New From New York

Norby

Hello All,

Just moved to Genessee Co. from New York.

I was diagnosed with a gastric ulcer when I was 12. It turned out to be IBS. I started smoking pot when I was 13 and realized it did wonders for my condition. Unfortunately anxiety can start or worsen an episode and the anxiety of getting and using my medicine made it so I didn't get the full benefit.

I've been lurking here for a while as I started doing research as soon as I found out we were moving here. I have learned a LOT from surfing the site and I'd like to extend my sincere thanks for those making the site possible(posters, moderators and owners).

Thanks, Norby

Edited by Norby

Seeds are tricky.  The only protection for seeds is for "incidental" seeds...so seeds that just happened/were not planned.  There is no protection in the law for intentional seeds.  Weird, yes.....but that's how it is.  So if you grow/sell seeds on purpose, then said seeds are not "incidental" and you're inviting trouble.

Donating isn't really any different than selling.  A transfer is a transfer.  So if you transfer MJ, you really should only transfer to someone you're connected to through the registry.   The idea that a "donation" somehow has more protection than a "sale" is a fool's conclusion.

If you're from NY, then you are already familiar with some of our names/places here...Rochester, Genesee, etc.

Welcome aboard.  After the Erie Canal was built, Michigan was the original "out west."  We're still a bellweather.  We're kinda the California that happened before the real "California." 

lol.  Yep, the house I'm getting ready to rent here(in NYS where I lived) is near Genesee co. NY and only 45 min from Rochester, NY.  The climate is nearly identical and the fishing is about the one place in the country that's better.  I'm really stoked to be movin where I did.  It's like Ny but better in terms of buying local, laws, speed limits, taxes, etc.  Water seems about the same from the underlying dolomite. 

When I describe it to my friends I tell them it's like moving out of your parents house:)

Seeds are tricky.  The only protection for seeds is for "incidental" seeds...so seeds that just happened/were not planned.  There is no protection in the law for intentional seeds.  Weird, yes.....but that's how it is.  So if you grow/sell seeds on purpose, then said seeds are not "incidental" and you're inviting trouble.

Donating isn't really any different than selling.  A transfer is a transfer.  So if you transfer MJ, you really should only transfer to someone you're connected to through the registry.   The idea that a "donation" somehow has more protection than a "sale" is a fool's conclusion.

I see.  So if I happen to make my own seeds for myself and label them in packets for myself, is that ok?   Say I had a male growing for juicing and it happened to pollinate a female.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Norby

lol.  Yep, the house I'm getting ready to rent here(in NYS where I lived) is near Genesee co. NY and only 45 min from Rochester, NY.  The climate is nearly identical and the fishing is about the one place in the country that's better.  I'm really stoked to be movin where I did.  It's like Ny but better in terms of buying local, laws, speed limits, taxes, etc.  Water seems about the same from the underlying dolomite. 

When I describe it to my friends I tell them it's like moving out of your parents house:)

Welcome to the original "out west."

I see.  So if I happen to make my own seeds for myself and label them in packets for myself, is that ok?   Say I had a male growing for juicing and it happened to pollinate a female.

Thanks for the clarification.

There are 256 shades of grey, and the answer to your question lies somewhere therein.  In MI we have protection for possession of "usable MMJ."  "Usable MMJ" is only dried leaves and flowers and specifically excludes seeds.  So our inartfully-drafted law never carved out a legal protection for seeds.  Bummer.  But you do have protection for "incidental seeds."  And who knows what is meant my "incidental seeds?"  I suppose it means seeds that were not intended.    But if your seeds are packed-up and labeled, it would be hard to argue that they were unintended.  Really, the better option is to STFU as it relates to seeds, because any over-zealous PA's office will probably do their best to make you suffer-long.

do the male leaves help? are they better/worse than female leaves?

there were some questions on if the males or female leaves were better.

for seeds i'd say incidental means seeds that you use for growing.

if you have more seeds than one needs for growing, those would be not-incidental for legal growing.

so incidental would be something like 2x what you need, say 12 plants, so 24 seeds (males/females).

incidental also means any seeds from a seeded bud. so it maybe best just to keep seeded bud unseperated if you want to store seeds. who knows really. its untested in court so far.

of course, this is just conjecture and im no lawyer, this is not legal advice.

Edited by t-pain

I have no clue whether male or female would be better for juicing.  I just figure why cut up a female if you could use a male.  Males grow faster and i'm also not sure but the estrogen mimicking .compounds may be less in a male plant.

I was just asking as I haven't decided how to plan my grow.  I figured the same for incidental seeds, that is they were needed, just that they shouldn't be produced by the thousands for sale  for propagation .  I thought you could make medicine of the seed oil, since it mimics our nutritional requirements(has more needed amino acids) than any other plant, so there would be an allowance for it.  Guess I won't be making any seeds till things are laid out better.

I was never good at vocabulary but here's the definition.

:  occurring merely by chance or without intention or calculation

and another

Of a minor, casual, or subordinate nature:

If I were a lawyer with a case I'd use the second and say the major purpose for the female was dried flowers but a bud was pollinated to secure future generations.  While not the main purpose for the plant it was a minor(since I could still propogate by cuttings) way to ensure the future of the garden.  A minor backup that may never be needed. 

Edited by Norby

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got caught when I was 12 smoking pot.  I tried to tell my parents and doc about how it helped my stomach problems. Try getting any cred as a teen trying to justify mj use.  My dad died when I was 17 with the attitude that anyone he knew in Viet Nam who used that crap is dead now and thinking his son was a pot head.  Just a little insight into what I've dealt with during my life over this.

I've been paraded on the side of the road with my pants around my ankles during searches.  Spent days in a drunk tank well over double the limit with toilets overflowing into the whole cell area and slept siting up on the concrete step out of the water.  Denied my rights to a call withing 24 hours of incarceration. Took 8 hours for me to get to a phone AFTER my family found out i was in jail and called demanding to talk to me.  Sent to rehab and they told me that if it wasn't for my DRINKING they'd have released me from the program without any classes or any requirements on mj use(I went to court for 5 roaches and I was a passenger asleep in the back seat), had to pay fines and do community service and pay for all the inconveniences of court and mandates ALL for treating a medical condition.

And that's only the highlights.

The way this law has gone down in the courts made me realize how much this site has helped.  Just knowing there are others in the same boat as me gives me the strength to keep going.  Knowing what's going on out there gives me a way to proceed  It also serves as a great place to vent considering we all need that from time to time, esp. with the way we are treated.

I just wanted to again thank everyone who is responsible for the site and has contributed in any way!!!  I truly appreciate it!