Poppin' Off @ Poppy Plants

anyone know why we're allowed to grow poppy plants freely here, yet it takes an army to guard them elsewhere ? why cant the army just grow their own poppies right here, the ultimate destination of their guarded crop anyways. farmers could go back to work, and the economy would be returned instead of translated to terrorism. Why cant we grow cannabis freely, and just promise not to smoke it ?  Isn't poppy sap used to make morphine base, which when further cooked becomes heroin, or the other way around , or something?  Are coca plants legal to grow here ?  DMT is easily derived from common grasses, is that regulated I wonder ?  Can you be arrested for an amanita mascara on the property ? psilocybin growing wild ?   

the more I know, the dumber I feel. it seems our head has been snugly fit into our behinds for sometime, I wonder if cannabis is key to the great mind awakening, causing fear in the sandmen ?post-35225-0-25943500-1383167963_thumb.jpg

Skimming the internet and found this as an answer to whether it was legal to grow poppies in the US.

There are many different genera of poppy flowers. The Papaver genus, to which the Opium poppy (Papaver somniferum, from which opiates are derived) belongs, contains 120-some species. So there are plenty of varieties to choose from. Opium poppy in particular is considered a Schedule II controlled substance. That being said, apparently the prohibition is often not enforced where poppies are grown for food or ornamental purposes, and the dried pods are sometimes sold as part of flower arrangements. So to answer your question: yes, no, and maybe.

I do know that there was a gift shop in my home town that was surrounded by poppies a few years ago.  I sliced some of the bulbs while walking my dog late at night and no opium resin, or whatever you call it, oozed out of the bulb like it's supposed to with opium poppies.  I tried several nights in a row with no success.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Papaver%20somniferum

not illegal to sell on amazon, I see every opium poppy listed right there.

another look online shows bags of dried papa somni pods, ready for decorating the butane blaster.....of course they're available, with special amazon/DEA licensing, hehe

Sorry But i will have to disagree and i really can't prove your wrong because i won't order any on line but they can't be the same other wise people would have done this already

The seeds that you buy in the spice aisle will grow poppies that produce opium. Many of the 'ornamental' poppy seeds that you buy at garden centers will produce opium.

Unless you are caught actually harvesting the sap you will not really be in any trouble. The government doesn't send in swat teams looking for poppy grows because they are grown primarily for flowers or to produce edible seeds. They don't want to draw attention to the fact that the pretty flowers in Grandma's yard produce narcotics.

A yard full would only give you enough for a couple of doses. You would need a big field like you see on the news.

Most annual poppies produce opium to some degree. The perennials don't.

Narcotics are bad news no matter what form they are in, natural or synthetic, you can get hooked on poppy straw tea just like you can on heroin.

I've personally seen an extraction from the dried poppies bought on ebay. they were said to be the papa somni. a 3 gallon bag of dried giant pods produced enough of "?" to stone several people, for several days time. I know that wasn't heroin, or even morphine base, but it made a lot of it, and it was potent. never saw it again, but remember like it was yesterday. nobody got hooked, but could tell that smoking the tar was crude use, yet effective.

I wondered how this plant escaped the war on drugs in our country, while we kill thousands in its defense abroad. seems strange, like most drug policies.

Edited by grassmatch

There are three countries currently farming poppy's for big Pharma, India, Australia and Indonesia.  They have combines for poppy like we do for corn. It is crazy to see.  They are talking about finding a way to do it in afghanistan.  

Like said above you can get the seeds for any variety of Popaver Somniferums (Poppy) and you can grow them, just don't get caught with a sliced one...

post-35225-0-75570500-1383564480_thumb.jpg = Lions Club Sight Preservation instead of  post-35225-0-54104800-1383565181_thumb.jpg ?

post-35225-0-03411500-1383564534_thumb.jpg= DTF-DEA Lapel Pin?

post-35225-0-34772300-1383564573_thumb.jpg= military remembrance pin.

If my son was killed with a knife, I'd be pizzed if everyone around me started wearing knives around their neck, on their walls.

Same thing, if my buddy lost his life guarding a poppy field from infiltrating the US, no poppies would be at his memorial.

how does that make you feel now, knowing that these flowers are widely available to the public and largely ignored in gardens everywhere. Anybody can buy, grow, and eat them legally. Poppies are an edible source of nutrition, and the seed pods have been used for a millennium in teas, raw, cooked, and easily refined. Seems strange we have world wars concerning the cultivation, sale, and use of this great ancient medicinal, yet anyone can grow it, in most areas.

Sorry But i will have to disagree and i really can't prove your wrong because i won't order any on line but they can't be the same other wise people would have done this already

In the United States, a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey is a registered importer of coca leaf. The company manufactures pure cocaine for medical use and also produces a cocaine-free extract of the coca leaf, which is used as a flavoring ingredient in Coca-Cola. Other companies have registrations with the DEA to import coca leaf according to 2011 Federal Register Notices for Importers, including Johnson Matthey, Inc, Pharmaceutical Materials; Mallinckrodt Inc; Penick Corporation; and the Research Triangle Institute. According to the Bolivian press, Coca-Cola imported 204 tons of coca leaf in 1996.

I see a pattern with this. Industrial hemp is illegal to grow here, yet Obama himself is able to import it, make textiles, and resell to a country that has no legal access otherwise.

YOu cannot even possess a coca leaf, let alone grow it for a company that sells it here, yet, stock marketeers are able to legally ship this across broders to sell back to a country where its illegal.

we've got bigger problems than medical marijuana here. seems the almighty dollar is king in yet another fine example of capitalism. Our fearless leaders are willing to put us to death legally for farming hemp that is routinely imported to dozens of companies for production of materials sold back to us !

"While current U.S. Federal law allows for the punishment of death for those who have extraordinary amounts of the drug (60,000 kilograms or 60,000 plants) or are part of a continuing criminal enterprise in smuggling contraband which nets over $20 million, the United States Supreme Court has held that no crimes other than murder and treason can constitutionally carry a death sentence (Coker v. Georgia and Kennedy v. Louisiana)"

scary

did you read the post#20, right before yours?  um, coca cola, according to 2011 Federal Register Notices for Importers, including Johnson Matthey, Inc, Pharmaceutical Materials; Mallinckrodt Inc; Penick Corporation; and the Research Triangle Institute

and more. try google, Wikipedia, and others for the list.

this is the same for industrial hemp. Dr Bronner imports the illegal plant material for use in his soap. He may be our  biggest supporter for legalized industrial hemp cultivation, and the separation from the thc containing varieties with considerations to manufacturing/growing it.