In Medical Marijuana Debate, Whitmer Moves For Simplification, Decriminalization

Whitmer amendments to SB 660 move to end vilification, put patients' needs and access first

Lansing – During the debate on Senate Bill 660 today, legislation to regulate medical marijuana as a prescription drug if it is federally reclassified, Senate Democratic Leader Gretchen Whitmer offered a variety of amendments intended to improve patients' access to medical marijuana and end the legal ambiguity surrounding its use. Whitmer issued the following statement today clarifying her position on the legislation:

“Since the passage of the public referendum to legalize marijuana for medical use in 2008, the Michigan Legislature has tried and failed to regulate the industry in a way that accommodates patients while appeasing social conservatives.

The end result has been constant confusion and legal ambiguity and an array of red tape that has impeded Michigan's sick from getting the treatment they need. Furthermore, the archaic approach to marijuana by statewide elected officials lags behind public sentiment, as a growing number of local communities - including Lansing, Jackson and Ferndale just last week -

have voted to decriminalize its private, personal use. I do not think SB 660 passed today effectively clears the air on marijuana use, and in order to improve it, I offered several amendments today - including an outright decriminalization of all marijuana use - to simplify marijuana access and availability for patients in need and get the Legislature in line with the will of the people we represent.

“I voted in support of legalizing medical marijuana in 2008, because like the many frustrated people who came before the Government Operations Committee last week, I cared for a mother dying of brain cancer and would have given anything to help ease her pain and stimulate her appetite. There are many Michigan citizens who are still suffering that benefit greatly from medical marijuana,

but it is only effective if it is accessible, and sadly the Republican Majority in this body continues to avoid true reforms that would adequately address that. Instead, with SB 660, they choose to focus on phantom legislation that completely misses the point and offers no relief or clarity for those in need.”

- See more at: http://whitmer.senatedems.com/news/article/in-medical-marijuana-debate-whitmer-moves-for-simplification-decriminalization#sthash.VbyqoKBy.dpuf

Maybe you can also send her a Thank you note

During the debate on Senate Bill 660 today, legislation to regulate medical marijuana as a prescription drug if it is federally reclassified, Senate Democratic Leader Gretchen Whitmer offered a variety of amendments intended to improve patients' access to medical marijuana and end the legal ambiguity surrounding its use.

all of these ammendments failed btw.

That's my district :)  I will send her a thank you.

What if she decides to run for an office?

Those are 4 year offices and she started 2010.

Seems a possibility she try a run for ATTORNEY GENERAL???? AGAIN???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretchen_Whitmer

As a State Representative, Whitmer served as the Ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee for four years. Whitmer filed paperwork in October 2009 to run for the position of Michigan Attorney General. However, she suspended her campaign for Michigan Attorney General in January 2010 after only four months, citing family concerns.[4]

On November 5, 2010, her Democratic colleagues chose Whitmer to be the Senate Democratic Leader.

I think a thank you note + maybe let her know you would support her if she ran for MI Attorney General ???

I am a small government fiscal conservative.

I believe in the tenets of economist Martin Armstrong and the Cowboy Creed:

According to economist Martin Armstrong:

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Cowboy Creed

I will work and take care of my family, you work and take care of yours.
I will keep the money I earned, you keep the money you earned.
I will spend my money as I see fit, you spend your money as you see fit.
I will willingly give to those in need because I want too, but never because I'm being forced too.

That said, Gretchen Whitmore would get my vote for AG simply because the current AG and the Republican arrest and punishment industry are the worst sort of big government abomination.