Synder Passes Drug Testing For Unemployment Benefits

LANSING, MI -- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder on Tuesday signed into law a package of bills designed to reform the state's unemployment insurance system and ensure continued access to federal grants and business tax credits.

"These are necessary updates to make sure Michigan is in line with federal requirements," Snyder said in a released statement. "They will also help strengthen the unemployment insurance system by reducing fraud."

The five-bill package will update Michigan law to align the state with new federal rules, as Snyder's release highlighted, but it also includes a controversial measure designed to cut off unemployment benefits for jobless individuals who fail or refuse to take a drug test offered by a prospective employer.

Under Public Act 146 of 2013, sponsored by state Rep. Ken Goike, R-Ray Township, employers will be able to choose whether to share drug test results with the state. Failure or refusal to participate would be considered proof that an individual "refused an offer of suitable work," allowing the state to terminate benefits.

"It's all about personal responsibility," Goike said last week after his bill won final approval in the House. "...Obviously, if you're doing drugs and the job requires that you be drug free, then you're not willing and able to work."

A handful of Democrats in each chamber raised concerns about the drug-testing proposal, suggesting it was more about politics than good public policy. But several joined with Republican majorities to send the measure to the governor's desk.

The law includes a sunset, meaning that lawmakers will need to revisit the drug-testing policy in one year to determine whether it should continue.

Other new laws in the package will give the state greater authority to recover funds paid out as a result of fraudulent unemployment claims, redirect allocation of recovered funds and require employers to cover improper payments resulting from their own failure to provide timely and accurate information to the state.

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/10/michigan_gov_rick_snyder_signs_7.html

Sickening. I guess they own a drug testing company?

This Does Nothing to Help any person....

Only the true Owners of the State.... Businesses...

I guess we should start looking forward to a tinkle test come layoff time now...

I have my fake whizz already, do you?

If you do construction, landscaping any outdoor work you need to look out.

Such a beautiful way to Screw over People who Were working....

Keep your fake whizz near by people.

The state is a bunch of effing Idiots....

$40.00 to buy a bottle and keep it in my lunchbox.

Problem solved...

Dumbasses

no.

the same thing that started the war on drugs. its all about the blacks and the mexicans! the entire thing, from the policing, the laws, the courts, the drug testing, the probation, its all absurdly racist.

http://news.yale.edu/2013/09/25/racial-differences-exist-reports-workplace-drug-testing

Drug testing occurs more often in workplaces where racial and ethnic minorities are employed, according to a new study by Yale School of Medicine.

63% of black workers were employed in a workplace that performs drug testing, whereas only 46% of white workers were;

Edited by t-pain

My brother got fired from his job for smoking  MJ on the job. It was before the law even got to the ballot.When he applied for unemployment,they would not give him anything because of the reason he was fired. My hubs drives a truck. I don't even medicate around him. GPS,all intrusive. Why test a kid working at McDs when it should be all Fed and State employees that should be tested? All politicians and judges,anyone working in law enforcement should be REQUIRED to submit to random testing.

I saw a lot of griping and paranoia above. Michigan state law, regarding the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act, states otherwise. I am interested in the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and the effects on UCB. Please provide facts and not speculation. Marijuana smoking/testing is in reference to the job; it is usually promoted by the company's insurance policy.

Edited by hpxguy

I saw a lot of griping and paranoia above. Michigan state law, regarding the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act, states otherwise. I am interested in the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and the effects on UCB. Please provide facts and not speculation. Marijuana smoking/testing is in reference to the job; it is usually promoted by the company's insurance policy.

I think the legislature (the fknRepublicans for the most part) had to find a way to incorporate this anti-drug legislation into existing law. If a person is receiving unemployment comp. they cannot refuse a job. Doing so will result in the termination of the UC benefits. What they have done here is to make the failing of a drug test the equivalent of refusing work. It appears from the article that prospective employers will be the ones requiring the drug test. If an employer doesn't require a test but just rejects the applicant for other reasons, I believe that the UC benefits will continue, but it will depend on why the applicant was rejected. For example, if the applicant doesn't have transportation and can't get to the job, this is an acceptable reason for refusing work. There are a lot of acceptable reasons for refusing work. One acceptable reason was (may still be for all I know) that the job required the individual to work on the Sabbath. Religion does come in handy now and then.