Minor Thinking About Trying For A Card In Michigan... Recommendations?

Hello! I am a 16 year old living in Michigan. I just joined this site today to ask a couple questions about trying to get a medical card. Last year I began having headaches. I got glasses because the eye doctor thought my eyes were causing them, but they turned out not to help. After that, I went to my doctor and got muscle relaxers prescribed to relax the muscles around my head. They were Flexeril, which helped, but I did not like being groggy all of the time and I ended up having hallucinations, which in short, freaked me out enough to make me stop taking them. Then I got a refill of the pills, just in case, and they were a different muscle relaxer. The news one give me a headache as a side effect, so I won't take them for obvious reasons. The name of the new ones were cyto something.

My mom wants me to get MRI's done of my head since she had Chiari Malformation by her cerebellum, which is basically a hernia. It can be genetic, and I pray that I do not have it. So after I get the MRI's done, hopefully with good results, I wanted to try to get my medical card. I'm sick of having to take pills, pills and more pills. Right now I am on a 4 day streak of a headache, which I go to sleep with and wake up the next morning with, unmedicated currently. These headaches are starting to effect me. Concentrating is hard, homework is hard, school is hard, reading is hard. Most nights I just give up on homework and go to bed. The severity of my headaches vary throughout the day from being manageable to out of control, cringing pain.

Do you think it is a possibility to get a medical card? Does anyone use marijuana for headaches/migraines? I know under the requirements for the card include pain, so would there be a chance? I am really sick of dealing with these headaches, and I'm sick of people just giving me new pills to fix it. At this rate I should be taking a pill everyday, which I don't want to do. I'd rather just go natural.

Thanks to anyone that will take the time to read this!

I wish you good luck. Your qualification will have to be determined by two doctors. Without that there is no access. I think that because you can show continuing treatment for the condition that it would be a responsible thing for a doctor to recommend you for the program. You are aware, aren't you, that your parents will be required to be your caregivers?

well first off your parents have to be your c.g, and they have to help you get your mm card, when you turn 18 I beleive you can get your card on your own, im hereing the all out legal states that you have to be 21 to do it recreational, but I do know of and heard of kids alot younger than you getting mm for their ailments and it works quite well!

Yea 1st thing is get them medical records going, I guess you could get it with chronic pain, that would be upto your dr, trust me it is hard enough to get a rec from a dr as an adult, I couldnt even imagine trying when I was 16, for one thing my parents wouldnt have done it for me lol,

any way your parents and a dr. would have to be all the way for it or you have no chance!

Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Peace

I wish you good luck. Your qualification will have to be determined by two doctors. Without that there is no access. I think that because you can show continuing treatment for the condition that it would be a responsible thing for a doctor to recommend you for the program. You are aware, aren't you, that your parents will be required to be your caregivers?

well first off your parents have to be your c.g, and they have to help you get your mm card, when you turn 18 I beleive you can get your card on your own, im hereing the all out legal states that you have to be 21 to do it recreational, but I do know of and heard of kids alot younger than you getting mm for their ailments and it works quite well!

Yea 1st thing is get them medical records going, I guess you could get it with chronic pain, that would be upto your dr, trust me it is hard enough to get a rec from a dr as an adult, I couldnt even imagine trying when I was 16, for one thing my parents wouldnt have done it for me lol,

any way your parents and a dr. would have to be all the way for it or you have no chance!

Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Peace

Fortunately, my mom would support this. I have to talk to my dad still, but since these headaches are making my grades suffer, I'm sure he will be fine with it. I will start getting medical records together and find a couple of doctors to go to. I read you shouldn't go to your usual doctor, because of the concern of hurting the relationship between you and the doctor. Is this true?

Fortunately, my mom would support this. I have to talk to my dad still, but since these headaches are making my grades suffer, I'm sure he will be fine with it. I will start getting medical records together and find a couple of doctors to go to. I read you shouldn't go to your usual doctor, because of the concern of hurting the relationship between you and the doctor. Is this true?

That can be true. It is considered best if your primary doctor will buy in. If you and your parents can carefully feel that doctor out regarding their attitude toward the treatment you might find it the best option.

The department shall not issue a registry identification card to a qualifying patient who is under the age of 18 unless:

(1) The qualifying patient's physician has explained the potential risks and benefits of the medical use of marihuana to the qualifying patient and to his or her parent or legal guardian;

(2) The qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian submits a written certification from 2 physicians; and

(3) The qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian consents in writing to:

(A) Allow the qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana;

(B) Serve as the qualifying patient's primary caregiver; and

© Control the acquisition of the marihuana, the dosage, and the frequency of the medical use of marihuana by the qualifying patient.

Do your parents know this?

you could potentially go through all of this only to find you are not marijuana friendly. have you already tried it and found relief ?

Hello! I am a 16 year old living in Michigan. I just joined this site today to ask a couple questions about trying to get a medical card. Last year I began having headaches. I got glasses because the eye doctor thought my eyes were causing them, but they turned out not to help. After that, I went to my doctor and got muscle relaxers prescribed to relax the muscles around my head. They were Flexeril, which helped, but I did not like being groggy all of the time and I ended up having hallucinations, which in short, freaked me out enough to make me stop taking them. Then I got a refill of the pills, just in case, and they were a different muscle relaxer. The news one give me a headache as a side effect, so I won't take them for obvious reasons. The name of the new ones were cyto something.

My mom wants me to get MRI's done of my head since she had Chiari Malformation by her cerebellum, which is basically a hernia. It can be genetic, and I pray that I do not have it. So after I get the MRI's done, hopefully with good results, I wanted to try to get my medical card. I'm sick of having to take pills, pills and more pills. Right now I am on a 4 day streak of a headache, which I go to sleep with and wake up the next morning with, unmedicated currently. These headaches are starting to effect me. Concentrating is hard, homework is hard, school is hard, reading is hard. Most nights I just give up on homework and go to bed. The severity of my headaches vary throughout the day from being manageable to out of control, cringing pain.

Do you think it is a possibility to get a medical card? Does anyone use marijuana for headaches/migraines? I know under the requirements for the card include pain, so would there be a chance? I am really sick of dealing with these headaches, and I'm sick of people just giving me new pills to fix it. At this rate I should be taking a pill everyday, which I don't want to do. I'd rather just go natural.

Thanks to anyone that will take the time to read this!

Your number one priority should be to do what your mom says and get that MRI. You need to rule out any disease or disorders. I suffered from severe migraine for decades, and the first thing the docs did was to rule out any pathology. From there you go on to decide what the best treatment is. Good luck to you. Headaches are miserable. 

Oh crap.. I don't think they would grow. Could they purchase it for me? I have younger siblings and a stepdad that is a cop, so growing would be a no go.

yes, parents could purchase it for you. they may have to sign caregiver forms to other patients who can then legally transfer meds to your parents, who then transfer meds to you.

headaches can be chronic pain. headaches can also cause nausea sometimes. or your medication for the headache can cause nausea.

nausea is another qualifying condition.

but yes, you need tests, mri, records, all that expensive stuff. and 2 doctors to sign off. and your parents to be your caregivers.

come up with a plan for your mmj. tell your parents if it affects your grades you will stop mmj and try every other pill you can find.

good luck. headaches suck.

One of the 10 patients in the normobaric group achieved significant relief of headache symptoms, while 9 of 10 in the hyperbaric group found relief. Based on a chi-square test, this difference is significant at the P < .005 level. Those patients who did not find significant relief from normobaric oxygen were given hyperbaric oxygen as above. All nine found significant relief. The results suggest that hyperbaric (but not normobaric) oxygen may be useful in the abortive management of migraine headache.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7775175

find out what is causing your headaches. and maybe ask a doctor about trying a hyperbaric chamber (a pressurized room w/ pure oxygen) for treating your aches. maybe it helps, maybe not. but its safer than most things, cant hurt to try...

Edited by t-pain

not being a stickler, but the above situation could be blurry at least because of this;

(2) is in possession of an amount of marihuana that does not exceed the amount allowed under this act. The presumption may be rebutted by evidence that conduct related to marihuana was not for the purpose of alleviating the qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition, in accordance with this act.

that part would bother me as a caregiver registering with dad to provide for son, ONLY, because this involves a minor, a shoe in for scrutiny, if it arises.

The department shall not issue a registry identification card to a qualifying patient who is under the age of 18 unless:

(1) The qualifying patient's physician has explained the potential risks and benefits of the medical use of marihuana to the qualifying patient and to his or her parent or legal guardian;

(2) The qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian submits a written certification from 2 physicians; and

(3) The qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian consents in writing to:

(A) Allow the qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana;

(B) Serve as the qualifying patient's primary caregiver; and

© Control the acquisition of the marihuana, the dosage, and the frequency of the medical use of marihuana by the qualifying patient.

Do your parents know this?

I will pass it on to them when I ask them their opinion.

you could potentially go through all of this only to find you are not marijuana friendly. have you already tried it and found relief ?

I do have access to it, so if my parents give it an okay, I can easily try it before going through the trouble of all the paperwork, etc. That was the next thing I actually was going to ask.

Your number one priority should be to do what your mom says and get that MRI. You need to rule out any disease or disorders. I suffered from severe migraine for decades, and the first thing the docs did was to rule out any pathology. From there you go on to decide what the best treatment is. Good luck to you. Headaches are miserable. 

I asked her to make an appointment for me on my whole headache problem. I am really hoping they won't just hand me a new bottle of pills for the third time. Clearly they aren't working, and I don't feel like being drousy all the time. If they rule out my mom's condition, I might slip in "Has anyone had success with using medical marijuana for headaches like mine?" Or something like that just to open up the topic. These headaches are miserable, and I really want them manageable.

One of the 10 patients in the normobaric group achieved significant relief of headache symptoms, while 9 of 10 in the hyperbaric group found relief. Based on a chi-square test, this difference is significant at the P < .005 level. Those patients who did not find significant relief from normobaric oxygen were given hyperbaric oxygen as above. All nine found significant relief. The results suggest that hyperbaric (but not normobaric) oxygen may be useful in the abortive management of migraine headache.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7775175

find out what is causing your headaches. and maybe ask a doctor about trying a hyperbaric chamber (a pressurized room w/ pure oxygen) for treating your aches. maybe it helps, maybe not. but its safer than most things, cant hurt to try...

I'll definitely look into this and ask the doctor when I go in.

I might slip in "Has anyone had success with using medical marijuana for headaches like mine?" Or something like that just to open up the topic. These headaches are miserable, and I really want them manageable.

Welcome to the site first off!

I hope you and your family find all the info in regards to MM here that can help sway your decision either way.

When you try to approach your Dr. with this question make sure you haven't tried Marijuana before. Just in case he drops you with a drug test, then who knows what will happen..

Good luck best wishes with your health in the future..

Trix

:bong2:

Welcome to the site first off!

I hope you and your family find all the info in regards to MM here that can help sway your decision either way.

When you try to approach your Dr. with this question make sure you haven't tried Marijuana before. Just in case he drops you with a drug test, then who knows what will happen..

Good luck best wishes with your health in the future..

Trix

:bong2:

I'll ask the Doc whenever I get in, and talk to my mom when she's away from my stepdad so I don't end up getting yelled at. Do step parents have to approve too?

Migraines are a qualifying condition, if indeed they find you are having migraines.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the MMMA :)

I wish I knew what a migraine is considered as! I just have a constant ache in my head all day. Most days it isn't terrible, but at points of the day it just hits.. Hard. Usually my headaches calm down a bit when it's quiet but now they are the same all the time.

you might find some other advice and info in these threads:

some other underage people getting headaches and looking for advice:http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/40967-medical-marijuana-for-chronic-daily-headache/http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/41848-is-it-right-for-me/

lots of people without recordshttp://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/30451-chronic-migranes-nausea-and-no-medical-record/http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/21338-no-insurance-need-card/http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/43225-my-situation-and-questions-about-qualification/

maybe theres just a lot of migrane sufferers around herehttp://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/35568-guidance-for-chronic-headaches/http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/42864-looking-for-some-assurance/http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/21783-severe-chronic-migraines/

Thank you for all of these posts! I will scroll through them all soon as see what I find

concentrate on prevention, your headache is a symptom, improper nutrition is at the root of many symptoms in our organ

I'll work on cleaning up my diet and see if that helps.

Does anyone know if an Iron deficiency can cause headaches? When I tried donating blood a month ago my levels of Hemoglobin were really low, so maybe that can contribute? I have Iron pills that I can take, but I really would rather just eat more foods with higher iron levels in them instead or having to take pills everyday,

That is probably the best part of trying for a card, If your dr. totaly isnt into it and you wind up getting a rec from a diff dr. you shouldnt have a problem finding another dr, In only a few yrs you will be responsible for your own dr. bills and be off of your parents coverage and onto obamacare, oh I cant believe I said that!

I lost my dr. of 12 yrs when I got my card, Im wishing I was half my age and id still be older than you!  so realy If I were you I wouldnt worry much about that,

The only problem I can see with your situation is.  If your mom or dad is not going to grow for you and you plan on getting it from one of your friends, you may be putting your c.g's/parents in some kind of underground risk!

You need to have the plants growing at their home and no one can know about it, No matter how many times you tell me your friends are kewl, If you tell 1 of them, your whole skewl will know, soooooo

Loose Lips Sink Ships!

Peace