Neighbor Of A Mm Grower--Can Smell Be Controlled?

crankyoldfart

well he may be a c.g and have more than 12 plants, I would go introduce your self, be nice like you would to any one else after all they are just people also, and probably sick people or at least good people helping sick people, I am sure you and your mothers neighbor could come up with a way to fix the smell problem,

You may want to start out with I smell and you stink bawahahahahahaha!

you need to explain that your mom is selling in the spring and is there any way we can come to an agreement to take care of the smell around here, you say dont get me wrong it smells good but the people looking at the home may not like it,

The grower can filter the smell out of there, with charcoal filters and even a dif spot to exhaust, but the filters should be good enough, now you may want to offer to help pay for the filters if they dont have them, that is a great start, just be honest and friendly and non accusing, I know if I had a neighbor and they were smelling my grow, I would be happy if some one friendly told me about it and or asked if anything can be done, they may not smell it, they are use to it!

Best of Luck

Peace

Very good Post there Jim i wish i lived next to you

I'm with Kingdiamond on this. I think the first step in any problem like this is to have a friendly talk with the neighbor and see how it goes. Even if they don't look like the greatest people, they're not going to bite you. If it goes well, problem solved. If not, then a warning that if they don't take care of the smell that there would be no choice but to call the authorities. Since this is about mj, I would think that they would have a strong incentive to stay secretive. No one wants to call city hall or the cops, especially about mj, but what other option is there if they don't comply? I think that if they can afford to grow, they can afford a filter. ONLY if they are willing, but literally can't afford a filter would I offer to buy one for them... and that's if I was feeling generous and they weren't jerks. Don't make their problem your problem. 

I appreciate all the ideas -- like I said earlier -- my mom and I know nothing about growing so its great to know that there are products designed to address the problem.  She's just downsizing, the neighborhood is fine, this neighbor seems to be the odd duck,.  She was a little hesitant to approach him but now that we know there are ways to fix the problem, I think we'll find a way to bring it up and try to resolve it.  I jumped the gun and assumed, based on the smell, that this guy was operating a huge business, but one poster said that even 12 plants can stink up an area, so that is really useful to know, and it helps me to believe he's legit -- and if he's legit, he may be more responsive to a suggestion (heck, I guess if he weren't legit maybe he'd be even more responsive!).  Don't want to interfere with his life anymore than necessary, Yes imubu, the dog thing was really, really upsetting.

welcome to the forums..

excellent advice and feedback - thank you everyone :)

in  my case i approached my neighbors and after getting to know them i explained that if they ever have any questions or concerns about me or my activities to please just ask me... and that includes people visiting.. burning leaves.. music volume.. anything..

i made sure i was approachable to all my neighbors and as a result they keep an eye on my place and i watch theirs.

we snow blow for each other and blow leaves and cut grass when able..

also it helps me to know if they ever had a concern about smell, or anything they will come see me first.. and i told them from the beginning that was all i asked for... give me a chance to address any concerns before calling in outside authorities..

in my last place of residence a friend and i were playing guitar hero on a game system and a neighbor called the police....instead of us..  when they arrived around 0100 they apologized and said they walked up the driveway and could barely hear the sounds.. we turned it off of course... but i was offended the neighbor didn't call us directly.. lesson learned..

so before i moved in to this home i was certain to address any "potential possible neighbor situation's" before i became a patient and caregiver...

i also agree with KD and would not buy a filter.. unless outstanding circumstances deemed it necessary.. a lot more goes into controlling smell and the growing environment than just slapping a carbon filter on a window vent... a number of variables would need to be addressed before deciding which filter was appropriate for the room and fan the person has.. those filters do not run themselves...

my advice is - if they are at all approachable.. i would do a friendly meet and greet and ask politely..

if your mom is not up to it then find a Realtor who is.

i am no longer a Realtor but as one it would not be beyond a typical situation with a neighbor when listing a house.. if people only knew the things Real Estate sales professionals deal with.. :)

glad your here.. glad we can help..

again welcome to the forums.

I took the opposite approach with neighbors. I moved in, said hello, and never spoke again. I was keen on the idea that it's often the people known to a caregiver that cause the most strife. Neighbors talk over dinner, teenagers listen intently, they talk too, and some even try to steal from other neighbors. I figured if nobody knows, then nobody knows. I'm insulated by some woods, keep to myself, and I dont have many visitors. No yard parties or smoke outs. The weakest link I see is the freshly harvested stinky scraps fed to the bunnies. An odiferous waft could possibly catch a nose. I may end the practice soon for that.

I keep two 3 foot stink socks circulating air between my veg room and my flower room 24/7. I have one more in each room on the wall just scrubbing some more air and acting as fans over my canopy. Most often I have little odors in the sealed rooms,as long as I dont bump a plant. I dont exhaust to the outdoors and never smelled the garden in my yard so far.

Coming back into my home with my garden jacket on stinks up the house for an hour or so. When I grew 12 inside a room in the house I found it difficult to eliminate smells in my home, my main reason for moving the garden outside. I can dry inside that same room indoors, with some overkill controls, but carrying freshly trimmed mj to the room is an all day house stink. I do it when nobody is home always. I dont want to tinkle off ANYBODY with my habits. I'd be crushed if my neighbor told me my yard stinks.

I'd have no prob putting this irresponsible neighbor on the defensive, as his lack of actions could scare away buyers costing a polite neighbor big time. After witnessing dog events and putting up with blatant air pollution, I'd make a fast judgement that the pos neighbor needs little consideration. There's a lot of good ppl out there to waste my time and generosity on.

I'd have no prob putting this irresponsible neighbor on the defensive, as his lack of actions could scare away buyers costing a polite neighbor big time. After witnessing dog events and putting up with blatant air pollution, I'd make a fast judgement that the pos neighbor needs little consideration. There's a lot of good ppl out there to waste my time and generosity on.

I hear ya abe, but your there to take care of the repucussions if any, mom is gonna be left there alone to deal with neighbor, I guess a nice 9mm would help protect her,,,,,lmao

as a rule I tell people what I wouldnt do lol, becuase I dont make the best judgments and if this guy said one neg thing to me I would punch the sheet out of him lol, so I didnt want to tell the op that, i told the op what id like my neihbor to do in this situation, but im realy with you, phaq em!

Peace

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

crankyold fart,

sure do appreciate your coming on here to air the smells you and mum endure.  collectively we have a problem with smelling like skunks.  i know i would appreciate a friendly notice that my medicine needs to be "knocked down."  thankm you for your sane and safe approach to one of our stinkier participants.

• 3 weeks later...

tell the grower to vent ALL exhaust from grow, up the chimney...takes a HVAC guy or someone who knows how chimney's vent, have to have air flow or something like furnace fan forcing it up chimney...this

works great in summer when furnace is not running, by the Winter they need to have a stink tube added that vents to top of house....

.....it (the terpines or smell) ends up too high (no pun intended) at the top of house  to be smelled on the ground...USUALLY...weather has an impact. The idea is to get it off the ground...i am sure they do not want anyone and everyone who walks up smelling that....so they SHOULD BE appreciative....many have this issue, filters do very little as a 4' carbon filled can filter ($400) does not do too much, all depends on where the vent is and having it at ground level is, um, dumb....

.....up, up up chimney is the answer in City type situations (and even then it is not 100% foolproof as it can at times get pushed back down........

suggest you tell them that and ask them to do so immediately....we all know how much Girls can smell up an area.....its sad they are not respectful of neighbors (not to mention about a dozen other issues) 

M

Edited by Murph

some forums mention venting into the sewer line, since the sewer smells would usually cover the smell. 

simple instructions:

http://www.thctalk.com/Overgrow/growfaq/1457.htm

dunno if it would work or be safe... best ask a plumber first and install a backwards air trap...

Causes scale in the sewer line and you eventually have to have it scraped out. On a side note, I know a cannabis friendly plumber that will keep his mouth shut about your grow.

a long long time ago, I know someone who taped into the sewer air vent for his bathroom fan.

it is specifically against code, and the odors came back into the bathroom when the fan was not running.  Verygrossindeed!

I would not recommend running your fans into that stink pipe... no no no....

• 7 months later...

tell the grower to vent ALL exhaust from grow, up the chimney...takes a HVAC guy or someone who knows how chimney's vent, have to have air flow or something like furnace fan forcing it up chimney...this

works great in summer when furnace is not running, by the Winter they need to have a stink tube added that vents to top of house....

.....it (the terpines or smell) ends up too high (no pun intended) at the top of house  to be smelled on the ground...USUALLY...weather has an impact. The idea is to get it off the ground...i am sure they do not want anyone and everyone who walks up smelling that....so they SHOULD BE appreciative....many have this issue, filters do very little as a 4' carbon filled can filter ($400) does not do too much, all depends on where the vent is and having it at ground level is, um, dumb....

.....up, up up chimney is the answer in City type situations (and even then it is not 100% foolproof as it can at times get pushed back down........

suggest you tell them that and ask them to do so immediately....we all know how much Girls can smell up an area.....its sad they are not respectful of neighbors (not to mention about a dozen other issues) 

M

Down state our g.r was in close contact with the cold air return vent for the furnace, we ran our 6" vent thru the cold air return and had it come out in the furnace room, than we sent it up the chimney, an inline fan will do the rest and we never smelled it again!

Peace