Detroit Is Scary

I was looking for a dispensary and did not feel safe. 

Couldn't find the dispensary, so I went inside a store to ask for directions.

When I get out, theres a car parked right next to mine.  There was plenty of other spaces available and he parks way too close to mine.  I play it cool and quickly get in the car and leave.

Then I remembered a guy standing  on the corner by the store.  I saw him earlier when I was driving around looking for the disp.  He had been standing there for almost an hour.  I think he texted the driver in the parking lot, alerting him I left the store.

If I was in the store longer, Im sure the car would have been broken into or stolen.  Then I realize Im a deaf kripple from outta town.  It could have been very bad.  They could have stolen the car leaving me stranded, or worse carjack and beat the bunny muffin outta me.

Freaked me out

I started hanging around the Cass Corridor when I was 16 and when I am able to work I work in downtown Detroit.

You generally won't have any trouble if you aren't looking for it. Stay away from street drugs and prostitutes and you'll be OK.

If you're standing in a neighborhood party store looking nervous on the other hand you will attract predators.

Would you be uncomfortable if someone parked too close to you at Lakeside Mall?

I lived at Cass and I-75 the infamous Cass Corridor in the early 1950's and just three blocks from there now and it's the same as it's always been...There's a lot of opportunity in Detroit for those with eyes wide open...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marijuana-Ranch-Cafe/301580809960871

I grew up at 6 mile/van dyke. It was like little Beirut when I was 2-13. We were violently robbed at gun point on xmas eve once !. gun fire every week, police all the time, fights, needles in the street gutters when it rained, real nasty block/neighborhood. Parents had enough sense to send me to a private school. I avoid the area now and the surrounding 30  miles too.

They didn't want to leave, for their eyes were wide open (lol) Its actually cleaned up this day, according to google earth real estate.

12 months ago the DPD said the same so it is not news.  we have over 100 disps here. some of the disps are in good hoods but dangerous for patients to enter.  a few are in good hoods and safe.  some i would send a swat team to clean out the hood and the thug-ridden disp.  research whom you plan to do biz with, with other peeps and target a gooooood one.  then spend a lot.  detroit really needs your cash.

My car was the only car in the parking lot.  No reason for that dude to park that close to mine.  Ive caught people trying to break into my truck in the past.  They parked the same way. People that were standing around, weren't waiting for a bus.

Ive had my car broken into at the mall...Ive been involved in an attempted car jacking.   Carjackers shot at us, as they were running away. 

Im not paranoid, I had no way to defend myself.

Whats the response time for a 011 call in Detroit?  An hour?  That's plenty of time for them to harm me and get away.

I started hanging around the Cass Corridor when I was 16 and when I am able to work I work in downtown Detroit.

You generally won't have any trouble if you aren't looking for it. Stay away from street drugs and prostitutes and you'll be OK.

If you're standing in a neighborhood party store looking nervous on the other hand you will attract predators.

Would you be uncomfortable if someone parked too close to you at Lakeside Mall?

@jamft. If you left a few dollars visible or something valuable in plain sight..you might of been a target. Crackheads are the main source of petty thefts. I had the battery stolen out of my truck thats been broke down in the driveway for months now...sad part is the keys were in it, it starts up...just dont have any brakes. Lol

Detroit aint that bad. They hype surrounding detroit amplifies any fear thats already there. The majority of people here are just like everyone else, just trying to live there lives.

I've never had a problem there. I'm afraid that when many people say "high crime area" it's just a euphemism for "predominantly black".

Ive seen plenty of white criminals.  Its not a white or black thing.  I cleaned out the car before going just for that reason.

Nothing happened but if something did, there wouldn't be anything I could've done about it.

I was in the store way longer than planned.  It was like a maze to get in and out and the parking lot was far from the entrance.

Criminals knew exactly whats going on.  Theres a dispensary hidden around the corner and they wait for lost customers to rob

pergamum362, on 26 Jan 2014 - 00:35, said:

Detroit aint that bad. They hype surrounding detroit amplifies any fear thats already there. The majority of people here are just like everyone else, just trying to live there lives.

I've never had a problem there. I'm afraid that when many people say "high crime area" it's just a euphemism for "predominantly black".

Not a euphemism is this case. Detroit is a high crime area.

I only know from living off 5 mile (on Winston) in Detroit as opposed to living in Redford ( off Plymouth rd)

There was a big difference in the neighborhoods.

Most of the houses in my Detroit neighborhood ( where I rented) were not in the best of conditions.

My Redford neighborhood was well taken care of by residents who had pride in their surroundings.

I did not grow up there. I only moved there to cut my commute time to Farm Hills.

As Canton was a long drive everyday..

Being a former Marine I have ( probably dumbly) never felt afraid at anytime anywhere including Detroit.

I have been places that I felt that I should leave immediately.

But never afraid, that brings out the dogs.. Nervous people are likely to get mugged, and or robbed.

Be Strong, Be confidant, be decisive and be safe.

There used to be a number of dispensaries on 8 mile. That would be a safer area for those unwilling/unknowing to explore Detroit.

Try looking at Weedmaps. They have a list of Dispensaries in Mich.

Good luck and Be Safe

No harm no foul on the North/South Redford rivalry thing.. Sorry as I have no dog in that fight..

Besides isn't 5 mile like 2 miles from Plymouth rd anyway?

Where is the cutoff between North and South? I 96?

Ugh, I never understood inter-city rivalries.

L8R