Homeowners Insurance Pay For Stolen/damaged Plants?

eternity25_75

Well it is not just illegal activities you have to check out.  Insurance contracts are very convoluted and hard to read, until you go to court... lol... They are notorious for giving coverage one place, and then taking it away in another place, or visa versa.

Citizens Insurance, for example, specifically makes your residence "ineligible" to have coverage through them, if you cultivate.  Simply put, they do not wish to insure anyone who cultivates.

Progressive Insurance, which HJ said paid Irish's claim, is totally reasonable to pay a claim.  Peter Lewis who owns Progressive is a marijuana activist.  I believe he gave money for Michigan's ballet initiative to MPP.  So they certainly would have looked at that claim favorably.  I also know Irish, and have heard the story first hand.  But I would say this:  That was three years ago, it would be wise to inquire through an agent, and have that person find out the views of their carriers regarding mmj if you have have a curiosity and a patient agent.

Or you try not to have a claim, and if you do, you sort it out with them.

Yes - because many people seeking information would read your "be careful" post and conclude that they won't/don't have fire insurance protection....and probably many of them would give up hope before they even read their own policy....Your post comes across in a way that would make many people scared to file an insurance claim.....all because they don't understand their insurance policy coverages.

You could have said "check your policy to see if you're protected if your MMJ grow causes a fire.  If it does, then file a claim.  If it doesn't, then don't."  Instead, you said "If they prove your "illegal activity" caused the fire, they could invalidate your entire policy."    The former statement (mine) encourages people to find out what coverage they might have.  The latter statement (yours) would tend to make people fearful of insurance companies and not even try to get the coverage they may have paid for.

Note that the OP doesn't seem to have read her own policy to see what coverage she has, and instead she turned to internet advice.  Your internet advice would tend to lead people to believe that they don't have coverage for a fire caused by their grow...because you didn't expand the discussion to say that some insurance companies WILL cover the fire and some WON'T.

Did you read what I posted?  Unless a person has a specific rider/policy/contract for medical marijuana, legal precedent does not obligate the insurance company to pay.  There are a few companies I know of that offer added coverage for mmj grows, but many of the larger companies do not offer this. (yet)

I apologize if I didn't explain this VERY clearly in my original post.  I do not always have the time to go into every detail or aspect of every situation. 

There was no misinformation in my post, as shown above.   You used my words as an example of misinformation which was inaccurate.   Now you say the real issue is that I didn't provide ENOUGH information.  I suppose I can't please everyone.  In the future, if you label my words as misinformation, please be sure they are "misinformation" beforehand.  I do not endorse false information or leading others "astray".  I detest it.  I do my very best to provide accurate, reliable information.  

If I offended anyone by not providing enough information, causing fear, I genuinely apologize.  That was clearly not my intent. 

As a final note, I also apologize for deleting my posts and responding like I did.  I was offended and realize I should not have been.  I could have handled myself less abrasively and more rationally.  One persons thoughts/opinions should not have sparked such a response. 

Edited by northerngal

• 2 weeks later...

So, the final chapter in my experience has been written.

Auto Owners Insurance was my company.  They denied the claim for plants and equipment because it's "illegal" activity.  We are not care givers, just 2 patients who are legal.  After they denied the claim, the very next day they put me on notice that they were going to cancel my policy.

So I asked my agent to do some shopping around.  She informed me that since she knew a grow was happeninng at our property she would have to give that information to every company she talked to.  It turns out she can't find me a single company willing to cover anyone knowing that they are growing.

So, I had to find a new agent to shop around for us.  Every new company wants to know why the policy is being canceled.

Essentially, I'm being black listed, for being honest.

I have since found new insurance, but my suggestion to anyone considering this in the future is...... don't make the claim.

BTW, I called Progressive home owner's insuance.  For some reason they will only cover my home at market value rather than replacement cost.  That is just not enough coverage for me.  Once I had that information, I did not go any further with it, so I can neither confirm or deny if they would have covered this loss.

Someone earlier suggested I post my policy.  I had read it through, every line before I asked the question here.  I did not find wording stating it would not be covered.

So....... live and learn. 

I'm looking into insurance just for MMJ.  They want the facility to be inspected by an electrician (no big deal and I understand why they want this).  Then they want the facility to have a monitored security system installed.  So the two security systems I have installed will not meet their requirements because I'm not paying ADT or some other company a monthly fee. I have a motion detection system inside with an audible alarm loud enough so the neighbors can hear.  I also have a video system that emails me alets any time motion is detected - the cameras for this system are outside and inside.  Once I get everything else straightened out, I'll push forward on this.

Thanks all....

I added my 4 cent to this thread because I've worked as a contractor for multiple insurance companies in the past, and some insurance adjusters seem to have...and some admit to having...a blanket approach of denying every claim the first time it is submitted.

That is why I was trying to draw a distinction between what the insurance company might try to do vs. what they can do under the policy.

If there is nothing in the policy that eliminates coverage for this incident, then you need to escalate the matter.  Send them a certified letter asking them to quote the portion of your policy that restricts the coverage.  Hold  their feet to the fire.

Edited by Highlander