Section 8 Defense - People V Redden I Believe Is The Case That Applies

I have no ill will toward Bob.

I know that GregS

nor i ever did think anything like it and is why i stay here i like the MMMA as much as anyone sure i have other forms/Site i go to mostly site for Audio no talking about Cannabis  and i understand there may be a Age difference their the younger ones take about how great Digital is and us older ones talk about the real sound is Analog has been that way for many years 

Two different ways of looking at all things ® 

JKAJR , as long as you have that dr rec, a section 8 will clear you of a posession charge.

just dont take the plea deal. ever.

your lawyer will have to file a pre-trial motion to dismiss under section 8.

here is the template of the motion to dismiss under section8. give it to your lawyer if he is not well versed on mmma cases.

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/ccs_files/downloads/ModelMOTIONTODISMISS.pdf

curious what road you were on, was it 7mile or middlebelt or plymouth? the police are on permanent duty on the 'walmart roads'. there was also someone who got popped turning left into the grow store at 7/mbelt , they got him on illegal left turn but found a pipe , he got off with a lawyer helping him.

Sadly, a Dr. rec. might not get him very far.  A signed form is merely hearsay.  So he might need the Dr. to show up in court. 

Good example of two things:  #1 just do your F'in paperwork and, if you don't  #2 At least see a Dr. willing to testify.

Edited by Highlander

I know that GregS

nor i ever did think anything like it and is why i stay here i like the MMMA as much as anyone sure i have other forms/Site i go to mostly site for Audio no talking about Cannabis  and i understand there may be a Age difference their the younger ones take about how great Digital is and us older ones talk about the real sound is Analog has been that way for many years 

Two different ways of looking at all things ® 

There is no replacing my first acid trip listening to Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation on a turntable before digital was an itch in analogue's pants.

Sadly, a Dr. rec. might not get him very far.  A signed form is merely hearsay.  So he might need the Dr. to show up in court. 

Good example of two things:  #1 just do your F'in paperwork and, if you don't  #2 At least see a Dr. willing to testify.

It would be argued by the defense that it is allowable hearsay, for instance under the business records exemption. There are a few evidentiary rules that might very well allow it.

http://courts.mi.gov/Courts/MichiganSupremeCourt/CurrentCourtRules/2MichiganRulesOfEvidence.pdf    See 803.6.

Records of regularly conducted activity.
A memorandum, report, record, or data
compilation, in any form, of acts, transactions, occurrences, events, conditions,
opinions, or diagnoses, made at or near the time by, or from information
transmitted by, a person with knowledge, if kept in the course of a regularly
conducted business activity, and if it was the regular practice of that business
activity to make the memorandum, report, record, or data compilation, all as shown
by the testimony of the custodian or other qualified witness, or by certification that
complies with a rule promulgated by the supreme court or a statute permitting
certification, unless the source of information or the method or circumstances of
preparation indicate la
ck of trustworthiness. The term "business" as used in this
paragraph includes business, institution, association, profession, occupation, and
calling of every kind, whether or not conducted for profit.
Edited by GregS

It would be argued by the defense that it is allowable hearsay, for instance under the business records exemption. There are a few evidentiary rules that might very well allow it.

http://courts.mi.gov/Courts/MichiganSupremeCourt/CurrentCourtRules/2MichiganRulesOfEvidence.pdf    See 803.6.

Records of regularly conducted activity.
A memorandum, report, record, or data
compilation, in any form, of acts, transactions, occurrences, events, conditions,
opinions, or diagnoses, made at or near the time by, or from information
transmitted by, a person with knowledge, if kept in the course of a regularly
conducted business activity, and if it was the regular practice of that business
activity to make the memorandum, report, record, or data compilation, all as shown
by the testimony of the custodian or other qualified witness, or by certification that
complies with a rule promulgated by the supreme court or a statute permitting
certification, unless the source of information or the method or circumstances of
preparation indicate la
ck of trustworthiness. The term "business" as used in this
paragraph includes business, institution, association, profession, occupation, and
calling of every kind, whether or not conducted for profit.

"as shown by the testimony of the custodian or other qualified witness"

Who is that? 

Does this require that the Dr. testify in court? 

Not always. A corrupt judge and/or prosecutor can make things difficult and require that by disallowing the document(s). If the rules of evidenced are used fairly there would be little problem. We know, however, that is not always the case. It is best to avoid any oral testimony. You might remember the agreement and supporting documents that I offered for consideration. Because those require notarization, there is an evidentiary rule to allow them because they have been.

Edited by GregS

Bottom line is if the State can accept the signed recommendation as proof of qualification to issue the ALMIGHTY CARD......... Then why can't or won't the COURT or better yet PROSECUTOR AND LEO?  The answer is simple Corruption and unwillingness to accept and implement the LAW............

Edited to add that yes in that area they may want the DR. to testify. Should not be that way but seems it is.... Rule of thumb is make sure the Dr that signs your Rec. will be available for court testimony. Hopefully your Dr. will not be required to be there but will if need be. You should have a classic Section 8. May even be able to help define this whole idiotic medibles ruling.

Good luck and good health........

Edited by ozzrokk

Not always. A corrupt judge and/or prosecutor can make things difficult and require that by disallowing the document(s). If the rules of evidenced are used fairly there would be little problem. We know, however, that is not always the case. It is best to avoid any oral testimony. You might remember the agreement and supporting documents that I offered for consideration. Because those require notarization, there is an evidentiary rule to allow them because they have been.

Is a non-notarized document hearsay, and a notarized one not hearsay?  I'm not being facetious - I just don't know. 

Is a non-notarized document hearsay, and a notarized one not hearsay?  I'm not being facetious - I just don't know. 

They are both hearsay, which is defined in those rules of evidence as, "a statement, other than the one made by the declarant

while testifying at the trial or hearing, offered in evidence to prove the truth of the matter asserted." IOW anyhing and everything that can be entered without a witesss being present. Notarized statements should rightly be allowed under Rule 902 as a "Self Authenticating Document":

Extrinsic evidence of authenticity as a condition precedent to admissibility is not
required with respect t
o the following:
(1)
Domestic public documents under seal.
A document bearing a seal purporting to
be that of the United States, or of any state, district, commonwealth, territory, or
insular possession thereof, or the Panama Canal Zone, or the Trust Territory of the
Pacific Islands, or of a political subdivision, department, officer, or agency thereof,
and a signature purporting to be an attestation or execution.
(2)
Domestic public documents not under seal.
A document purporting to bear the
signature in the official capacity of an officer or employee of any entity included in
paragraph (1) hereof, having no seal, if a public officer having a seal and having
official duties in the district or political subdivision of the officer or employee
certifies under seal that the signer has the official capacity and that the signature is
genuine.
(3)
Foreign public documents.
A document purporting to be executed or attested in
an official capacity by a person authorized by the laws of a foreign country to make
the exe
cution or attestation, and accompanied by a final certification as to the
genuineness of the signature and official position (A) of the executing or attesting
person, or (B) of any foreign official whose certificate of genuineness of signature
and official
position relates to the execution or attestation or is in a chain of
certificates of genuineness of signature and official position relating to the
execution or attestation. A final certification may be made by a secretary of
embassy or legation, consul general, consul, vice consul, or consular agent of the
United States, or a diplomatic or consular official of the foreign country assigned or
accredited to the United States. If reasonable opportunity has been given to all
parties to investigate the authenticity and accuracy of official documents, the court
may, for good cause shown, order that they be treated as presumptively authentic
without final certification or permit them to be evidenced by an attested summary
with or without final certification.
(4)
Certified copies of public records.
A copy of an official record or report or entry
therein, or of a document authorized by law to be recorded or filed and actually
Michigan Rules of Evidence
Last Updated
1/3/2012
recorded or filed in a public office, including data compilations in any form, certified
as
correct by the custodian or other person authorized to make the certification, by
certificate complying with paragraph (1), (2), or (3) or complying with any law of
the United States or of this state.
(5)
Official publications.
Books, pamphlets, or other publications purporting to be
issued by public authority.
(6)
Newspapers and periodicals.
Printed materials purporting to be newspapers or
periodicals.
(7)
Trade inscriptions and the like.
Inscriptions, signs, tags, or labels purporting to
have been affixed in the course of business and indicating ownership, control, or
origin.
(8)
Acknowledged documents.
Documents accompanied by a certificate of
acknowledgment executed in the manner provided by law by a notary public or
other officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments.
(9)
Commercial paper and related documents.
Commercial paper, signatures
thereon, and documents relating thereto to the extent provided by general
commercial law.
(10)
Presumptions created by law.
Any signature, document, or other matt
er
declared by any law of the United States or of this state to be presumptively or
prima facie genuine or authentic.
(11)
Certified records of regularly conducted activity.
The original or a duplicate of
a record, whether domestic or foreign, of regularly
conducted business activity that
would be admissible under rule 803(6), if accompanied by a written declaration
under oath by its custodian or other qualified person certifying that
(A) The record was made at or near the time of the occurrence of the mat
ters
set forth by, or from information transmitted by, a person with knowledge of
those matters;
(B) The record was kept in the course of the regularly conducted business
activity; and
© It was the regular practice of the business activity to make the re
cord.
A party intending to offer a record into evidence under this paragraph must
provide written notice of that intention to all adverse parties, and must make
the record and declaration available for inspection sufficiently in advance of
their offer into
evidence to provide an adverse party with a fair opportunity to
challenge them.

Rule 901 explains many details and can be found at the link:  http://courts.mi.gov/Courts/MichiganSupremeCourt/CurrentCourtRules/2MichiganRulesOfEvidence.pdf

Prosecutors and defense attorneys argue the merits of their case. The judge, who is in all ways superior to all others in court makes the decision whether or not to allow hearsay as "allowable hearsay" under the rules. Any number of facts or attitudes can play into the determination, and it is not uncommon to see an agenda at work that precludes a judge from adjudicating according to those rules, but rather out of personal bias or garden variety dumbassness.

Bottom line is if the State can accept the signed recommendation as proof of qualification to issue the ALMIGHTY CARD......... Then why can't or won't the COURT or better yet PROSECUTOR AND LEO?  The answer is simple Corruption and unwillingness to accept and implement the LAW............

Edited to add that yes in that area they may want the DR. to testify. Should not be that way but seems it is.... Rule of thumb is make sure the Dr that signs your Rec. will be available for court testimony. Hopefully your Dr. will not be required to be there but will if need be. You should have a classic Section 8. May even be able to help define this whole idiotic medibles ruling.

Good luck and good health........

Thanks ozz. That is a most pertinent point. The law clearly says that the courts can allow signed documents as allowable hearsay and intends that. The rules require that they be considered fairly. What is not required is that judges make their decisions based on those rules. They answer to no one until and unless they can be shown to have done something egregious enough to require cesure by the legislature or the Judicial Review Panel in Lasing. Your chances are better you will win the Powerball by yourself. The Review Panel does censure and remove judges, It does't happen real often and is not widely spoken of.

Edited by GregS

I agree Mr. KD but will add some other County's as well too many to list 

Do you think it will change how the counties feel if the 2 Bill's pass  and become Law as they are written ?

No not one bit the county's and city's that are anti cannabis medical or recreational currently will still find ways to undermine the law to suit their beliefs even if this comes to fruition which I don't have much faith in becoming reality depending on the feds to buckle and admit that they fought a long battle vs cannabis for 40 + years for nothing just isn't going to be easy .

Prosecutors and defense attorneys argue the merits of their case. The judge, who is in all ways superior to all others in court makes the decision whether or not to allow hearsay as "allowable hearsay" under the rules. Any number of facts or attitudes can play into the determination, and it is not uncommon to see an agenda at work that precludes a judge from adjudicating according to those rules, but rather out of personal bias or garden variety dumbassness.

I do a lot of writing and am always on the lookout for a new adjective.  I am going to shamelessly steal this from you.  It is genius. 

I went to see the Dr. that certified me last year.  I wanted to continue the Dr./Patient relationship and get a current recommendation (that I'm going to mail in with some $$).  Thanks to you all for your support. 

I was just reading Dearborn's appeal in people v Navoy.  It seems to me if the District Court shoots down my Affirmative Defense under section 8.  My next step will be to attempt to disqualify him..imo

Can any one think of any other steps to bind up the docket and affirm to these jokers that I won't roll. 

It seems y'all are my only friends in the world at the moment.  Baby's Mamma is using this against me.  Bob just reminded me of the time she gave him the bums rush rush from our home when she came home to find him and I medicating...it was sort of funny at the time.

if the judge denies your section8 motion, the supreme court has said you have to file an intermediate appeal on that. (that means as soon as he denies it, file an appeal to challenge his denial). i think this info is in people v king. whichever case detailed the 3 prongs.

of course , that will probably stick you in the coa, so be prepared to appeal to msc after that.

Edited by t-pain

You might make noise with the Judicial Tenure Commission (http://jtc.courts.mi.gov/). You will find instructions for filing your grievance. If the judge's statements are on the record you may have a better than even chance in my considerable and freakishly optimistic opinion. Now THAT would be entertainment.

Edited by GregS