Thinking About Moving From Indiana To Michigan, Help Me Decide?

Link

No worries man, you already have a great start. hang in there, spend less on girls, give it time more patients will come your practice will flourish, you'll hire associates

and then be ready to invest with me in Colorado, while I age at your vista and run our farms.

nobody sells mj for 30 dollars an ounce. dispensaries did charge 30 dollars a gram often though. you just have the "I just graduated and I aint makin no money yet blues" is all. took me some 40 years before I started to become what I wanted to be when I grew up. The rest of the time I messed off, made some money, and spent more. You've got the jump on me kiddo, I bet these guys would welcome you as a member here, like our resident chiropractor, even though you don't grow in MI, or anywhere yet......

Yeah, I could get an MD degree, ahh but more school?  I've already went to school for 7 years past high school, and I believe Chiro credits don't transfer hardly at all to medical school.  I would be looking at close to 4 more years and probably another 100 to $150k in debt.  Ahh.... :(

if it turns out you find yourself a weedie who must pursue growing for profit, vancouver, bc is the place, not michigan...when i grew there in 1996 i met former chiros, among many others--mainly teachers--with a garage and a basement full of plants, making $350k net, and like here, it is semi-legal.  but in vancouver we got paid BIG for taking that risk.   here you just suck wind, love the plant and use your own meds at breakeven.  this is not the land of dollars.

Thank you all for your inspiring words.  You've all helped a ton.  I really do enjoy my current job, and I do help a lot of people.

There's a few details you don't know about the situation that I'm working in, but the one thing you are all right about is that I thought about jumping ship on a great job for pot farming, which would have been a selfish move from the perspective of my patients.  I almost got sucked into a pipe dream, so to speak.  Thank you for not letting that happen.

Thank you all for your inspiring words.  You've all helped a ton.  I really do enjoy my current job, and I do help a lot of people.

There's a few details you don't know about the situation that I'm working in, but the one thing you are all right about is that I thought about jumping ship on a great job for pot farming, which would have been a selfish move from the perspective of my patients.  I almost got sucked into a pipe dream, so to speak.  Thank you for not letting that happen.

Any time.

so, a residency change to another country you say ? like defecting to grow mj. I fear that 18 years time has passed since your experience, and I promise it is not the same show today.

if it turns out you find yourself a weedie who must pursue growing for profit, vancouver, bc is the place, not michigan...when i grew there in 1996 i met former chiros, among many others--mainly teachers--with a garage and a basement full of plants, making $350k net, and like here, it is semi-legal.  but in vancouver we got paid BIG for taking that risk.   here you just suck wind, love the plant and use your own meds at breakeven.  this is not the land of dollars.

Edited by grassmatch

link:  at age 27, 4 years seems too, too long.

at 60, it is a blip, where did the minutes between 55 and 60 go?

two minimum wage jobs 7 days/week (chiro + farming) will wear you down quicker than 4 years of skul, and two min. wage jobs only offer more of the same for 5, 10, 15 years, no relief, no land of mucho $.

so, a residency change to another country you say ? like defecting to grow mj. I fear that 18 years time has passed since your experience, and I promise it is not the same show today.

friends, including marc emery, keep me updated, and if semi-legal suits you and working at home thrills you, and you drive clean cause fri nuight at lites the cops come dowwn the waiting cars tsapping on windows smelling breath and car interiors looking for violators, the $200k is still there today.

avg prod cost per oz in michigan = $100 (not including labor)

Holy crap that is an absurdly high average for production costs.

I'm very curious where anyone got the idea that it costs $1600 dollars a pound to produce marijuana indoors. Did you run the numbers? What does a $1600 /lb setup look like? Seriously I'm really curious.

The very highest estimates I had previously heard was $1000 /lb. I scoffed at that but I can see it. I do it organically, indoors, in the dirt, not particularly efficiently if I do say so myself for under 600 lb, or 37.5 /oz, free labor, my own, of course. That was using data I had compiled over a 2 month period. These where all production strains though (except LA CON) so individual plants were 8+ oz (grand daddy purple and purple kush).

Add cost for using store bought nutrients, poor plant training, inefficient electrical devices, poor scheduling, no CO2, store bought insecticides, yeah the cost could jump to $1000 but $1600? That's nuts man.

My equipment costs are minimal, all and all well under 10K, the problem there was getting right stuff to begin with, and adapting my style for efficiency. I'd be happy to show a chiropractor just how to make it happen. Though I'm sure we scared you away (rightfully) from the concept to begin with. No way you are doing this all legal and outdoors man, no way, pick one or the other.

As for vacations of course you can take vacations. I can take a 1 week long vacation anytime I want. The magic of autowatering and scheduling my activities on a weekly basis to include harvesting etc etc. This has been done by MJ growers all over the world.

The money is there, easily had, at an average of $175 /oz. Make all the money your 5 patients revenue stream could possibly ever hope to handle. The issue is finding the patients and as grassmatch said, that's a bit of an art and a science in and of itself (I heard that he's working on that). The solution years ago was stacked up patients I.E. patients that had patients but the law pinched us on that one. Now you are only allowed to transfer medicine to alleviate YOUR particular patients symptoms. Kind of funny that the dept. allows patients to be caregivers and also have a caregiver but w/e, I read the court case and that is the opinion of the courts on this matter as of now. I've never heard of anyone getting popped because of this but if you do it and you know you are doing it it's definately illegal.

Patients that consume enough cannabis monthly to make this worth your time fall into three categories:

(1) Want your buds to make their own wax, and they consume a lot of wax

(2) Are consuming very large quantities of cannabis monthly themselves and are probably a PITA

(3) Have "patients" themselves, signed up or unofficial, and can either be a major PITA or nice people to work with.

(4) Work for / supply dispensaries that get raided and then you get raided.

And I'd also like to pile on the bandwagon of: things aren't getting any better here. Fact: Corporate interests are edging their way in. Fact: Communities are actively enforcing and infringing upon medical marijuana activities. Fact: Competition keeps driving prices lower and lower. Opinion: Legal risk outweighs any potential for big profits, abort plan.

I did, at one time, outline a plan that - with the right patients - using real world production numbers and 72 plants - would net the caregiver 175K the second year at a purchase price of $140 /oz. Unfortunately, getting rid of all that cannabis legally is downright impossible and surely would attract much attention. The better route for those seeking big $$$ is to just make big illegal transactions just like the old days.