Marijuana Agitates Symptoms?

trichcycler

I've known people to say cannabis "freaks them out" and thinking about it now, they were already "freaked out" people to begin with. Although it's true, cannabis did freak them out more. I don't know what their dis ease was, but the symptoms seemed agitated with marijuana use.

Are there other cases of symptom agitation with medical marijuana use being experienced?

I can tell you that there are some patients who experience mania to the point that cannabis cannot help much, if at all. That is not to say it includes everyone with conditions that display that feature. It is reasonable to think that there are states that might be exacerbated. The literature is mixed.

i know a schizophrenic psychotic , who has been hospitalized a few times over the years, who said marijuana made them see things.

this person lies to me on a number of things every time i talk to them, so maybe take that evidence with a grain of salt.

said person is currently refusing to take anti-psychotic medications (abilify, depakote, stelazine) at their prescribed levels.

if some people think they're going to see pink elephants , they're going to see pink elephants, whether or not its from the marijuana.

similar to people who act drunk after drinking one sip of alcohol, or act high after getting pranked with oregano.

what i'm saying is, dont associate with schizos and psychos if you can avoid it. nothing but pure stress and anxiety.

Edited by t-pain

Yes, anxiety producing strains I can only take in the summer at a bbq with a beer or 2.  It sets off my IBS if I'm cooped up in the winter or already worried about something else.  It blows my problems out of proportion for me.  Indicas generally make me realize how much I'm overthinking or overworrying about things.  Caffeine also exacerbates this problem.  I just have to test.  Not all sativas do this to me though.

I have also heard of certain strains, lemon skunk in particular, increasing throbbing pains and aches in certain individuals. 

I have found that if I smoke it my muscle spasms get worse which of course causes more pain. Then I tried eating it and it made a world of difference for me. I almost gave up on the medical mj because it wasn't helping me as much as it seemed to help other people but a friend suggested I try medibles and it worked. I am not sure why there is such a difference between smoking and eating but thank goodness I stuck with it.

happy you found relief. I know the blood/brain barrier is to blame partly for the difference between ingestion and inhalation. Many rx are formulated to break down not in your stomach, but in your intestine, to facilitate the drug-to-blood contact, quicker than digesting the pill in the stomach.

I have found that if I smoke it my muscle spasms get worse which of course causes more pain. Then I tried eating it and it made a world of difference for me. I almost gave up on the medical mj because it wasn't helping me as much as it seemed to help other people but a friend suggested I try medibles and it worked. I am not sure why there is such a difference between smoking and eating but thank goodness I stuck with it.

you've never witnessed a patient who's paranoia (after using cannabis) became near delirious ?  seems that was the scene for many in the last 40 years, especially when the "good stuff" entered the room. I've had a patient with some type of irritable bowel issue who claimed smoking marijuana put him on the toilet with cramps, while others found relief nowhere else. I've read accounts of mental patients becoming extremely agitated after using.

personally, I wouldn't inhale cannabis while suffering from a headache because it often makes it worse for me. On the other hand I manage two patients who medicate specifically for migraines with success.   Chemotypes are at heavy play with self titrated drugs I think.

I have never heard anyone say marijuana freaks them out. I have heard people say that marijuana calms them down. I have never heard of any other symptom being exacerbated or made worse.

I have seen vaporization trigger a menopausal hot flash in a first-time user, which was instantly stopped by opening a patio door across the room. That leads me to believe it was a psychological reaction to some other effect of the cannabis. I have seen many other menopausal women have only positive effects from cannabis.

I have experienced a cancer patient get unbearably dizzy and have to lay down from vaporizing marijuana, when he was experiencing extreme nausea from his treatment, and the excessive pharmaceutical regimen his doctor prescribed was not helping. The same patient had success the one time he had vaporized a few weeks earlier, but the combination of the excessive pharmaceutical dosage and the marijuana triggered the reaction, according to his doctor, pushing him into some sort of CNS toxicity.

The doctor told him to stop a couple of the pharmaceuticals and use the cannabis instead. The patient also explained that he has always been hyper-sensitive to CNS toxicity, even getting dizzy if he drinks a beer on a hot summer day.

smoking absolutely relieves my headaches , i'm sorry it doesnt work out for you grassmatch.

aspirin doesnt help my headaches at all, people react differently to different meds i guess.

its too bad we cant have any scientific research done to find out the causes and shrink the side effects. thanks FDA/DEA/Congress/OBAMA.

Smoking can agitate congestion headaches if your not drinking enough water.

When anxiety is tied to your condition(IBS) it can help with pain and cramps associated but it doesn't help me with apatite if it increases my anxiety.  One pheno of Blueberry Gum actually started stomach spasms although it relieved some of the pain/nausea.  It's quite specific for some people depending on the convolution of symptoms/problems they have.  I'm also ADHD and probably on the spectrum so certain strains get me OCD over a certain point and make it impossible to focus.  Yet other strains make me feel normal, social and motivated, usually indicas.  That's why I classify indicas the thinking man's pot.  If you think too much it's perfect for getting those thoughts toned down and organized and motivated.  Where as sativas that are too speedy make me want to jump out of my skin and run around the yard or thru the woods somewhere.

no apology necessary, I do not suffer headaches, schizophrenia, or gastro int issues. I don't get much complaints these days, with medical mj, but maybe that's because I'm exposed to only a few people at a time, rather than groups of buddies at regular smoke outs of yesteryear. I see some reports of what I've witnessed in this thread. Should prove to be interesting over time.

I wish labs were on this 50 years ago, or not....seems we have no problems ascertaining safe practical ways of use today

smoking absolutely relieves my headaches , i'm sorry it doesnt work out for you grassmatch.

aspirin doesnt help my headaches at all, people react differently to different meds i guess.

its too bad we cant have any scientific research done to find out the causes and shrink the side effects. thanks FDA/DEA/Congress/OBAMA.

• 2 weeks later...

I, for one, stay away from Sativa's specifically due to "paranoia", although I don't really think of it as paranoia, they just make my heart race, which is unsettling, and doesn't make me feel very good.  This has never happened with an Indica, even hybrids as long as they are indica dominant (I usually try not to go lower than 80/20, although that's an arbitrary number).

Interestingly, marijuana does not help me with normal headaches, in fact, marijuana can sometime cause headaches for me.  That being said, they can help if I get a migraine.  Not sure about the specifics of the body chemistry, but anyone who has had both can tell you they are very, very different ailments, so its not hard for me to believe marijuana would help one and not the other.  Just my $0.02.