Low Tech C02 Extraction

been toying with dry ice in a tamisium. I heat it up to around 115, and flip the unit over and pour the c02 through the bud disconnect, connect the hose, and reclaim the c02, every drop.  and collect the oil left behind. It's done under vacuum .  Its really fragrant, more so than normal, effective, clean and amber, but different. I've had super critical extraction with that 70k machine making it. really nice, but I compare its extract to very high grade wax, yellow, fluffy. My understanding is that the more pressure used by the machine the heavier your end product is, with more wax and other plant constituents, much like other extraction methods.

The higher pressure models are the larger ones, and lower pressure desk top models are smaller size, and produce a more amber looking honeycomb product, more aromatic than the big one, but lighter results.

anyway, this is working with the tamisium, and I cant yet tell if the effects are lacking. I also distill the hydrosols from cannabis(and other flowers), like for perfume making, and those wont get you "high" but taste great orally like in a tincture as an additive and even vaporized for no reason at all?  The result from my experiment are much more than the hydrosols, and the heady effects are immediate following the first dab, tincture spray. I think it might be low pressure c02 extraction?  the glass in the pic came from the strain in the pic from the tamisium, in the pic

I wish I owned the big extractor !

anyone else work with a tamisium this way?

• 3 months later...

Sounds like a neat idea..there is a guy that is making a low cost co2 unit somewhere online I have found, but if you read most of the input out there the best way to extract is still by using N-Butane and vacuum purging very well. I almost spent $40k on a supercritical co2 extractor but ended up buying a real nice BHOgart extractor instead. Neat idea though! Thanks for sharing.

I'm a fail with the c02 in this. Its crazy to think of a large unit the way our laws our written I think. Many people barely understand the "value" of pure oil I find. I used to do this with my overages and use the end as gifts to my patients. Now they get just more buds instead. hopefully laws will change soon. I loved me some 'erl fo sho!

turns out, I'd stick to the ntane also. the unit vac purges internally, with pressure gages and temps and weights monitored. For instance, if 400 grams of butane went in, then  400 grams of butane in the recovery stage is expected for a full recovery. introducing air pressure is effective for a faster recovery but not necessary. Reusing the tane is a win every time.

I have seen a lot of pictures of concentrates all around on the internet. I saw pictures of super critical CO2 extraction or at least that is where I saw it. I have never seen any oil like it. I don't know if that is good or bad. It is the only oil that I have ever seen to where the color does not change in regards to the quantity piled up. Why is that? Is something not in there or is there other reasons? Is what is not in there a good thing or a bad thing? Either way it is some really cool looking oil. I wish I had an opportunity to try it. I do have a feeling it looked better than what it was. Me personally, I am sticking with alcohol extractions unless I come across something that can outdo it. Lately I have been working with grain alcohol. I like to keep my stuff as natural as possible as long as it doesn't interfere with quality and potency. So far they seem to go well together.

grain alcohol is a good choice I think. I've sampled it, and was convinced it was better than iso, for me. I obviously prefer nbutane results, but it could be a dangerous or difficult process for some. Grain alcohol extractions are safer, and a little different, but in a good way.

I see there are "vapor bars" that actually nebulize spirits. I read a shot will keep a drunk busy for hours this way. The dangers involved(alcohol poisoning) are in direct relation to the amounts vaporized in short periods of time.(besides alcoholism, etc) Even in an eyeball alcohol removal there will be little to no grain alcohol remaining, which makes this the safest best tasting most attainable extraction to many discerning connoisseurs. I'd like to see it explored more to our community.

peace

Cool video.

The CO2 extraction I was referring to was with compressed gas. It looked like they had some kind of pump or compressor motor on the table. The oil that it produced was nothing like I have seen before.

I guess I missed the part in reference to dry ice as the CO2.

That is not a c02 extraction in the least. The dry ice only serves as a source of cold to freeze trichome heads so they will mechanically break off, and get caught by appropriate micron screen. Normal ice is also used to accomplish the same results.

It looks like they just used the dry ice to get the keif, and the 2nd one was just normal bubble hash, I loved watching that keif come out and fill the table, Im not real crazy about keif hash, for some reason I like the bubble hash (bags) better, but that is just my op,

I watched another video on there with the bho and grain alcohol extraction, (now the dabbits make sense to me lol) But If Im already using butane why would I put the extra step of alcohol and over nite freezing, im pos I can do the same with just a butane extract (and I do) and skip the grain alcohol, I love watching them video's I always take a lil something out of them that can make my way easier!

Peace

winterizing, or freezing with the grain alcohol, will further purify and concentrate your extraction. Amber Glass, the tip of the cool quotient, is had this way. A butane extraction would be called a "concrete" while a further refined one could be called an "absolute",with waxes and such removed.

winterizing, or freezing with the grain alcohol, will further purify and concentrate your extraction. Amber Glass, the tip of the cool quotient, is had this way. A butane extraction would be called a "concrete" while a further refined one could be called an "absolute",with waxes and such removed.

I thought that would be considered SAP. Have you heard the term SAP? What does it stand for?

One of the best pictures I have seen of a concentrate was called SAP.

That is not a c02 extraction in the least. The dry ice only serves as a source of cold to freeze trichome heads so they will mechanically break off, and get caught by appropriate micron screen. Normal ice is also used to accomplish the same results.

It is something that can help a lot of folks with overages and it's fun to do. Probably even legal right now since it is clearly plant matter.

definitely Resto !

I have a dry ice shaker, bubble bags, and some others too. From a legal prospective I have to suggest a dry sift through an appropriate micron screen. I don't like adding water to any dried finished plant material, so it works out well for me. my thread "essential tools" has the cheapest coolest shaker I've found, with great reviews.

nope, never heard of oil called SAP, but that don't mean nothing. I don't get out much...certainly seems reasonable though, describing the consistency. I'm sure someone has the clever acronim's  definition, or could make one up

I've heard people assign all kinds of different names to their end products trying to match some characteristic of it. Like garbage dumpster smelling marijuana,  seen oil green as hell, or black even in dispensaries and they always had some clever (excuse) name for the stuff. In class its called an extract, either concrete, or absolute. In slang -wax, oil, concentrate, budder, amber glass, shatter, are common. hippies call it hash oil. all the time.  I say oil or extract often. If  presented  as whipped or fluffed oil I call it wax. when purified further I would call it amber glass or shatter.  call it anything but scary, its the best way to medicate imo

I thought that would be considered SAP. Have you heard the term SAP? What does it stand for?

One of the best pictures I have seen of a concentrate was called SAP.

winterizing, or freezing with the grain alcohol, will further purify and concentrate your extraction. Amber Glass, the tip of the cool quotient, is had this way. A butane extraction would be called a "concrete" while a further refined one could be called an "absolute",with waxes and such removed. But Im with you Jim, I wouldnt do the extra work to make it better!

Well Thank You!

Peace

Sap is just when the oil is a little runnier vs shatter which is hard like candy and will snap when you bend it.....HJ

That makes sense going by the picture I saw. Thicker than oil, but not hard like shatter. So I assume SAP means really thick, in between oil and shatter, but yet, transparent.

This stuff was surely cleaned up. They had a nice camera too for taking close up shots. The picture looked like an ocean wave, beautiful transparent pinkish. Made me want to try it!

Thanks for the feedback guys!