What Is It With Mites, Anyway?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chauncy, I had the same problem. I got rid of the fungus gnats by adding azamax when I watered my plants. I'm not sure but I think it was one oz per gallon. I only had to do it once in each plant. No more gnats. 

Did you get any burning of the leaves weeks after you used it?

Can any one say mighty wash.. done all kinds of research and singing some on here that are using poisons on there girls.. mighty wash I'm seeing can be used through veg or flowering.. its eliminated those critters from my room with a room wash down and mighty wash I'm loving life

I used it a few weeks ago still haven't got them again so I can say it worked for me

Mighty Wash is a marketing name.

Beyond the name, isn't the appropriate question is what is actually in Mighty Wash (or End All, Avid, Floramite, etc) and how does it work?

And of course, what are the risks in use.

This link has some discussion of Mighty Wash: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=215108

Lots of interesting YouTube videos of different miticide products.

The Jorge Cervantes book also has a discussion or relevant products for mite control.

Edited by outsideinthecold

i was reading a thread about companion planting herbs and mints, garlic, ginger, etc to scare mites off.

would be interesting to see if any of those kept mites away.

i think mites attacked my marigolds. lots of conflicting garden advice for mites.

with all of the hours people spend on cultivation, you'd think we would spend some time on mites, how to farm, control and kill them.

Edited by t-pain

I last saw a mite 2 years ago. I sprayed with Azamax 3 times in 3 weeks and never saw them again. I haven't introduced any new plants into the area since then.

And then I got fungus gnats from some cheap, on-sale peat. I have only been able to keep them in check. I have tried everything but have been unable to eradicate them. They are tough little buggers.

I have been invaded by these little boogers too! I did not realize at 1st. just how bad they were until I put a sticky trap on the edge of a pot.

Oh man!!! Well, I have been having an absolutely terrible time with my seedlings not making it.  I thought I was over watering and drowning the poor little things. In further research I found that what is happening is called damping down and it is due to fungus gnat larvae getting into the roots of those poor tender little shoots :( 

I found a few 'recipes' for home made sticky traps and will try the azamax also to kill the larvae. 

Live and learn I suppose :)

Best of luck Chauncy :)

I had a mite infestation a few years ago due to some fox farm soil being contaminated and they near destroyed my tropical house plants.

I used the tried and true old school method of Ivory soap/ water spray and several showers in the bath tub to beat those tuff so & so's.

I know this is probably not the preferable method for cannabis... but it did work on my palm trees quickly and effectively. I haven't had

a problem since, luckily. I actually wonder how much worse a little bit of soap residue (if any at all is left) would be compared to some of these chemicals/ pesticides though.

Maybe you seasoned vets will have an answer to that one :)

I actually wonder how much worse a little bit of soap residue (if any at all is left) would be compared to some of these chemicals/ pesticides though.

Maybe you seasoned vets will have an answer to that one :)

pure hemp dr bronners soap wont cause too many problems.

soap makes soil take up water better.

wouldnt use anti-bacterial soap.

a few drops of neem oil wont hurt.

theres a thread on gnats.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/25464-got-gnats/page-3

Thanks t.

I have done a bunch of research since this little problem started and the gnat thread confirmed everything that I found as I was

researching.  The hardest lesson was my seedlings.  I have never been good at popping beans and I was so elated when I actually got some

little sprouts @ 100% germ rate!  Whoo Whoo happy dance.  Well, not so happy... that is when I found out about damping off and how

these little pests life cycle works as I also had a 100% failure of my little seedlings the next morning :(

Live and learn :)

pure hemp dr bronners soap wont cause too many problems.

soap makes soil take up water better.

wouldnt use anti-bacterial soap.

a few drops of neem oil wont hurt.

theres a thread on gnats.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/25464-got-gnats/page-3

the makers of greencure (a fungicide that contains a spreader sticker) have a page on using soap, or oil, as a sticker spreader--and they tried 350 formulas of spreaders to find the best

Edited by pic book

so, spraying with pesticides is the best the marijuana community can offer it's patients?  really ?

dig this-

It is currently illegal to spray any pesticide, insecticide, fungicide, miticides on marijuana plants meant for human consumption. there you have it.

I never had mites, but I have solved the issue for a dozen friends. Legally, organically, safely. C02 my friends, and then stop letting people visit your rooms. stop taking in clones, stop putting your plants outside to save electricity, stop smoking and storing and drying product inside your grow rooms. stop visitingother grow rooms. change your clothes before and after entering your room, launder them. don't go inside after cutting grass. do not buy potted plants or flowers for your house or grow rooms. dont enter a florist, or the flower/garden section.

Those sprays mentioned earlier will disrupt the life cycles of the gentlemen, but will not eliminate them. that's why it works for a bit, for some people, and not others. With the right harvest cycle one could theoretically be harvesting mites before they become damaging, or even noticeable, over and over, only to pop up again later.

I can treat a plant, or a whole room with either a bottle of c02, or my c02 generator. Displacing the oxygen inside you room with around 10,ooo ppm's c02 will eliminate all breathing pests in the room, or on the plants. its not a trick, its not a poison gas, it freakin works. everytime, always.

so, spraying with pesticides is the best the marijuana community can offer it's patients?  really ?

dig this-

It is currently illegal to spray any pesticide, insecticide, fungicide, miticides on marijuana plants meant for human consumption. there you have it.

I never had mites, but I have solved the issue for a dozen friends. Legally, organically, safely. C02 my friends, and then stop letting people visit your rooms. stop taking in clones, stop putting your plants outside to save electricity, stop smoking and storing and drying product inside your grow rooms. stop visitingother grow rooms. change your clothes before and after entering your room, launder them. don't go inside after cutting grass. do not buy potted plants or flowers for your house or grow rooms. dont enter a florist, or the flower/garden section.

Those sprays mentioned earlier will disrupt the life cycles of the gentlemen, but will not eliminate them. that's why it works for a bit, for some people, and not others. With the right harvest cycle one could theoretically be harvesting mites before they become damaging, or even noticeable, over and over, only to pop up again later.

I can treat a plant, or a whole room with either a bottle of c02, or my c02 generator. Displacing the oxygen inside you room with around 10,ooo ppm's c02 will eliminate all breathing pests in the room, or on the plants. its not a trick, its not a poison gas, it freakin works. everytime, always.

Care to show me anything that says its illegal to spray organic citrus based pesticides on cannabis?

Sure thing man. I may be incomplete though, I'm no legal beagle myself. Got no time to search through the law books, but we all know that "using a pesticide in a manner other than listed is illegal." Since marijuana has NO pesticide testing With EPA results and registration for pesticides listed, I know that using ANY spray or pesticide on a plant intended for human consumption to be illegal, because its not listed on any label.

Organic oils are fine for vegetables, if used as directed, and in approved ways, as labeled(WASH before eating, etc) We have no established record of what havoc smoking concentrated citrus oil, or ANY oils,  may have on our long term health.  We should not leave it up to profiteering to decide how much, when or if a type of spray can be applied to plant used as medicine. Pest presence is a symptom, before its a problem. Rooms with bugs continue to be rooms with bugs, until the root of the issue(s) is corrected.

Since there are other environmental safeguards for us to use as pest prevention/management, I see no reason at all to risk the health of a patient smoking our meds, or the health of the applicator of unauthorized and illegal pesticides / insecticides. Proper hygiene, grow habits, RH, water quality temps, lighting, air circulation, air quality, sticky cards, all will go along way to managing the worst of these critters. Killing them is not the goal, prevention is key.

I can show some examples of what I'm talking about, hopefully that helps. It was news to me also, while continuing my anal organic quest. Don't ask me about the buckets from the depot, or your water hoses, water lines, brass nozzles, rubbermaid containers, or the integrity of store bought nutrients, often found to be in violation of the law. It would seem that everything food or drug,  is designed to give you cancer, like a conspiracy??

Pesticide Use Illegal on Pot

By Ellen Komp

In news that was covered by AP, CNN, and nearly every newspaper across the county, Mendocino County Agricultural Department applied earlier this year to the California Agriculture Deptartment asking if they could certify the county's medical marijuana growers as organic.

Tony Lineger, Assistant Agricultural Commissioner for Mendocino County, said the Department took action after several letters to the editor appeared in local press from patients who said they had become ill after smoking marijuana in Mendocino. One person reported to Linegar that they couldn't walk for three days after smoking marijuana on which the mitacide Avid had been used. In addition, two people approached the Department about certifying their marijuana crops as organic. One was a caregiver for a seriously ill patient who was considering growing herself because she was concerned that the marijuana she was buying at clubs might be contaminated with pesticides.

Linegar's office sent a two-page, detailed letter to the state and, on March 3, got a terse three-sentence negative response. "It was disappointing because to us there were some very serious issues, plus we had received requests to register, and we had expected a more detailed response that would have more specifically addressed our concerns," said Linegar. The state Department of Pesticide Regulation, who was copied on the letter, replied saying that the Mendocino office could offer advice to individual growers (but not collectives) on pest problems.

But all the office can do is tell growers not to use pesticides. Linegar stresses that all pesticide use is illegal on marijuana. According to Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations, the EPA must establish residue tolerances for pesticides on all crops, and since none have been established for marijuana, pesticides cannot be legally applied.

That includes herbicides, fungicides, and rodenticides too. Neem oil, a naturally occurring oil from the neem tree, is legal if sold as the soil conditioner Neem meal, but if sprayed on leaves to control mites it is also not regulated by the EPA for marijuana and therefore is illegal to use. Linegar said the idea of an oil is to smother the pest, and that other lightweight horticultural oils have been developed for the same purpose (heavy oils will smother the plant itself). Neem oil manufacturers claim some insecticidal properties in addition to smothering pests.

For oils or any other crop protection material: if there is an EPA tolerance listed for any plant on the label it cannot be legally used on marijuana. "We've made it very clear that it's illegal to use pesticides on marijuana and that our office has the responsibility to investigate, and doctors have responsi-bility to report to the public health officer, any illness that may be related to pesticides," Linegar said. Penalties for the misuse of a pesticide can vary, depending on the nature of the violation. The Agriculture Department has the authority to levy fines of up to $5000 per violation. The fine level is determined by the seriousness of the violation combined with the violator's knowledge of the regulations. Physicians' reports to the public health officer are routed back to Agriculture for investigation.

Jane Weirick, a longtime medical marijuana activist who herself became ill from handling marijuana, is spearheading a drive by the Medical Cannabis Association to establish safety and testing standards for medical marijuana. The Mendocino Board of Supervisors is looking at a Medical Cannabis Safety Program proposal from Eureka-based Ahimsa International.

or:

along a fence line to repel cats an illegal use of mothballs? LC09-0269 and LC09-0270; 6.26.09

Generally, it is unlawful to use any registered pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling under FIFRA sec. 12(a)(2)(G). At present, there are no registered pesticides containing the active ingredients in moth balls that are approved for use in repelling cats. The FIFRA section 2(ee) definition of "to use any registered pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling" provides for certain exceptions under which use is lawful. For example, it is not unlawful to use a registered pesticide "against any target pest not specified on the labeling if the application is to the crop, animal, or site specified on the labeling..." This exception would not allow application of mothballs along a fence line because registered mothballs products specify the use site as "air-tight containers and storage closets." Because applying mothballs to a fence line would not be applying them to a site specified on the labeling, such use is unlawful.

• Our specific question is in regards to the use of mothballs as a general animal repellent.  We frequently encounter people who use mothballs (in an attic, in a crawl space, in the garden, etc.) to repel such animals as skunks, raccoons, opossums, etc.  We inform them that this manner of control does not consistently work, and therefore, we cannot recommend it.  We also would like to be able to tell them if using this chemical in this manner is illegal - in reference to the terminology found on any chemical/pesticide product that "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."  We are having trouble sorting through the information you provide on Use in a Manner Inconsistent with Its Labeling (FIFRA Sec 2ee).  This question can also apply to such things as ammonia, bleach, kerosene, gasoline, etc. that people pour in or around such described areas (aside from the obvious that using flammable chemicals in such fashion is dangerous) - the ultimate question is "Is it illegal?"  Please advise, as we are anxious to provide our cooperators with the most accurate information.  (LC08-0190)

Using a registered pesticide like mothballs against a pest not listed on the label is legal unless (1) the pesticide is used on a site not specified on the labeling or (2) the label specifically restricts the pests against which the pesticide may be used (e.g. “for use only against ants”).  This is an exception to the definition of “use of a pesticide in a manner inconsistent with its labeling” in FIFRA section 2(ee)(2) which reads in part:  “…except that the term shall not include…(2) applying a pesticide against any target pest not specified on the labeling if the application is to the crop, animal, or site specified on the labeling, unless the Administrator has required that the labeling specifically state that the pesticide may be used only for the pests specified on the labeling after the Administrator has determined that the use of the pesticide against other pests would cause an unreasonable adverse effect on the environment,...”  The other substances you list may be both registered for pesticidal use or available unregistered for non-pesticidal uses.  While the Agency does regulate the sale and distribution of unregistered pesticides, it does not regulate the personal use of unregistered pesticides.  The personal use of products that are not registered pesticides – such as ammonia, bleach, kerosene, gasoline – may be dangerous, but it is not a violation of FIFRA.

or"

Pesticides Intended for Use on Food or Feed

EPA establishes maximum residue levels (tolerances) for pesticides in food, including animal feed, under section 408 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) epafiles_misc_exitepadisc.gif. In the absence of a tolerance covering pesticide residues in a food, that food is considered adulterated and subject to seizure. For this reason, EPA regulations require that all needed tolerances be in place before a FIFRA registration will be granted.

or;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/21/chapter-9

Care to show me anything that says its illegal to spray organic citrus based pesticides on cannabis?

Pesticide Use Illegal on Pot

By Ellen Komp

In news that was covered by AP, CNN, and nearly every newspaper across the county, Mendocino County Agricultural Department applied earlier this year to the California Agriculture Deptartment asking if they could certify the county's medical marijuana growers as organic.

Why do people continually come on here to tell us what they do in California?

reading my post you'll see I was quoting examples of subject matter, not laws. the EPA is not bound by California jurisdiction, and their rules apply to our whole nation. I am sorry you missed the very important point that ANY chemical , not specifically approved by the EPA for spray on marijuana is illegal, in the whole nation.

Why do people continually come on here to tell us what they do in California?