New To This Site And New To Growing!

Hello everyone, 

You will probably see me lurking around here a lot as I am new to growing and looking for good advice and direction. My son recently suffered a traumatic brain injury after having a seizure, which caused a bike accident. We were told at the hospital he was in a comma and his body had begun to shut down, he  likely would not survive the craniotomy they were going to preform but IF he did, they gave us the most horrible prognosis. Four hours after surgery, he began "coming to" on his own and was released 7 days later with no sign that anything ever happened except the 109 staples and 4 metal plates in his skull. Other than the moments after the accident, he has not suffered any loss of memory, no loss of cognitive functions, no loss of motor skills, nothing. At the advice of some very educated professionals, information was offered to us on the benefits of cannabinoids and the neuro-reparative benefits, assist with seizures and to also aid in sleep as after a TBI ( when he came home home the for the  first three days he slept a total of 4 hours!) as traditional RX would do more harm to the brain. We took the big leap and got his medical marijuana card with me as caregiver. My son has some knowledge of growing (friends of his grow), I have NONE! Obviously I want to grow quality as this is my son! Again, any good advice will be appreciated!

Hello everyone,

You will probably see me lurking around here a lot as I am new to growing and looking for good advice and direction. My son recently suffered a traumatic brain injury after having a seizure, which caused a bike accident. We were told at the hospital he was in a comma and his body had begun to shut down, he likely would not survive the craniotomy they were going to preform but IF he did, they gave us the most horrible prognosis. Four hours after surgery, he began "coming to" on his own and was released 7 days later with no sign that anything ever happened except the 109 staples and 4 metal plates in his skull. Other than the moments after the accident, he has not suffered any loss of memory, no loss of cognitive functions, no loss of motor skills, nothing. At the advice of some very educated professionals, information was offered to us on the benefits of cannabinoids and the neuro-reparative benefits, assist with seizures and to also aid in sleep as after a TBI ( when he came home home the for the first three days he slept a total of 4 hours!) as traditional RX would do more harm to the brain. We took the big leap and got his medical marijuana card with me as caregiver. My son has some knowledge of growing (friends of his grow), I have NONE! Obviously I want to grow quality as this is my son! Again, any good advice will be appreciated!

Glad to hear he is doing good and your willing to ttry this wonderful plant. Also welcome to the site you will find alot of helpful people here.

thats great he didnt lose much after brain surgery.

some people have to learn to talk and walk after something like that.

i've heard that cannabis has neuro protectant effects. hope it works for him.

i dont want to mess up any doctor relationships, but if your doctors are ok with mmj, try to get his doctors to document all mmj effects on his brain. its always good for science, and if any mean people come along you can show them his chart.

growing plants can take between 8 to 14 weeks.

my advice for first time growers:

use hps lights. they are the tried and true method.

grow in dirt with organic nutes , compost, rock dust and worm castings.

start with 12 plants (your limit per 1 patient). you might lose one or two.

get a water filter + water timer with drip irrigation. its so easy to miss water and kill a plant. its much easier just to setup a $50 water system and let it go.

you are going to need a fan, and definitely a filter, the plants tend to make odors.

dont forget theres plenty of marijuana growing books at your local library or online.

feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Edited by t-pain

Tons of info on the internet. I agree with t-pain re: soil as the best medium for beginners. An easy method that is also pretty foolproof is to use one of the organic nutrient fortified soil mixes available at most grow shops - Fox Farms Ocean Forest (really produces nice plants but requires additional nutrients after 30 days. Grow shop can advise on organics to add at thirty days), Sunshine mix #4, etc. All you have to do is water the plants with GOOD water. I have used my own softened well water for years and it works great. Straight well or city water usually has minerals or chemicals that will ruin the soil.

Get and read "The Medical Marijuana Growers Bible" by Jorge Cervantes. All the info you need in one compact book.

stay away from forum advice is my advice. Buy Jorge Cervantes grow bible, and treat it as such. read it daily, I suspect you wont be able to help yourself from picking it up  for years even. with solid advice form that book alone, I have successfully harvested a full garden for 5 years with never an issue. No bugs, No mold, No outside smell, No trials, errors, nute burns, diseases, deficiency, fire, electrical , or any other issue. I just replace an ac unit, half off at sears, after five years of grow room abuse. that's it. I even recycle my soil with worm farms. I don't buy commercial fertilizers, and my product is superb by any standards. my dry room is also fully controlled, but not in my grow facility. I built it per the book, and th end results are exact every time, I have no surprises, except when I finally found that one pheno of LSD, the one that smells like no other. I still keep her.

don't start out with the minimalist approach. Anty up and get the best you can afford, and the right stuff, one time. don't use Tupperware, get yourself some grow trays, don't use cfl's or flouros in flower, us hps/mh instead, just like Jorge said......you can do it, its not magic, but will seem like it when you sample the best exotics you've ever had soon. don't buy clones, get proven seeds, ask for them, sometimes I give mine out for free even.  dont use tricks......if tricks worked....they wouldnt be tricks, but instead would be the way we do it. there are no tricks, just gardening.

Thank you all,

I did download the book Growing Elite Marijuana and so far that seems to have a lot of helpful information. I say seems because I really have nothing to compare it to yet. I will have to rely on my son to tell me how anything turns out after its harvested. I feel like I'm flying blind here. The last time I smoked you could still buy nickel bags,  and there was no such thing as medical marijuana. We have been very fortunate with all of the medical professionals we have dealt with so far (other than 1). I was very impressed even with the doctor that certified my son. My son is not yet 20 and the doctor was extremely hesitant to even let him schedule an appointment because of his age but felt the severity of the condition warranted it. I was surprised at the clientele in the office, not at all the type of people I was expecting (no, I'm not judgmental, or at least not on purpose, without saying to much, I am a mental health professional and we are conditioned to have this stereotype in our mind of the marijuana user. In fact some of my colleagues hit the roof when I discussed with them my son was offered marijuana by a health professional). The certifying doctor discussed goals and expectations with my son and even told him if took this as "pass" to abuse the drug,  he was letting everyone in the waiting room down in not demonstrating to the public the efficacy of marijuana. 

I was trying to look up like a "starter" set for growing, maybe they don't exist? I feel like a need a "checklist"! We are fortunate enough that in my home we have a few rooms we don't use and an old milking parlor that might be appropriate in the warmer weather months. Where do we get seeds? or are clones better? How do I determine the seeds or clones I get are legitimate? 

Thank you all,

I did download the book Growing Elite Marijuana and so far that seems to have a lot of helpful information. I say seems because I really have nothing to compare it to yet. I will have to rely on my son to tell me how anything turns out after its harvested. I feel like I'm flying blind here. The last time I smoked you could still buy nickel bags, and there was no such thing as medical marijuana. We have been very fortunate with all of the medical professionals we have dealt with so far (other than 1). I was very impressed even with the doctor that certified my son. My son is not yet 20 and the doctor was extremely hesitant to even let him schedule an appointment because of his age but felt the severity of the condition warranted it. I was surprised at the clientele in the office, not at all the type of people I was expecting (no, I'm not judgmental, or at least not on purpose, without saying to much, I am a mental health professional and we are conditioned to have this stereotype in our mind of the marijuana user. In fact some of my colleagues hit the roof when I discussed with them my son was offered marijuana by a health professional). The certifying doctor discussed goals and expectations with my son and even told him if took this as "pass" to abuse the drug, he was letting everyone in the waiting room down in not demonstrating to the public the efficacy of marijuana.

I was trying to look up like a "starter" set for growing, maybe they don't exist? I feel like a need a "checklist"! We are fortunate enough that in my home we have a few rooms we don't use and an old milking parlor that might be appropriate in the warmer weather months. Where do we get seeds? or are clones better? How do I determine the seeds or clones I get are legitimate?

Htg.com you can buy a whole grow tent fans lights timers filters all for one price. They do have a few stores around mi as well.

call around to the hydro stores near you. ask about buying a complete starter kit.

some will offer discounts. get prices and measure the room you want to start in.

legally they arent allowed to say the word 'marijuana', so just say 'beginner complete grow kit for 12 plants'

(yes, we live in a country founded on free speech. makes sense huh??)

tents can help control lights and odor , but can also cause humidity and ventilation problems.

tents can also get expensive as you look at the larger sizes.

it was a shock to me, seeing the people in the clinic werent 20yr olds with goofy hats and tyedye shirts.

we've been brainwashed all of our lives about marijuana and people. its time to wake up.

The MMDA, an association of Michigan dispensary and caregiving operations determined the average age of a Michigan Medical Marijuana patient to be 46.2 years old.

The age of these men ranged from 24 to 62, with the average age being 40

Colorado reports that sixty-one percent of patients are male with an average age of thirty-nine

the best way to get seeds/clones is from someone you know, your sons' friends? well, that can cause problems if other people know you grow, opens yourself up to rippers. make sure youve registered with lara as your caregiver whoever you get plants / seeds from to be 100% legal.

the second best way is to talk to other patients or caregivers in a compassion club or on the forums here. you may want to mention what city you are near.

you can also order seeds online from various websites.

here are still some dispensaries and co-operatives active. if you live near ann arbor, that city seems the most progressive and understanding for patients.

you can find dispensaries/co-ops on the weedmaps website.

you maybe able to get seeds or clones off craigslist.

most people would recommend not using craigslist, as its not the safest environment when dealing with money.

whatever you decide to do, be safe about it.

as for finding legit plants/seeds, havent seen anyone get fooled by buying navy beans or something yet. heh.

seen a few people complain about buying clones that were infected with spider mites. so thats always a concern.

just look at a few dozen images on the web to see exactly what the plants and clones and seeds should look like. there arent many plants that look that similar, although there are a few.

nows also a good time to find a lawyer, just in case. just to put a card in your wallet if you get stuck in a jam.

most people wont run into trouble, the boy scouts taught me to 'always be prepared'.

Thank you all,

I did download the book Growing Elite Marijuana and so far that seems to have a lot of helpful information. I say seems because I really have nothing to compare it to yet. I will have to rely on my son to tell me how anything turns out after its harvested. I feel like I'm flying blind here. The last time I smoked you could still buy nickel bags,  and there was no such thing as medical marijuana. We have been very fortunate with all of the medical professionals we have dealt with so far (other than 1). I was very impressed even with the doctor that certified my son. My son is not yet 20 and the doctor was extremely hesitant to even let him schedule an appointment because of his age but felt the severity of the condition warranted it. I was surprised at the clientele in the office, not at all the type of people I was expecting (no, I'm not judgmental, or at least not on purpose, without saying to much, I am a mental health professional and we are conditioned to have this stereotype in our mind of the marijuana user. In fact some of my colleagues hit the roof when I discussed with them my son was offered marijuana by a health professional). The certifying doctor discussed goals and expectations with my son and even told him if took this as "pass" to abuse the drug,  he was letting everyone in the waiting room down in not demonstrating to the public the efficacy of marijuana. 

Welcome to the site.. So sad to hear your story, I hope things turn around for the best with his health no hiccups down the road.. On a bike hes lucky to be alive. I'm a bike rider myself gives me chills reading stories like yours.

Anywho, here is a link I have shared several times with many members that are new and looking to learn..

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/537/entry-919-marijuana-growing-guide-free-library-helps-everyone-learn-how-to-grow-marijuana-plant/

Trix

:bong2:

How big of a space do I need for twelve plants. One room I have is 130 sf and the other is 115sf with an attached den type room that is 8x8. I know those rooms are small but they are all on the second story and i don't use them. The smaller room with the den area is in the back of the house, it faces all fields. Also the rooms on the second story have 16ft cathedral ceilings and I'm not sure if that will be an issue. I have about 600 usable sf in the parlor but coming into winter, there is no way I could keep it heated without extra work for which I do not have the money or time for right now.

I would like to attend one of the compassion meetings, I live north of Lansing.

That will totally depend on how large and how long you plan to veg your plants. I personally beg for short times, and my cloning area is as simple as a small tabletop greenhouse. I veg in a room 10 times larger than I need, but the work space is nice. My whole veg/clone/work room is 10x12, usually housing 35 or so plant/clones and my flowering room, separated by a light lock curtain, is 20x12, with another 30 or so maturing plants at different stages of finish. I've seen plants grown in a computer case, gym locker, Heat, air conditioning, smell control, wet/dirty area, big bin with soil mixing, storage, etc. tall ceilings are good, and allow the excess heat to be above your plant canopy, a good thing.

good luck

How big of a space do I need for twelve plants. One room I have is 130 sf and the other is 115sf with an attached den type room that is 8x8. I know those rooms are small but they are all on the second story and i don't use them. The smaller room with the den area is in the back of the house, it faces all fields. Also the rooms on the second story have 16ft cathedral ceilings and I'm not sure if that will be an issue. I have about 600 usable sf in the parlor but coming into winter, there is no way I could keep it heated without extra work for which I do not have the money or time for right now.

a 10x12 room is plenty for 12 plants.

theres some grow videos on youtube that explain step by step how to setup a room for growing.

which includes splitting up the room for veg/flower areas.

search for setup marijuana grow room or grow room howto to find them.

heres a video that will scare anyone! its a complete grow room setup, sprout, veg, bloom, trim video. from an office, to a grow room, to a drying room. just to show you what you are going to be in for for the next 3+ months.

its just a 12 minute overview of what you will have to do. you obviously dont have to follow every step that the video takes. but its very thorough.

Edited by t-pain

You have enough room to grow 12 plants. With 16 foot ceilings (gulp) you will not have to worry about vegging the plants too long. They would have plenty of space to stretch in that room. If you are only concerned with growing 12 plants, you can set up one room for vegging (the 18 on - 6 off cycle) and another room for flower (the 12 on - 12 off cycle) or just use one room for both cycles to save expense. You can use two 400 watt metal halide lights for vegging and two 600 watt HPS for flowering or just use two 600 watt set ups in one room and veg and flower in the same room. You would be able to do 8 plants at a time under both light set ups, but 6 at a time would keep you within your limits.. The room with the 16 ft. ceilings would be the one to use for flowering if you want to go b-i-g. You could produce some monsters in that room.

Lights produce quite a bit of heat that will effectively heat up a room if the heat is not drawn away. Two 600 watt lights will produce heat equivalent to a 1500 watt electric space heater.

Edited by Chauncy Gardner

Thank you T-Pain for that video! And now that I am completely overwhelmed lol! Thank you Chauncy for being specific. I wish there was such thing as a grow room consultant. Someone who comes in , looks at the space and gives you a

Good, better, best" options for setting up the rooms!

Oh boy, that would be groovy!

Although, I have taken time to get to know some caregivers that were willing to come to my place & give such an opinion.

After several ideas, suggestions etc... I chose a tent for bloom which actually was the 1st suggestion, lol.

Best to you 

There is, just ask, with your city name.  I've seen attics, closets, and even computer cases transformed into machines. Most of those grow books/vids mentioned will show you all you'll need to know of set up. set your budget first. consider heat, light, humidity, air conditioning, work space, water accessibility, waste management, mold, condensation, sealed or not sealed room, dirt or hydro/both, smells, traffic, fire safety, equipment mounting/storage, then you can pimp it anyway you like to ergonomically work for you 

Thank you T-Pain for that video! And now that I am completely overwhelmed lol! Thank you Chauncy for being specific. I wish there was such thing as a grow room consultant. Someone who comes in , looks at the space and gives you a
Good, better, best" options for setting up the rooms!