Ozone Generator For Dwc

Highlander

There is a lot of on-line discussion about the benefit of using ozone to kill smells, bugs, mildew, etc. in your grow room, but I don't see much about using ozone to oxygenate a DWC grow.  I have been looking at commercial ozone generators that are used to ozonate water for laundry, eliminating the need for bleach and detergent.  It seems that a grower could do the same with his DWC nute solution. 

I realize that the "extra" oxygen molecule is an oxidizer and will kill bacteria, fungus, etc. (both beneficial and not).  But it seems that if a grower kept a sterile DWC environment, then he'd see benefits from the added oxygen content.

Anyone else looking into this?  Anyone have thoughts, ideas, speculation?

Commercial growers use ozonated water to fight pests and disease. I know it's being used for fruit trees, sprayed directly on the trees. The grower i was listening to was happy with the results but it's more labor intensive than pesticides.

As for using it in DWC it will react with plastic and metal. Not sure how damaging the resulting compounds will be for you plants. If I'm remembering correctly the water can't be stored in plastic due to the reaction.

Commercial growers use ozonated water to fight pests and disease. I know it's being used for fruit trees, sprayed directly on the trees. The grower i was listening to was happy with the results but it's more labor intensive than pesticides.

As for using it in DWC it will react with plastic and metal. Not sure how damaging the resulting compounds will be for you plants. If I'm remembering correctly the water can't be stored in plastic due to the reaction.

sprayed directly on trees.....?

Ozone generators have been used in hot tubs for a while.  They do a great job of sterilizing the water, allowing you to use smaller amounts of chemical sanitizers like chlorine or bromine.  I've read that ozone breaks down in less than 15 minutes in water, making it safe for humans to in close proximity.

You might be onto something here.

in hydro, such ozanation (purification) of water would seem to have great use...the idea is unknown to me and i'm doing hydro... so, highlander, how does ozanation makes detergent un-necessary?

Ozone is three oxygen molecule bonded together.  The third molecule isn't bonded very securely.  The O3 molecule wants to be 02 (gaseous oxygen).  That extra O, liberates itself from the O3 and is an oxidizer....destroying grease, bugs, etc.  Kinda the "honey badger" of the chemical world.

• 1 month later...

There is a lot of on-line discussion about the benefit of using ozone to kill smells, bugs, mildew, etc. in your grow room, but I don't see much about using ozone to oxygenate a DWC grow.  I have been looking at commercial ozone generators that are used to ozonate water for laundry, eliminating the need for bleach and detergent.  It seems that a grower could do the same with his DWC nute solution. 

I realize that the "extra" oxygen molecule is an oxidizer and will kill bacteria, fungus, etc. (both beneficial and not).  But it seems that if a grower kept a sterile DWC environment, then he'd see benefits from the added oxygen content.

Anyone else looking into this?  Anyone have thoughts, ideas, speculation?

Full disclosure, I manufacture a line of hydroponic odor and pest control devices. Have been for over 13 years. In our testing of the potential benefits of ozone for you use in DWC, it was concluded that ozone in a hydroponic solution will destroy the nutrients and chelation necessary for proper plant growth. To summarize, don't do it. Save the ozone for eliminating exhausted garden air.

Scott "The Ozone Guy".

Full disclosure, I manufacture a line of hydroponic odor and pest control devices. Have been for over 13 years. In our testing of the potential benefits of ozone for you use in DWC, it was concluded that ozone in a hydroponic solution will destroy the nutrients and chelation necessary for proper plant growth. To summarize, don't do it. Save the ozone for eliminating exhausted garden air.

Scott "The Ozone Guy".

Thanks so much for your informed input.  It will save some of us a lot of trouble and expense.