....In order to use a 20 amp breaker the wire MUST be 12 gauge......HJ