Greens Case Dismissed Under Section 8

Joshua Covert, the attorney representing the Greens, said today that the hair test — which was done by a lab in Kansas — showed .3 picograms of marijuana in the Greens’ 7-month-old daughter, Brielle. Covert disputes the results because the level is so miniscule — one picogram per milliliter is one trillionth of a gram.

.3 of 1 trillionth of a gram?  :wacko:  That's .3 x 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000 of a gram or 0.0000003 of a microgram.  Just to compare,100 micrograms is roughly the size of a grain of sand.

They can find that but they can't determine how much cannabis is in a brownie?  :huh:

I'm very confused.  :unsure:

Edited by Wild Bill

.3 of 1 trillionth of a gram?  :wacko:  That's .3 x 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000 of a gram or 0.0000003 of a microgram.  Just to compare,100 micrograms is roughly the size of a grain of sand.

They can find that but they can't determine how much cannabis is in a brownie?  :huh:

I'm very confused.  :unsure:

Exactly....... I mean I am no scientist or chemist or anything like that........ But how can it be.........

every patient and cg in the county.

growing in Oakland is growing trouble for yourself.

Thank you

IMHO as i know the Law this is a State Law not a County by County Law it doesn't matter where you live in the State 

but i do think it has to be a trick of some kind to take someones Kid away 

THIS IS OUR RED LINE

Unexpected interference of baby wash products with a cannabinoid (THC) immunoassay

Daniel L. Duncana

Elizabeth A. Burchb

Carl J. Seashorec

Catherine A. Hammett-StableraREcor.gifREemail.gifREemail.gif

• a Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of North Carolina — Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA

• b Department of Clinical Care Management, Obstetrics and Newborn Nursery, UNC HealthCare, Chapel Hill, NC, USA

c Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina — Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Choose an option to locate/access this article:

Check if you have access through your login credentials or your institution

Check access

• gw_rtn_ihub.gif

Abstract

Objectives

The results of newborn drug screening have far-reaching impact not only in healthcare, but also in the legal domain. Therefore, the accuracy of these results cannot be undervalued. When false positive cannabinoid (THC) screening results for this population were suspected at our institution, a multidisciplinary approach was initiated to evaluate the screening process for any pre-analytical or analytical sources of error or interference.

Design and methods

Mixtures of drug-free urine with various commercial products and materials that commonly contact newborns in our nursery were prepared and tested using the immunoassay screening methods in our laboratory. Additional commercial products were similarly tested; and when available, individual surfactants common to the interfering products were also evaluated.

Results

Addition of Head-to-Toe Baby Wash to drug-free urine produced a dose dependent measureable response in the THC immunoassay. Addition of other commercially available baby soaps gave similar results, and subsequent testing identified specific chemical surfactants that reacted with the THC immunoassay.

Conclusion

We have identified commonly used soap and wash products used for newborn and infant care as potential causes of false positive THC screening results. Such results in this population can lead to involvement by social services or false child abuse allegations. Given these consequences, it is important for laboratories and providers to be aware of this potential source for false positive screening results and to consider confirmation before initiating interventions. Most importantly, we demonstrate the need for active involvement in the “total testing process,” as sources of error are not confined to the laboratory walls.

Highlights

► Newborn drug screening results have medical and legal impact. ► Commercial baby soaps may cause false positive urine drug screening results. ► Diligent monitoring of the “total testing process” results in better patient care.

Abbreviations

• UDTurine drug of abuse testing

THCtetrahydrocannabinol

Δ9-THCΔ9-tetrahydrocannabinol

GC/MSgas chromatography/mass spectrometry;

EMITenzyme multiplied immunoassay technique

PEG 80,polyethyleneglycol 80

Keywords

• THC

Drugs of abuse

Interference

Newborn

Meconium

Urine drug testing

Figures and tables from this article:

Fig. 1. In April 2011 an increase in the frequency of ordering urine drug screens for newborns is seen in response to adoption of recommendations for the use of biological testing of infants when the mother has had minimal prenatal care. Initially, the perceived concomitant increase in positive screening results is related to the overall increase in orders.

found this

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009912012001518

I understand that Maria was breast feeding Bree.

Could that possibly be a reason for the minuscule amount?

Just a thought.

Greg, I think you are quite possibly correct.

"The science demonstrates that cannabinoid receptor activation (i.e. CB1 and CB2 receptors) is a natural and important component for proper development. Mammals, including humans, produce endocannabinoids, which are THC-like compounds. These THC-like compounds include anandamide and 2-AG. Anandamide and 2-AG activate the same receptors as THC, and are found in bovine and human breast milk."(http://www.freedomisgreen.com/cannabinoids-breast-milk-and-development/)

"Outside the brain, anandamide acts as a chemical messenger between the embryo and uterus during implantation of the embryo in the uterine wall. As such, it's one of the first communications that occurs between mother and child." (http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/features/anandamide.shtml)

If CPS tries to pull this crap again, the foregoing is good to know.

The first person who got you high was your mother, and then she kept you that way with her loving gesture. Thanks Mom.

Edited by GregS

• 2 weeks later...

Auburn Hills natives Steve and Maria Green had their 7-month-old daughter Bree taken away from them last month after a ruling by the Ingham County Family Court.

The reasoning is their medical marijuana case, which has caused extensive controversy within their community.

Steve was issued a Medical Marijuana Registry Identification card two years ago to treat his epilep­sy, and his wife Maria is his state-designated caregiver. After police found cannabis growing in the Green’s trailer, the couple — who has since moved to Lansing — has been going through battles in two courtrooms since January over their right to grow marijuana.

More importantly, they’re also fighting for custody of their little girl.

Last week, felony drug manufacturing charges against the pair in Oakland County were dropped after prosecutors proved that Steve is a qualifying medical marijuana patient. Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper said the office received his medical records on Oct. 3 and the case was immediately dismissed.

“We saw he obviously had grand mal seizures,” said Cooper. “We’re not interested in prosecuting cases of people who have legitimate claims and legitimate cards. That’s what the act was for. ... That’s what the voters want available for people who have legitimate illnesses.”

But Steve and Maria have not yet regained custody of their daughter, who, after being placed in temporary custody of the Department of Human Services, now lives two hours away with Maria’s mother. The couple can visit their daughter as long as Maria’s mother is present.

The couple is now scheduled for a separate court date on Oct. 28 in Ingham County, where a jury will decide if the custody case will be dismissed once and for all.

The attorney referee for Child Protective Services told media the child was removed from the Green’s home because of the pending charges and because their home is unsafe for a child.

Ingham County’s Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Lisa McCormick said, “It’s a neglect petition. ... There is an allegation by the Department of Human Services that there is marijuana being smoked in front of the child.”

Steve denies the allegations and said he hopes now that the charges have been dismissed, there will no longer be reasonable cause to keep Bree away from their home.

Steve was diagnosed with epilep­sy in 2006 and suffered at least one seizure each month. He said each seizure caused some level of brain damage.

Since he was diagnosed, he lost his job at a car dealership, his house, and several of his friends. Steve said he had accepted the fact that, for the rest of his life, he would have seizures.

But then he started taking marijuana after all of his other options had been exhausted. It was the only drug prescribed to him by his primary care physician that stopped the seizures, he said.

“All of the other (medications) either increased my seizures or caused other horrible side effects. ... I didn’t think (marijuana) would work either,” said Steve. “I thought I was living the American dream, and then I became a disabled person. It was like the rug was yanked out from under me. After the medical marijuana started working, it was like I was getting my life back.”

After smoking and eating the marijuana, Steve said his seizures significantly decreased. When his wife made concentrated oil from the marijuana and put it into gel capsules, that’s when Steve said his seizures stopped for the next two years.

But as part of his bond conditions, changed by Judge Leo Bowman of Oakland County Circuit Court on June 4, Steve had to stop taking the marijuana. Since then, Steve said he experienced eight seizures.

“When I have a seizure, it’s completely out of the blue. It could happen anywhere,” he said. “I’ve had seizures at the ATM machine where I woke up to the machine beeping as it ate my card and my head hit the curb on the way down. … I had one coming down the stairs and fell down 12 stairs. … I had one at Kmart on Dixie Highway, and I was going through the store and had a seizure.”

With the recent dismissal of the case, he will be able to start taking the drug again.

Although Steve said it’s remarkable that the case has been dismissed in Oakland County, he said, “we’re not able to be as excited and as happy as we would love to be about it because we still don’t have our baby at home.”

For more information about the Green family, visit freebabybree.com.

Judge Garcia has made some utterly irresponsible remarks. This family is not out of the woods yet.

Edited by GregS

ah, I just posted some fundraising info in your other thread Greg, but I will put it here and maybe that thread can be deleted?

Fundraiser Sunday Oct. 20

https://www.facebook.com/events/654270701273947/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

On going on line fundraising effort:

http://www.gofundme.com/freebree

Works for me. This has made the huffpost too, and they need help for expert witnesses.

Howaboutit Bob?

Happy to, for free.  Offered quite some time ago as well.  Just asked that their lawyer contact me.

Dr. Bob

Here is the link in fact.  Imi you really should pay attention rather than just take shots at people.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/44466-judge-conducts-his-own-medical-trial-on-epilepsy-and-marijuana/

Edited by Dr. Bob

Happy to, for free.  Offered quite some time ago as well.  Just asked that their lawyer contact me.

Dr. Bob

Here is the link in fact.  Imi you really should pay attention rather than just take shots at people.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/44466-judge-conducts-his-own-medical-trial-on-epilepsy-and-marijuana/

Strange. Maria assures me today that she has not heard from you.

Edited by GregS

it gets old with people turning every thread into 'dr bob didnt do xxxxx'.

can you guys either get your own dr bob thread or just give it up or take it to private message or something?

Really t?

Do you really want me to open that can of worms and feed into bobs ego by starting a bash bob thread ?

What a farce. Sometimes I wonder how many of you have forgotten bobs antics??? Some of us haven't!

He feeds off this community and no one sees that ? really ?

ON TOPIC:

Fundraiser for The Greens TODAY 10/20 1-6 pm

1200 Marquette St.

Lansing, MI

Will be a good time and good way to show support.

Hope to see lots of folks there :)

The latest from Maria Green:

I’m jumping for joy! This is the best news we’ve received in quite some time! Bree should be home either tomorrow or Monday!! The trial will not be happening on Monday!

So here are the details: Significant progress has been made in the case that will allow Bree to come home where she belongs and which will not give the court jurisdiction over her! Therefore, there is no plea, there is no sacrifice of the integrity of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. It is as though we are going back in time to go through steps that CPS should have offered before ever petitioning the court to remove her!

As long as we continue to show that we are being reasonable and they can be reasonable, all should be dropped at a review hearing in 30 days! And if not, we continue the fight exactly where we left off!

We get to have our baby home! And this should mean I get to see my son very shortly also! This is a great thing for us as a family and hopeful they’ve seen where they’ve gone wrong in dealing with Medical Marijuana Patients in Michigan!

Congratulations to you and your family, and thanks for standing tall.

Really t?

Do you really want me to open that can of worms and feed into bobs ego by starting a bash bob thread ?

What a farce. Sometimes I wonder how many of you have forgotten bobs antics??? Some of us haven't!

He feeds off this community and no one sees that ? really ?

Ah, is the implication I really care?  Go have your thread.  Sorry, don't recall antics, but so glad to know you think of them.  I can't think of a single thing I remember you for...lol

You may not like Captain Jack Sparrow, but you HAVE heard of him....