Aero Cloner Question

AnotherPatient

I built my own Aero cloner (if anyone wants the build instructions pm me Im happy to help) and I have an important question. When the roots become long enough to touch the water, will they get root rot if the water is not being airated by an air stone? Or is the motion of the pump sucking the water and the misters spraying enough airation? Thank you in advance.

I built my own Aero cloner (if anyone wants the build instructions pm me Im happy to help) and I have an important question. When the roots become long enough to touch the water, will they get root rot if the water is not being airated by an air stone? Or is the motion of the pump sucking the water and the misters spraying enough airation? Thank you in advance.

I have made a few of these and also used an ez cloner.  The Ez cloner comes with an air stone and an air pump.  I have never seen a difference using the air stone vs. not.  The only time I've gotten root rot in an aerocloner is when temps in the room were up and the water got too warm.  If I run a chiller in the summer to cool the water, I have no root rot issues.  A cheap solution to high water temps is a dorm-size fridge.  Just drill two holes through non-essential parts of the fridge, and coil some tubing in the fridge.  Then just pump the water from the cloner, through the fridge, and back to the cloner.  Of course you won't have automatic temperature control, but if you keep an eye on the temperature manually, you can make adjustments based on the room temps and dial in the home-made chiller so you know how much tubing to have in the fridge to achieve the right amount of cooling for the current temperatures. 

I have made a few of these and also used an ez cloner.  The Ez cloner comes with an air stone and an air pump.  I have never seen a difference using the air stone vs. not.  The only time I've gotten root rot in an aerocloner is when temps in the room were up and the water got too warm.  If I run a chiller in the summer to cool the water, I have no root rot issues.  A cheap solution to high water temps is a dorm-size fridge.  Just drill two holes through non-essential parts of the fridge, and coil some tubing in the fridge.  Then just pump the water from the cloner, through the fridge, and back to the cloner.  Of course you won't have automatic temperature control, but if you keep an eye on the temperature manually, you can make adjustments based on the room temps and dial in the home-made chiller so you know how much tubing to have in the fridge to achieve the right amount of cooling for the current temperatures. 

Oh ok cool. Wow what an intuative idea. You really think outside the box. I'm not sure I would be handy enough to safely do that.

water carries the most DO (dissolved oxygen) at 65 f; at 61 f, it has the most protection vs pathogens.

My water is at 59-60 f right now, is that bad? It's close to 61 but I have learned that in this field one percent or one degree can mean alot.

Cloner advice; But roots don't grow much below 70 F. Pathogens enter the scene at around 80 F. I like the sweet spot at around 78 F.

I agree with this. Mine seem to be growing rather slowly right now. Took about 20 days to be ready and I left them in there for ten more to beef them up.