Neighbor Of A Mm Grower--Can Smell Be Controlled?

crankyoldfart

Hi folks -- first time poster.

My 74 year old mom lives next door to a grower.  She is not on friendly or unfriendly terms with the grower, and is a little afraid of him.  I live out of state, but visited her over christmas.  The first thing i noticed when i got out of my car was how bad it smelled outside.  Had no idea what it was, but it smelled like skunk.  A few days later my mom told me that it was the exhaust from the neighbor's grow operation.  We don't smoke, but we don't have any problem whatsoever with people's right to smoke, recreationally or for medical purposes.  My concern is how horrible it smells on my mom's property, and how it is going to damage if not completely prevent her from selling her house as she plans to this spring.

We know NOTHING about marijuana, growing, or the MM law.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we kight handle this?  Don't neccessarily want to get authorities involved, and don't know if they would do anything anyway.  The grow operation is apparently in the basement, with a vent directed at my mom's house.  Don't neccessarily want to engage the grower either, and i assume he's got his setup the way he does for a reason.  Based on perusing the forums here, it looks like you are allowed to grow 12 plants.  Would 12 plants generate that much stink.  At least now I know why its called skunk weed.   

any thoughts or ideas appreciated.  completely uncharted territory for me and my family.

go and talk to the guy. ask him to put a filter on it.

if shes planning to sell the house, i mean, offering to buy the guy a $100 filter isnt much. i'm not saying its right or thats what you should do, but its an option. a very cheap option. if he wont buy one himself. he probably will buy one if you ask him.

maybe he just has actual skunks in his basement, you dont know :D

Edited by t-pain

well he may be a c.g and have more than 12 plants, I would go introduce your self, be nice like you would to any one else after all they are just people also, and probably sick people or at least good people helping sick people, I am sure you and your mothers neighbor could come up with a way to fix the smell problem,

You may want to start out with I smell and you stink bawahahahahahaha!

you need to explain that your mom is selling in the spring and is there any way we can come to an agreement to take care of the smell around here, you say dont get me wrong it smells good but the people looking at the home may not like it,

The grower can filter the smell out of there, with charcoal filters and even a dif spot to exhaust, but the filters should be good enough, now you may want to offer to help pay for the filters if they dont have them, that is a great start, just be honest and friendly and non accusing, I know if I had a neighbor and they were smelling my grow, I would be happy if some one friendly told me about it and or asked if anything can be done, they may not smell it, they are use to it!

Best of Luck

Peace

local grow store, or amazon, spend what you can afford. at least a 2-3 foot tall charcoal filter, with a six inch inlet would be great. wish my neighbor bought mine too !! lol  I run four new ones every other year.

wow - you guys are great- very fast responses -- is a 3' 6" "stink sock" a filter?  Could we just buy him a filter and it would work? or do we need specs or dimmensions.

As I said in original post - we have no problem with MM or RecM, but i had no idea it smelled so bad.  I assume the smoking of it is not as nasty

My sense of the neighbor is that he is not really a concientious, progressive thinking grower/user.  This is just based on the way they mistreated a dog that suddenly disapeared after six months of being tethered to a short rope and ignored in the back yard, and the domestic squabbles that occur rather frequently.  Domestic squabbles happen, but the dog situation was really unnerving and sad. 

Awesome advice people -- thank you -- I think $$ wise i might want to start with the Pine trees.  If that doesn't work, perhaps offer to help pay for a filter.  But its good to know that this is a "real" problem. I called myself "crankyoldfart" here because i feel like a "get off my lawn" type a-hole.  Just glad to know other people think it smells too, and that there are solutions to the problem.  It makes me feel like if we do approach him, it won't be because we are being unreasonable.

Why in gods name would anyone buy this guy anything?

It is his /her responsibility to control the stink I was running my hoods in from one window out another to benefit from the cold temps but was still getting a really bad cat tinkle stink around the yard so now im exhausting directly into my veg room just because im legal doesn't mean im going to crap in others faces id be open to buy them one if they were poor but it could just be someone who doesn't give a darn .

Just from reading this board today, i get the sense that ther are a lot of really considerate, responsible people engaged in growing.  As an outsider, it also looks extremely complicated and that it takes a lot of money and effort.  I don't think my mom's neighbor is one of those responsible type people.  I'd just like to help her solve the problem, and this forum has given me a great start. 

or you could get some signs up in his yard, real early in the morning, before his pothead self wakes up.

on the sign , something like "peee-yeew, sure smells like a skunk around here, maybe its time to buy a filter?".

Haha the sign idea sounds the best I would get a kick out of that if my neighbors did tthat. Or even let me know if the block stinks because of me. I'd rather a neighbor knock at the door then a officer.

Hello crankyoldfart and welcome to the 3MA!

Awesome that you came to ask the community our opinions, takes a bit of courage :)

You don't sound cranky to me at all, you sound like a very reasonable lady actually,

who's greatest concern is for the health and well being of your mother.

The dog thing really has me concerned as to how well received a neighborly visit might be.

Anyone that can willfully treat an animal like that probably doesn't have much respect for

themselves or anyone else (domestic squabbles) including and maybe especially neighbors.

We choose our battles and hopefully we choose wisely.

You said you live out of state and that leaves your mother there next door to contend with

what ever may ensue if a friendly neighbor visit goes poorly.

Myself, I would pay the cost of a filter as mentioned above with a nice friendly note, maybe

from 'a concerned neighbor about smell issues'.

The sign idea, although funny may be taken offensively + it would draw unwanted attention

from the rest of the neighborhood, imho.

Best of luck to you and please, let us know what you decided to do and how it all comes out!