Propaganda: Toke Up On Mold, Insects And Manure

bobandtorey

Some may tout marijuana as a safe, recreational drug with valuable medicinal properties, but toke up your joint and it likely contains mold, pesticides, even dead insects, according to researchers at the University of New Haven in Connecticut.

In their genetic studies of marijuana, the researchers found a variety of nasty byproducts in the plant: fungi, mildew and even such bacterial contaminants as e-coli and salmonella.

Much of it could be seen with the naked eye on the surface of plants, said Heather Miller Coyle, a forensic botanist and associate professor at the university, who has built a DNA database of different types of marijuana that has helped federal law enforcement learn where illegal pot growers and dealers get their product.

Now she has turned her attention to public health and is urging states where marijuana is legal to pass strict certification laws.

Marijuana is a controlled substance that is illegal under federal law. But in states where it is used legally for medicinal purposes, there is limited testing, and the testing that is done is for medical potency, not purity.

"Every other medicine out there is controlled and monitored for quality and not administered in a smokable format," Coyle told ABCNews.com.

"There's a lot of concern about the way these forms of medical marijuana are grown," she said. "A lot of the time, they are grown in a noncertified fashion, especially in California.

"They are grown in open fields or illegally on federal park lands," she said. "Pesticides are dumped on them to prevent damage and increase yield. Some are grown between crops of different species, and chickens are running around and fertilizers are being used.

"They are grown in the wild by people and are not certified by anyone," said Coyle. "What would the effect be on a person who is immune compromised or seriously ill?"

Colorado and Washington are first states to legalize recreational marijuana.

Coyle said potential health hazards could include allergic reactions, especially in the inhalation of molds or spores.

"In a normally healthy person, that might not matter, but for someone who is immune compromised, it could cause inadvertent death," she said.

Chemicals might also be toxic if smoked. Newer herbal blends made with synthetic THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, are also worrisome, said Coyle.

Jewish rabbi ties faith to medical marijuana dispensary.

For the past five years, Coyle's research has been funded by a $100,000 grant from the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy's High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program. She and her students have developed a bar-coding system to identify the different varieties of marijuana and to study its genetic foundation. The system helps to detect contaminants and could be widely used to test medical marijuana.

"The health hazards have not been fully investigated, and it's not being grown in controlled greenhouse environments with state regulations and safety visits," she said. "Medical marijuana is of great concern because of claims that it has medicinal value."

National advocates for legalization such as the Washington, D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project support efforts to certify product safety.

"Our mission is to end marijuana prohibition and to replace it with a system that regulates marijuana like alcohol," spokesman Mason Tvert told ABCNews.com. "In some sense, you could say our goal is to ensure that marijuana is being tested."

Medical marijuana is legal in 20 states and in Washington, D. C., but safety regulations vary. In states such as Washington and Colorado, where pot is now sold openly in stores, legislators are for the first time putting more rigid testing requirements in place.

Since the legalization of limited amounts of medical marijuana in Colorado in 2000, the state has had no requirements for testing -- it was all voluntary, according to Genifer Murray, CEO of Cannlabs, a private testing company.

"The only reasons for testing have been to market [marijuana] -- to say you have a high THC plant," Murray told ABCNews.com.

She said that in addition to microbes, such as e-coli and salmonella, testers have found resident solvents in hashish, which is made from the resin and other fragments of cannabis.

"When you take the flower of the plant to make hash you need to use a solvent – it can be water, CO2 or alcohol," she said. "All those are safe. But then you have hydrocarbons like butanes and propane."

When Colorado voters approved legalization of marijuana for recreational use in 2012, labs were required to test for residual solvents and perform microbe testing for molds, mildew, salmonella and e-coli, she said. Pesticide testing will be required in 2014.

But so far, the law applies only to marijuana sold in stores to those over the age of 21, not to medical marijuana.

"Since there has been no regulation, there have been a lot of backseat labs and mobile labs with no chemistry who don't know what they are doing," Murray said.

"To be honest – it's absolutely awful," said Murray. "Only about 7 percent of the market is tested. It's very expensive and no one wants to pay for it. But now, it is going to be mandated and they are adding other tests."

Colorado only allows marijuana to be grown in the state, mostly in large warehouses and greenhouses. "Colorado has some of the best genetics in the country," she said.

But even so, mold can grow in hot summer temperatures if air conditioning fails, or if the plants are transported to dispensaries in containers that are humid.

"The last thing we want to do is preach it won't kill you, and then have someone die of contaminated cannabis," said Murray.

Researcher Coyle said that the federal government already had the technology to test agricultural products for potentially dangerous contaminants.

"The food industry has had it for a long time for salmonella outbreaks on eggs and lettuce," she said. "If states are going to allow [marijuana], they should have controlled facilities and monitor those facilities and report to the federal government so there is some measure of safety."

http://gma.yahoo.com/marijuana-toke-mold-insects-manure-112248829--abc-news-health.html

"They are grown in open fields or illegally on federal park lands," she said. "Pesticides are dumped on them to prevent damage and increase yield. Some are grown between crops of different species, and chickens are running around and fertilizers are being used.

chickens? what the hell? running around!

I have a confession to make, everyone!

everyone listen up.

i smoked marijuana with mold and dead insects on it once. the marijuana killed me.

......i ... i got better.

must mean the food I grow in my backyard isn't safe, quick someone make a law.  Must mean I can't collect plants from natures fields for my table either.

I understand what they mean about someone who's immunocompromised hitting off a joint and inhaling unsterilized spores or bacteria but if you can't get a bug in your mouth then everything you do should be much more highly scrutinized than someone with IBS.

must mean the food I grow in my backyard isn't safe, quick someone make a law.  Must mean I can't collect plants from natures fields for my table either.

I understand what they mean about someone who's immunocompromised hitting off a joint and inhaling unsterilized spores or bacteria but if you can't get a bug in your mouth then everything you do should be much more highly scrutinized than someone with IBS.

the fda sets 'acceptable' levels of ecoli, salmonella, fecal coliforms in your food and medicine.

its fairly difficult to avoid such things in life. ever touch a doorknob?

if you keep your toothbrush in the bathroom... well...

also dont use public pools...

More than half Atlanta public pool samples had fecal bacteria in them.

when someone farts, what is it you are smelling? micro airborne poop.

I once found a petrified toad compressed in my sack, of compressed marijuana. I'd rather spark a bug than a hair, that drives me nuts. Mold spores are present on all but the recently cleaned surfaces every where, on every food item too. Considering the very same fda approves medicines(ALL) that each causes "undesirable" effects far more serious than the symptom supposing to be treated, even death, they can go to hell. Every packaged food item on the shelf contains ingredients known to cause disease. they can go to hell again !

There is no stopping the cannabis testing train.  Those that will benefit through testing requirements have already convinced lawmakers that testing is necessary to protect the uneducated or immunocompromised patient from pesticides and molds.  I would estimate that maybe 5% of the Michigan's patients need or wish to pay for this service.

With lawmakers, I think we should aim for a two-tiered system.  About 95% of the patients are content trusting their personal judgement when buying their cannabis.  I hope someone will make this point to the legislature during the SB660 discussions.

For the past five years, Coyle's research has been funded by a $100,000 grant from the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy's High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program.

National advocates for legalization such as the Washington, D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project support efforts to certify product safety.

"Our mission is to end marijuana prohibition and to replace it with a system that regulates marijuana like alcohol," spokesman Mason Tvert told ABCNews.com.

"If states are going to allow [marijuana], they should have controlled facilities and monitor those facilities and report to the federal government so there is some measure of safety."

That's all you need to know about this article.

I have found dead animals in bales of hay. And I know I smoked moldy mexican crap when I was younger. Remember during Viet Nam,our Govt was spraying it with Paraquat? Oh and did prohibition of alcohol work?  NO! It just created more crime. Man they never learn,and that is just stupid. The liquor lobbies DO NOT want MJ legalized! Instead they want you to drink then drive and kill someone.

dead insects ? i agree if anyone has smoked brick Cannabis from Mexico  then most likely has also

Me and you  most def smoked mj with all kinds of crap in it, and it was all grown by ilegal's all over calli and mexico, and every where else, any one in there any one that smoke mj before mm became legal smoked crappy weed with a bunch of crap in it! Im still here, I been smoking for over 40 yrs now.

Its all a bunch of b.s, people who grow it them selves for them selves and pt's do not use poison to grow their mm. if they do well dont make them your c.g and dont use their mm bawahahahaha  I find this very amusing, now if you never used mm untill the law came into effect probably the most you have smoked was some mite eggs and poo poo lol,  Moldy mj is realy easy to see and smell, if your new to the mm world do some studying on youtube and google, or ask some of your Kids or grand kids about it lol!

Big brother knows it is gonna be legal every where soon so they are looking to make it so it all has to be tested and it will cost a fortune and be taxed, again it is all about the almighty $$$$$$$$

Peace

I AM a  flower gardener. A good one. Our gardens are beautful,people take pictures of them. But I still don't use poison on them. Not on any veggies,not on any flowers. Nematoads and other benefical insects is what we use. And yes you can buy them at your local grain elevator. And yes you can make beer and wine. BUT NOT BOOZE Only 2 people have permission to make booze in the US from the Feds..The rest are moonshiners. And they sure as heck get busted for it. Google it. You can find out for yourself.

Edited by jointedone

...... And yes you can buy them at your local grain elevator. And yes you can make beer and wine. BUT NOT BOOZE Only 2 people have permission to make booze in the US from the Feds..The rest are moonshiners. And they sure as heck get busted for it. Google it. You can find out for yourself.

Come to think of it, none of us have federal permission to cultivate cannabis either. yet, we are able to, and choose to.  instead of us complaining about marijuana gang activity, we "could" choose to grow our own, and not contribute/support the ideals we do not agree with, for thought. People can choose to make their beer, wine and spirits, instead of supporting the very companies accused of keeping our herb down.

Why is it that all these claims are made about the dangers of marijuana, but no one ever cites any cases where real harm has occurred?

I think there should be a moratorium on unverified marijuana "facts". Either put up or shut up.

Not gonna happen. The world runs on bullschit.

They are the protien, with none of the pesky fat cells that we have become inFATuated with.  

" Many insects are packed with protein, fiber, good fats, and vital minerals—as much or more than many other food sources...."

more with NatGeo...

Video of cute young girls first experience... eating bugs.

I share their reluctance, though Im told they are quite tasty, the crickets anyway, I might be tempted under the right conditions...

Edited by solabeirtan