Record Revenues, Falling Enrollment For Michigan Medical Marijuana

The annual report on Michigan’s Medical Marihuana Program (MMP) for fiscal year 2013 revealed a new record for registration fees collected: $10,897, 580.61. This represents a $1 million increase from the revenue generated in FY 2012, which was $9,896,239.

The annual report, which is required by law to be complete and distributed to certain governmental agencies by January 1, was compiled by the Bureau of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA). The MMP only accepts fees in $100 and $25 increments, inspiring conjecture as to the origination of the 61 cents in a statistic that is exclusively

composed of “medical marihuana program application and renewal fees authorized in section 5 of the Michigan medical marihuana act.”

READ THE REPORT: Fiscal Year 2013 MM statistics

The report lists 63,628 renewal applications and 70,262 new applications for medical marijuana registry identification cards received during FY 2013. Those numbers include both patient applications and caregiver applications and they total 133,890; in a companion report, issued December 4, the actual number of patients and caregivers registered in Michigan is 145,414.

These numbers represent a decline in registrations for both patients and caregivers from FY 2012. During that fiscal year 124,131 patients were registered with the state; the current report lists 118,368, representing a 4.6% reduction.

Caregiver numbers declined far more sharply, dropping from 50,188 in FY 2012 to 27,046; that reflects a whopping 46% drop in registrants licensed to grow medicinal marijuana for someone other than themselves.

The number of physicians writing recommendations for medical marijuana use in Michigan has dwindled from 1,928 in FY 2012 to 1,457 in the latest report, a 24% drop.

The number of participants statewide could increase in FY 2014 but the MMP revenue will not increase.

A law, passed by the legislature in 2012 and signed by Governor Snyder in 2013, made each application received after April 1 valid for a two year period. This will essentially halve that $10.9 million annual revenue and should result in a corresponding decrease in the expense of operating the MMP, which is listed at slightly over $4 million.

Although the MMP has been up and running for nearly five years, efficiency in the operation of the program is still sketchy.

19.9% of renewal applications and 21.5% of initial applications were not processed within the 15 day period required by law. The issuance of medical marijuana cards, which has been a huge stumbling block for the MMP, is reported to be far more efficient: only 8% of renewal and 5.6% of new cards were not issued within appropriate time periods.

The report has changed format from that used in previous years. The MMP is no longer reporting the number of minors licensed to use medical marijuana and the statistical reporting on the medical conditions of registered patients has been altered to reflect percentages of registrants instead of actual numerical data. The new report was created by Bureau of Health Care Services Director Carole H. Engle under the direction of Steve Arwood, Director of LARA.

Arwood is famous for his 2013 decision rescinding the discounted registration fee for disabled individuals that had been a part of the program for four years.

Standard registration fees are $100; the discounted registration fee of $25 is available to those that qualify as a financial hardship. National marijuana rights organization

Americans for Safe Access issued a letter to Arwood and Governor Rick Snyder in opposition to this move, which was supported by numerous organizations in Michigan and nationwide.

Source: TheCompassionChronicles.Com

Edited by bobandtorey

he forgot about the $10 change fee :P

i think the patient numbers fluctuate because of expiration dates. 

also its possible that the increase in price for individuals on disability has caused a few of them to drop out.

its also just possible that people signed up, and found out it wasnt for them. who knows.

could be that bill schuette and his cronies prosecuted and jailed a couple thousand people or got them on probation and the judges wont let them use mmj.

T did a great job posting his  for sure

Why do you feel the medical recs. don't work in court ?

Some do, but for others they can't seem to get a Dr. to stand behind their certificate they wrote.

After all, prong 1) "A Dr. Has stated", a Dr should'nt have to come to court if he has already, "Stated in his professional opinion"

I know not many people care to listen to the provisioning center bill, but just for example, if the courts continue this sort of logic, then if a patient or Cg do have "Overages" ( I harvested 2.5oz but I keep a documented log of the type of cannabis and dosage, technique etc, very detailed for example, and only use 1oz a month, then.. the provisioning centers bill will allow a patient and Cg to make $.).. The courts are already attacking patients that have to prove they use X amount a week and harvest X amount a month, then how will someone defend themselves in a court of law? I think if the senate does pass the bil, then this will open up alot of new fights in court.. I don't know, it's just insane. 

O yea, I forgot this is about making money... -_-

The numbers always fluctuate. No biggie. It just seems there is a plateau finally being reached after 5 years of the program.  We are seeing the general zone in which total numbers of patients will be.

The market is settling and the number of caregivers realizing this isn't a money making venture only, have filtered off and the number of patients needing caregivers has balanced.

It just seems there is a plateau finally being reached after 5 years of the program.  We are seeing the general zone in which total numbers of patients will be.

The market is settling and the number of caregivers realizing this isn't a money making venture only, have filtered off and the number of patients needing caregivers has balanced.

I agree. When the program first started there seemed to be a general perception that one could now legally grow and sell with impunity.

I don't know how many times I heard, "All you have to do is pay a quack $100 for license, grow 12 plants and then sell it at work in the factory."

Those folks are mostly gone now. Although I do miss seeing the deer in the headlights look they gave you when you explained how it really worked. Usually after they had just spent $2000 for equipment.

Deer-in-Headlights_800.jpg

Very true, So many people have forgot what compassion is when all they want is $$$.. When and if the provisioning centers open, it will be about bottom prices and quality medicine for those who need it. it's strictly about the patients, those who prefer a healthier life-style.

Back to the topic though, I think some have not cared if their card expires, once they buy equipment to grow there own, they don't think they need protection, "I won't get caught" attitude.. perhaps that's where a few of them have gone. 

because the protections for section 4 apply if you have a MMMP card, valid or not.

at least, thats the theory? 

sec4 says it wants a valid photo id, but the registry card doesnt say valid anywhere in there? heh.

i'm sure the courts will say some moo poo about the cards expiring which means they arent valid if expired.

but the law itself doesnt say anything about non-expired cards.

i wouldnt rely on it.

(e) The department shall issue registry identification cards within 5 business days of approving an application or renewal, which shall expire 2 years after the date of issuance.

am curious what LARA verifies cards as in LEIN vs expired or non expired?

(3) The department shall verify to law enforcement personnel whether a registry identification card is valid, without disclosing more information than is reasonably necessary to verify the authenticity of the registry identification card.

is expired still valid? hmmmmm

Edited by t-pain

When the Supreme Court said in a ruling, that a patient need not have a card to be protected, as long as they have the Dr. rec,....

Well of course that would make some think, "Hey, why pay $100 and have your name on a list somewhere..."

All those people didn't renew. Then add in the people who are slowly learning to grow themselves and dumped their caregiver. That would probably cover the drop in caregiver applicants.

We all know there are many more people growing medically than the State numbers. Probably anywhere from 3 to 10 times more, I would guess.

In reviewing the monthly Drug Court sentencing reports in our local small town newspaper for the past five years there are some other factors that may be at work to explain a drop in renewals, namely roughly a fifty-percent drop in arrests and a reduced length of sentencing for those unfortunate enough to be caught.

There has also been a significant increase in arrests for harder drugs, namely heroin, mostly in the poorer neighborhoods. This increase is possibly due to reallocation of the arrest and punishment industry's focus.

because the protections for section 4 apply if you have a MMMP card, valid or not.

at least, thats the theory? 

sec4 says it wants a valid photo id, but the registry card doesnt say valid anywhere in there? heh.

i'm sure the courts will say some moo poo about the cards expiring which means they arent valid if expired.

but the law itself doesnt say anything about non-expired cards.

i wouldnt rely on it.

(e) The department shall issue registry identification cards within 5 business days of approving an application or renewal, which shall expire 2 years after the date of issuance.

am curious what LARA verifies cards as in LEIN vs expired or non expired?

(3) The department shall verify to law enforcement personnel whether a registry identification card is valid, without disclosing more information than is reasonably necessary to verify the authenticity of the registry identification card.

is expired still valid? hmmmmm

That is one of them wishing a law to be there!  when your card expires you are no longer protected under section 4, now if a card expires and you only have the paper work, cashed check,deliver,etc you are still a pt or c.g unless you get a denial letter!

Why do people think if it isnt in the law it must be legal?  sorry but at this time the safest way to be is to follow the law as written, It is very easy to read, if you have a question about legality in the law, you should be able to get your answer at the lara site, if not you can write them, if you seek an attny's advise on something not clearly in the law, Its my beleif most would say oh yea your covered, but if you get hassled I can get you out of it!!  Why would any one who is a qualified registered pt and or c.g want to take risk's, supposedly is we follow the law as written we wont be prosecuted!  Yes I know many are getting popped and they didnt do anything wrong! (that is total b.s)  if you dont want to register dont,  I have much respect for c.g's and pt growers, it is not easy to get a great quality and the amount needed for all you are charged with covering, any one can plant a seed and watch it grow, but is it gonna be anything that will help you with your disabilitys?

I know people who were growing before the law (me too) but totaly dont trust the program and never did get into the program, and they dont have pts they have clients who are willing to pay for what they are getting! besides growing and selling it ilegal they are probably more compfy then those of us who went leggit, Im totaly not in this for any kind of money, well I will correct that, I am in this to hopefully save money and have medical quality mj and be totaly in charge of what im getting and what it is grown with or not grown with!

I like the idea about despenses and supply center better than the pharmacy, but only if the bill basicly remains good for pt's and c.g's, I like the idea of getting some cash for overages and giving pts a better deal who are connected to me, It would be a bonus compared to how I have it now, when equipent needs replacing, bulbs, ballasts, fans, pumps, nutes,etc,  It would be great to have a despense,farm market or supply center to make some of our cash back that we have into it, not to mention time!

Peace

it would be nice if someone called LARA and asked them about expired cards and being protected under sec4.

but lara wont give legal advice so you cant ask them.

neither will a prosecutor. maybe a cop will. good luck with that.

still, someone call lara up and see what they say. they administer the program after all.....