Total Disability Not Acceptable For Reduced 25 Dollar Appl. Fee

did you call LARA and tell them its difficult for you to pay the fees?

maybe if they get enough people calling in they will look at it and fix it?

http://michigan.gov/mmp

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Program is administered by the Health Professions Licensing Division in the Bureau of Health Care Services within the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

Telephone Number: 517-373-0395

The discount is for "poor" people.

There are certain guidelines to determine if you are "poor" and would qualify. Obviously you are not "poor" by definition because I assume your SSDI payment and any other income is higher than the qualifying amount.

Discount not about disability,... about income only.

Now, I totally agree that disability should be a qualifier, but then you have disabled millionaires taking advantage of a discount meant for poor people.(republican speak).

So, yea,... bummer, but consider it is actually only $50/yr instead of $100/yr now. :-).

The first yr I got the discount, I only had to send a copy of my medicair card, after that and how long it took, I just payed the 100 so I didnt have to sit around and wonder if I was going to get my card before mine expired, they make it pretty clear that you can get it with your mi adult health and food stamp eligability paper work, I dont bother with it!

For one thing, my normal paranoia thinks they look into my app alot closer if I try to get the discount (that is in my mind) like said above, just consider it 50 a yr now, and we dont have to do it every yr any longer!

Peace

State of Mich sucks.

Maybe you should move to a neighbor state.  Then come back and tell us how that went. 

Myself, I recognize that a $100 Dr. fee and a $100  application - for a total of $200 to be able to grow your own for 2 YEARS is really a pretty good deal.  Maybe you had a better deal last year.  If so, tell us about that deal, as we'd all like to find a way to trim costs.

Well, for people on fixed incomes even $100/yr can make a difference.

The income guidelines are very harsh and should likely be higher, but it is what it is.  They not only expect you to be poor,... they expect you to be pisss poor. ;-)

I feel as though anyone on medicare, Medicaid, SS, SSDI, SSI, TANF, etc should get the discount rate. :-)  I mean the program has run at a several million dollar a year surplus(which the sheriffs now get), we could afford to spread the discount around or just cut fee's to $50 for everyone or sumtin. :-)

I feel as though anyone on medicare, Medicaid, SS, SSDI, SSI, TANF, etc should get the discount rate. :-) 

I agree with that.  But this isn't written onto the law....But we the people think our government should stay within the bounds that we the people outlined.  And so we find ourselves in a dilemma...because we don't want gov. officials reading too much into/beyond the confines of the law yet we also want them to skirt around the law and make some unfounded decision that  some patient should get a reduced fee even if he doesn't qualify for it under the current law?  So where does this end?  We want the social service folks to wink and nod?  So we want them to step around the law in one matter but hammer down in another?  It just doesn't work. 

Well MDCH and LARA both knew they were allowing discounted rates to people that didn't necessarily fit into the "poor" category of what constitutes State discounts and aid.  But they decided to just allow it for a few years.  Then a new Sheriff came to town and here we are. best be pisss poor to get a discount. BUT, we also managed to keep the $100 reg. fee while extending the cards to 2 year validity thus giving even the non-discount patients a 50% cut in their fee's.

So basicly, there is a group of people(SS, SSDI) that make between like $12,000- $28,000 that kinda get screwed over and now pay $50/yr instead of $25.

As of June, the discount is only for those people receiving medical funding from the state, not those receiving federal funds. But heck, I know of more poor people on SSDI/Medicare than I do on SSI/Medicaid. Those on SSDI don't always receive SNAP!

The policy needs to step back and allow the discount to those receiving fed as well as state benefits. A person who receives SSDI has proven that they have a long-term medical issue, the 1099 shows the income.  The state could allow those receiving SSDI at 130% poverty level (24,900 annual or less for one person) the discount.

Edited by Ms Chocolate

Many on SSDI receive SNAP benefits.

You can qualify for both Medicare/Medicaid and SSDI/SSI.

It is income dependent.

If you make too little on SSDI(say$400/month),  SSI(if income/wealth conditions met) makes up the difference to reach the minimum income of SSI(2013=$710).  But, you still have to pay for your medicare insurance if you qualify. although sometimes SSI will cover the cost.  Yea,... most people do not realize you actually pay monthly premium for Medicare insurance. :-)

Im qualified for ssi and ssdi, I get medicair and medicaid, medicaid pays my medicare so the 105 bucks is not taken out of my ssdi check, but medicair is my main health plan with medicaid as my back up, we actualy do have a spend down still they just call it some thing different, medicaid is/was a much better health benny than medicare I had no copays on medicaid, now I have co-pays with medicare as my main benifit!

If you are on ssdi and are making under the poverty level it will be worth your time to talk to dhs you will get help, dont expect alot of food stamps if your single, I get like 12 bucks, i let it build up for a yr and go get a few steaks lol!  but the 105 dollars they save me in medicair costs realy does add up, they save me 1260 bucks a yr that goes into the house hold instead of my medical costs, I also have my auto ins that pays for anything to do with my disabilitys, dr.'s and rx's for the rest of my life, so I may be better off than some, but I would much rather be working!

Peace

Many on SSDI receive SNAP benefits.

You can qualify for both Medicare/Medicaid and SSDI/SSI.

It is income dependent.

If you make too little on SSDI(say$400/month),  SSI(if income/wealth conditions met) makes up the difference to reach the minimum income of SSI(2013=$710).  But, you still have to pay for your medicare insurance if you qualify. although sometimes SSI will cover the cost.  Yea,... most people do not realize you actually pay monthly premium for Medicare insurance. :-)

Currently mine is $96.50 monthy on ssdi.  Nothing for free, nothing free.

I also have a Dr., dentist & an rx co-pay.

Currently mine is $96.50 monthy on ssdi.  Nothing for free, nothing free.

I also have a Dr., dentist & an rx co-pay.

have you talked to dhs? I cant beleive they dont cover your medicair costs! (you know I believe you) maybe after the holidays it may not be a bad idea to talk to your case worker if you have one, and see if they can help you with your medicair cost, 96 bucks a month would help you with a bill or 2, or a sack, or nutes, etc!

Happy New Year!

Peace

Thank you for your concern Jim, I appreciate it for sure.

After not having to pay one cent for any of my hospitalizations, surgeries or other procedures I feel

pretty blessed it is only $96.50, honest. I have another operation to be scheduled for 2014, I won't be

billed for either.  I will pay my insurance, gladly :) I figure my health is way worth it.

Heck, my auto insurance is more than that monthly and you see what I drive!!! I have a pretty clean

driving record too. 

I get $25.00 in foodstamps. My rent increased $50 mo. in Nov.  Starting Jan. I get a $13 col

increase monthly.  I don't know how they do their equasions.  I think I may be getting the short end! LOL

Edited by imiubu

I've checked the Medicaid and Medicare web sites. I will be making some visits come the New Year.

Yes! They have a list of what they cover + a list of yearly tests etc, that you can (and should imo) have. 

I get a reminder each year telling me of certain benefits that I have not taken advantage of.  I find

that very helpful.