House Republican Frets Food Stamps Are Being Used To Buy Medical Marijuana

bobandtorey

Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) on Friday defended a $40 billion cut to the food stamp program, known officially as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, by claiming that beneficiaries were using the federal program to buy pot.

“The Nutrition Reform & Work Opportunity Act is designed to preserve the integrity of the SNAP program for families, and especially children, who rely on food stamps,” she said on the House floor, according to the Congressional record.

“Reforms in this legislation put stronger protections in place to ensure that SNAP money is reserved only for those who qualify for food stamps and isn’t wasted on government public relations campaigns, medical marijuana purchases, or lottery winners. Questionable loopholes and recruitment activities which extend assistance to those who make too much money are also ended.”

The measure, which has been approved in the House of Representatives, would throw 3.8 million low-income people off the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in 2014. An average of nearly 3 million people would be cut from the program each year over the next decade.

Food stamp recipients are not permitted to deduct their medical marijuana costs from their income. “[A] household may not utilize the SNAP medical deduction for the cost of any substance considered illegal under Federal law,” the USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service said in a memo published last year.

oh I know of many liquir stores that sell people liquir for their bridge card, man Id love to sit out side and nail them muslims/arabs that own all of the party stores and gas stations, I thought that was only down in detroit, but they do that right here in small town america, I dont think you should be able to get coffee or soda pop for your food allowance, it is for food, we need food, we dont need pop and coffee or booze, we want that stuff, so go get off of your lazy butts and make enough money for your wants and both the food stamp recipeient and store owner who lets them use their bridge card for booze should be put in jail, its not a plant, it is stealing from the people!

Peace

Yea. sure.

Sounds like mostly BS to me phaq.

Just call the phone number and report it.

The fraud is less than  one percent.

There is way more fraud and law breaking in the medical marijuana program by no comparison. ;-)

Heres one, maybe we should start drug testing Caregivers.

So much for small government Republicans. Always want to get all up in everyone shite.

The Food stamp program equals around 1.2% of the federal budget.  This means, the average family making $40,000/ year pays around $27/year into the food stamp program and WIC.

So, if ya make $20/hr, ya work like One hour and 20 minutes a year to help feed the poor, disabled, elderly and children of the country.

If ya make $10/hr with kids, it costs you about $4/year.

Watch out. 

So, would people here be willing to give ol Bob and Tori there $20/yr to eat?

Heh.

And we know they eat like kings on their $130 odd bucks a month.  What leeches on society!

I wonder how people can be so,.... non Christian sometimes.

Heaven forbid ya dump a few pennies a week out to feed the poor, disabled, elderly and children.

So they think the money is not being spent for the purpose for which it is intended. So the fuk what? The State receives, in round numbers, three million bucks a year in the tobacco settlement, and not a nickel goes toward medical treatment for people harmed by the stuff and nothing for tobacco education. All of that money is put into the State general/slush fund for whatever. Tell me please how that is any better than people who find ways to use food stamp benefits for other purposes.

So they think the money is not being spent for the purpose for which it is intended. So the fuk what? The State receives, in round numbers, three million bucks a year in the tobacco settlement, and not a nickel goes toward medical treatment for people harmed by the stuff and nothing for tobacco education. All of that money is put into the State general/slush fund for whatever. Tell me please how that is any better than people who find ways to use food stamp benefits for other purposes.

State general slush just like the money for your Medical Marihuana  cards 

Heh.

And we know they eat like kings on their $130 odd bucks a month.  What leeches on society!

Heaven forbid ya dump a few pennies a week out to feed the poor, disabled, elderly and children.

republican_Jesus.jpg

Large farm owning agra-business' that make $$$ billions of dollars a year get millions of $$ in farm subsidies (aka money from the gov).

No one in the federal or state governments complain about THOSE handouts because the large agra-corps throw a lot of that money back to the politicians to get themselves re-elected.

And NO ONE said much of anything when a 'Republican' president, a conservative, handed out BILLIONS of $$$ to the guys and dolls on Wall Street in the form of government handouts... ever heard of a small thing called TARP?

You owe more on your house than it's worth? Thank the guys that the government bailed out.

And the beat goes on.  

Heh.

Thanks we have not received any yet 

The food stamps help a lot and you can make them last the whole month but you need to be smart about what you buy i just received my stamps a few month ago and i'am glad i have them

Any abuse of the system would be retailers making a deal with a buyer.  They also use tricks, like "pay my inflated price for baby formula and get diapers for free."

The problem isn't so much with the people who get the bridge card....it is with the retailers who provide the incentive for abuse.  Remove the incentive, and you eliminate the abuse.

We need a whistle-blower law that benefits the whistle-blower.  So Phaque can sit outside the party store and earn "referral fees."

Edited by Highlander

Any abuse of the system would be retailers making a deal with a buyer.  They also use tricks, like "pay my inflated price for baby formula and get diapers for free."

The problem isn't so much with the people who get the bridge card....it is with the retailers who provide the incentive for abuse.  Remove the incentive, and you eliminate the abuse.

We need a whistle-blower law that benefits the whistle-blower.  So Phaque can sit outside the party store and earn "referral fees."

:thumbsu:  :thumbsu:  :thumbsu:

oh I know of many liquir stores that sell people liquir for their bridge card, man Id love to sit out side and nail them muslims/arabs that own all of the party stores and gas stations, I thought that was only down in detroit, but they do that right here in small town america, I dont think you should be able to get coffee or soda pop for your food allowance, it is for food, we need food, we dont need pop and coffee or booze, we want that stuff, so go get off of your lazy butts and make enough money for your wants and both the food stamp recipeient and store owner who lets them use their bridge card for booze should be put in jail, its not a plant, it is stealing from the people!

Peace

Yea. sure.

Sounds like mostly BS to me phaq.

Just call the phone number and report it.

The fraud is less than  one percent.

There is way more fraud and law breaking in the medical marijuana program by no comparison. ;-)

Heres one, maybe we should start drug testing Caregivers.

So much for small government Republicans. Always want to get all up in everyone shite.

The Food stamp program equals around 1.2% of the federal budget.  This means, the average family making $40,000/ year pays around $27/year into the food stamp program and WIC.

So, if ya make $20/hr, ya work like One hour and 20 minutes a year to help feed the poor, disabled, elderly and children of the country.

If ya make $10/hr with kids, it costs you about $4/year.

Watch out. 

Jim's post is absolutely NOT BS Mal.  I have witnessed this with my own eyes and on more than one occasion.

I am a fair distance from where Jim is... so, it is happening elsewhere too... if we are being realistic.

Okay.. the abuse may only be a mere <1% but, it still happens.

One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch, and does have a ripple effect bc that is what lawmakers latch on to.

jm02

People still sell their food stamps also... yep, that is the absolute truth.

50 cents on the dollar is the going rate for that exchange.

TRUTH

edit: spelling (sure wouldn't want the spelling/ grammar police after me for goodness sakes!)

Edited by imiubu

Thanks we have not received any yet 

The food stamps help a lot and you can make them last the whole month but you need to be smart about what you buy i just received my stamps a few month ago and i'am glad i have them

Good for you Bob.  I hope that receiving food benefits helps to lighten your burdens at least a little brother.

Jim's post is absolutely NOT BS Mal.  I have witnessed this with my own eyes and on more than one occasion.

I am a fair distance from where Jim is... so, it is happening elsewhere too... if we are being realistic.

Okay.. the abuse may only be a mere <1% but, it still happens.

One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch, and does have a ripple effect bc that is what lawmakers latch on to.

jm02

Bridge Card Fraud Reporting - DHS  1-800-222-8558  

If the fraud is a problem and you are witnessing it without doing anything, does that make you part of the problem?

Do you have a responsibility to report crime when you see it happen?

I don't know the answers, but they are questions we need to ask ourselves.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of Kitty Genovese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

I stopped at a liquor store yesterday.  There were two kids, about 10-12 years old, with a bridge card.  It seems they had a budget because they were figuring out what/how many Doritos, Mt. Dews, and Slim Jims they could get.  They kept running back and forth - putting stuff back on shelves and grabbing other stuff and discussing the math.  One had a Bridge Card in his hand.  I felt bad for those kids and their parents.  So I gave the cashier $10 and asked him to tell the kids that they should give the Bridge Card back to the parents because that money is supposed to be used to feed a family....but that I understood what it was like to be 12 years old and to want to go to the store and just get some snacks, so I wanted to pick up the tab for their junk food.  Who knows what happened after that?  But what people need to understand is that kids are really the ones to be affected by poverty...and I guess I just wanted to brighten their day.  It is pretty easy to criticize how a family uses a Bridge Card, but this isn't a whole lot of money we're talking about in the big picture, and it would be nice if kids can have fun and dignity at the same time at least once in a while.  And so if a Bridge Card gets used to buy junk food once in awhile, I don't think we luckier folks should frown on that.

Edited by Highlander

Bridge Card Fraud Reporting - DHS  1-800-222-8558  

If the fraud is a problem and you are witnessing it without doing anything, does that make you part of the problem?

Do you have a responsibility to report crime when you see it happen?

I don't know the answers, but they are questions we need to ask ourselves.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of Kitty Genovese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

That depends... if they have a pistol in their pocket and they know where I live... Don't know, might just let it slide... unless of course I'm in one of my heroic moods that day.

But I've been know to ignore a lot more for a Twinky or two.

Throw in a diet Coke though, and you got me, baby.

That depends... if they have a pistol in their pocket and they know where I live... Don't know, might just let it slide... unless of course I'm in one of my heroic moods that day.

But I've been know to ignore a lot less for a Twinky or two.

Throw in a diet Coke though, and you got me, baby.

lol,  I was thinking along the same lines gb (forgoing the Twinkie and diet Coke though ;) ) except my 1st thought was getting knifed.