How Technology Widens Class Divisions

This guy is a genius. I recently watched him speak at a seminar on CSPAN. It was humorous to see a guy with dreads and Birkenstocks talk to a room of suits. 

His recent book "Who Owns the Future?" really speaks to ways in which to create a sustainable economy. The establishment of an information based economy seems like a world changing concept.

This interview starts to get to the point at 3:00

So basically the folks with the most money get the bulk of everything and the little guy gets screwed.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  Who would have ever expected that to happen?

Just don't play the game.

Reality Cracking

No, I think it's more like the 'poor' get 'barcode tattoos' (or perhaps a GPS cellphone) so that the large corporations (and I think we all know who that really is) can keep track of when we are good little consumers and when we're not. 

Have you met your 'consumer's quota' today?

And the problem really starts to show itself when the corporations have all gone to 'robotics' to make the pretty little widgets we all crave and there is now no one able to purchase the widgets, because their ALL unemployed.

Just don't play the game.

As I sit here eating food from a grocery market, powering up my laptop, and browsing the web.. Not playing is unrealistic unless you're willing to turn your back on civilization. The closest thing I've ever seen to that would be the Rainbow Gatherings, and trust me, that's far from a utopia. 

The reality cracking/culture jamming/cultural engineering is on point, imo.

Yes, but the current pimps hold a monopoly on the 'change process'.

I don't think that US citizens are as powerless as we're made to believe/feel. The Tea Party is a good example of that. Their politics aside, they seem, to me, to be a perfect example of what a relatively small, energetic, and determined, group of people are capable of.

I think that in comparison to clashing with large public or private interests groups, that the apathetic and distracted nature of American culture should be the focus of those who wish to work towards change. That seems like a much more rewarding expenditure of effort.  

As I sit here eating food from a grocery market, powering up my laptop, and browsing the web.. Not playing is unrealistic unless you're willing to turn your back on civilization. The closest thing I've ever seen to that would be the Rainbow Gatherings, and trust me, that's far from a utopia. 

The reality cracking/culture jamming/cultural engineering is on point, imo.

I don't think that US citizens are as powerless as we're made to believe/feel. The Tea Party is a good example of that. Their politics aside, they seem, to me, to be a perfect example of what a relatively small, energetic, and determined, group of people are capable of.

I think that in comparison to clashing with large public or private interests groups, that the apathetic and distracted nature of American culture should be the focus of those who wish to work towards change. That seems like a much more rewarding expenditure of effort.  

'Anything' is possible... it's the 'probability' of its occurrence that poses the problem.

Ever onward.

The reality cracking/culture jamming/cultural engineering is on point, imo. . .  Agreed

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion of The Tea Party. They are a symbol of what is wrong in this Country.

Esp today, their crowning achievement to date, bringing the Government to it's knees for a fee. Paid for by their $pecial Interestpuppet masters. This is a direct result of the damage being done by Citizens United. Not to mention the Voter Registration issues that are creeping up Nationwide in predominatley 'Red' States.

Hopefully this will go a ways to minimize some of the apathy that I agree has something to do with it.

They are a symbol of what is wrong in this Country.

Don't get me wrong, I think the politics of the Tea Party are flawed and narrow sighted. At the same time, their impact on local and national politics seems undeniable. 

In very general terms, I view the Tea Party as a grassroots movement that was hijacked by private interest groups (Koch brothers etc). What it is today is not what excites me (though I am a fan of "monkey wrenchers"). What I look at as an example of encouragement is how it seemed to have started. What I observed was what seemed like very small groups of local individuals rising up in protest. The idea of what was being protested, as well as the catalysts to become active, seemed to vary by the individual, particularly by region. What seemed similar was that Americans who had previously been apathetic decided to take a more active role in our democracy. That's a beautiful thing, imo. I think that the majority people that associate themselves with or whom the Tea Party resonates with are typical 9-5, weekend warrior, tv addicted, Americans. They're good people produced by a whack culture, imo. Individuals that have an innate sense that something is "wrong" and have largely grabbed hold of political dogma designed to pander to the lowest common denominator with ulterior motives in mind. How to transition from a grassroots movement to a viable political party short of being hijacked by special interests would be worthy of debate.

If they believe that something is "wrong", and I believe that something is "wrong", what else can we agree on and how do we get to that point? I recently watched an interview with one of the founders of Move-On.org and one of the founders of the Tea Party that got together to put a new project called Living Room Conversations. It aims at helping people to build stronger local neighborhood and community ties with this type of approach.

http://www.livingroomconversations.org/

Edited by in vivo

Move On seem to be on the right track. Agreed about the transition discussion/debate part too.

WE saw what we're up against in the last election, RPaul was lucky to even be in the running, had a loyall following, was the most viable of the Media Favorites. Though the best choices never even made it to the stage. Shocking was how close Romney came to pulling it off, imho.