What Makes Marijuana Medical Grade?

trichcycler

those are great ideas man. I'll poke around a bit....

I figured it was just dated material. Maybe could just remove that mention of sythesized for now?I see you already have , thank you) I think it reflects poorly on the actual Medical Marijuana community, especially with the negative media coverage that the chem receives occasionally. I'd hate to be grouped with the people eating faces after medicating, lol.

What do you envision in the qualifying conditions departments?

We've kinda strayed from the original topic of "what makes marijuana medical grade."

My own opinion is that if you have some marijuana and you smoke it, vape it, eat it, stare at it, smell it....whatever...if anything you do with the marijuana provides a medical benefit, then it is medical grade.  There are good arguments to be made about organic meds, pure meds, cleans meds, potent meds, etc.  If the marijuana alleviates  a patient's qualifying condition, then it is medical grade. 

Sure, some growers spray their plants with some risky stuff to combat mildew and pests.  So take this sort of grower in context.  If I have six months to live before some terrible cancer takes me down, I'd want the best price on good meds to keep me comfortable, and I really wouldn't care if the grower used floramite or some other exotic chemical.

The MMMA seems to establish the patient-CG relationship as a close one.  So as long as the patient understands the grower's process and nutes/chemicals used, then there really shouldn't be an issue.

At the end of the day "medical marijuana" is marijuana used to help a sick person alleviate his/her condition.

I agree, mostly.

all patients deserve poison free meds, especially the immuno compromised and even those who've been told by another they would die soon. We should all strive to provide the cleanest purest safest medicinal herbal products to our patients. I understand this is your personal opinion, but I think even you deserve the same, end days or not.

peace

I agree, mostly.

all patients deserve poison free meds, especially the immuno compromised and even those who've been told by another they would die soon. We should all strive to provide the cleanest purest safest medicinal herbal products to our patients. I understand this is your personal opinion, but I think even you deserve the same, end days or not.

peace

Yes but what exactly does this mean?  You can buy the most expensive organic foods and use the purest of medical MJ...but then you stand outside your car pumping gas and breathe huge amounts of volatile hydrocarbons...way more chemical intake than you'd get from some sprayed meds.  Then you go to church on Sunday and breathe in the residual chlorinated solvents due to dry-cleaning everyone's "Sunday best."  I once conducted a study where we found that the air quality in the average church on an average Sunday was nothing short of terrible due to residual dry-cleaning solvents. 

While I'm wholly in support of squeaky-clean meds, I find it odd that so many people insist on "clean/pure" meds, yet they have far lower standards in all other areas of their life.

I avoid organized religious practices for this very same reason !

..or like the diabetic who pricks a finger six times a day, just to see the ill effects of each pepsi.

we try to do the best we can, and avoid toxins in our life. The minute we start excusing the instances that we CAN control,

is the minute we've given up on our health.

Edited by grassmatch

Yes but what exactly does this mean?  You can buy the most expensive organic foods and use the purest of medical MJ...but then you stand outside your car pumping gas and breathe huge amounts of volatile hydrocarbons...way more chemical intake than you'd get from some sprayed meds.  Then you go to church on Sunday and breathe in the residual chlorinated solvents due to dry-cleaning everyone's "Sunday best."  I once conducted a study where we found that the air quality in the average church on an average Sunday was nothing short of terrible due to residual dry-cleaning solvents. 

While I'm wholly in support of squeaky-clean meds, I find it odd that so many people insist on "clean/pure" meds, yet they have far lower standards in all other areas of their life.

I remember back in '09 and all the hype about it. So much hype that when I went to a cannabis doctor appointment this little old lady heard me talking about growing and looked me right in the eye and said, "My caregiver said he would do a triple wash, rinse and water cure on everything he sells me so it's really pure."

Then the dispensary gang got ahold of the hype because they wanted to justify their illegal existance by saying caregivers were 'dirty growers'. Now you still see a caregiver pass through here now and then telling us all how we should grow and how we should be more 'medical', showing how they are above us all.

99% of the posting about this is all about money and advertising. I say 99% because of that one time DLOVAS was spraying aerosol bug spray, RAID I think, right on some buds he was harvesting. Who would spray raid on their food? Just treat it like what you would eat is all. What we need is common sense and less chest thumping and finger pointing, trying to make yourself worthy-er than the next guy.

I saw Hot Shot strips hanging in medical gardens for years, in dispensaries, and even in High Times magazine. I cringed. 

What effect do Hot Shot strips have on MJ?  Does MJ absorb the chemical that off-gas?  I can't say if this is a problem or not....so maybe you can explain the chemistry behind why this is bad so people can make informed decisions? 

What effect do Hot Shot strips have on MJ?  Does MJ absorb the chemical that off-gas?  I can't say if this is a problem or not....so maybe you can explain the chemistry behind why this is bad so people can make informed decisions? 

The major effect of dichlorvos is on the nervous system. Studies on people who were exposed to dichlorvos by breathing air in the workplace containing low levels of dichlorvos have not shown any harmful effects. Animal studies have shown that breathing high levels can cause nervous system effects.

Ingesting large doses may cause nausea and vomiting, restlessness, sweating, and muscle tremors, while very large doses may cause coma, inability to breathe, and death. Animal studies have also shown effects on the nervous system when animals drank water or ate food containing dichlorvos.

There is a general test that can be used to determine if you have been exposed to a group of insecticides, including dichlorvos. This test measures the activity of an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase in the blood. However, it does not specifically show exposure to dichlorvos.

Specific tests are available to identify dichlorvos or its breakdown products in your urine. These tests aren't available at most doctors' offices, but can be done at special laboratories that have the right equipment.

The chemical can be washed or rinsed off possibly, but most don't rinse their buds before handling or consuming. A good point to make here is that most often garden pests are avoidable. The choice is to use these controls, or implement preventative ones.

this is their labeling;

CAUTION: Contains a Cholinesterase Inhibitor. Repeated inhalation or skin

contact with Dichlorvos (DDVP) may, without symptoms, progressively increase

susceptibility to Dichlorvos (DDVP) poisoning.

May be Toxic to fish, birds, and other wildlife when exposed to large quantities

of strips.

ROUTE(S) OF ENTRY: Under normal use conditions the amount of DDVP given off by the product

described in this MSDS is not sufficient to cause ingestion, skin, eye or inhalation hazards.

However, under extreme conditions this product may be fatal if sufficient DDVP is absorbed

through the eye or skin, is ingested or is inhaled. Overexposure may produce acute

cholinesterase depression.

SIGNS OF ACUTE OVEREXPOSURE: Acute cholinesterase depression may be evidenced by

headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, excessive sweating, salivation and

tearing, constricted pupils, blurred vision, tightness in chest, weakness, muscle twitching

and confusion; in extreme cases, unconsciousness, convulsions, severe respiratory

depression and death may occur.

SIGNS OF CHRONIC OVEREXPOSURE: Repeated exposures to small doses of DDVP and other

organophosphates may lower the cholinesterase to levels where the above symptoms of

acute overexposure are observed.

CARCINOGENICITY: EPA under its 1999 proposed Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment has

classified DDVP as having "suggestive evidence of carcinogenicity, but not sufficient to

assess human carcinogenic potential." IARC lists DDVP (Dichlorvos) as being possibly

carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B). CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED IN HANDLING

DDVP AND ITS FORMULATIONS.

SKIN PROTECTION: Impervious, usually rubber or nitrile, gloves are required for prolonged or

repeated exposures to this product. Workers should wear long-sleeved shirt and long pants;

waterproof gloves; and shoes plus socks. Follow manufacturer's instructions for cleaning/

maintaining personal protection equipment (PPE). If no such instructions are available, use

detergent and hot water. Keep and wash PPE separately from other laundry. Do not reuse

contaminated clothing until it has been laundered properly. Always wash hands, face and

arms with soap and water after using pesticides before smoking, eating, drinking or going to

the toilet. Shower after work each day.

and this

The United States Environmental Protection Agency first considered a ban on DDVP in 1981. Since then it has been close to being banned on several occasions, but continues to be available. Major concerns are over acute and chronic toxicity. There is no conclusive evidence of carcinogenicity to date, however a 2010 study found that each 10-fold increase in urinary concentration of organophosphate metabolites was associated with a 55% to 72% increase in the odds of ADHD in children.[1]