Tissue Cultured Marijuana ? You Bet !

trichcycler

Hey Grass,

Can u send me a few explants all ready to drop in the dirt?

I mean I will compensate u for it.

How about $$ each??

Really?

Just pm me your ready and available list and I will get back to you.

Thanks mate.

The above post was totally farcical.

Just poking fun at UK tech.

How totally oblivious..

Probably a Troll.

so far I think this gentleman doesn't expect me to mail explants, but kits to produce his own, satisfying an entrepreneurial spirit as nobody else is offering these wonders.  I can do that much.  The science perceived by masses is one of scary franken plants but most are unaware that near all of their vegetables and fruits have originated from tissue cultures. Most tomato seed sold legally at the store has originated in tissue culture, some gmo, and most patented.

In seriousness, I can provide cultures of any cup winner (since 2010?) to any of my patients, even if they do not have plant possession rights. These are not cannabis, nor do they contain thc or cbd. They are undifferentiated dna, a smear at best, literally.  IN fact they can be legally mailed. perhaps not out of the country though. Like many plant species I am pretty sure cannabis is on the list of "must quarantine" for shipment, as if one could ship cannabis anyways.

People have been raided for  growing mini lemon trees in America, so anything is possible.

http://www.cannabiscup.com/past-winners/#seattle-

Edited by grassmatch

For reference, this is what I must mix for a simple culturing like carrot culture initiation formulas(to give an idea of the complexity of tissue culture chem stocks. these items are mixed in miniscule portions and some are very expensive

Aluminum Chloride

Ammonium Nitrate

Ammonium Phosphate, Monobasic

Ammonium Sulfate

Boric Acid

Calcium Chloride, Anhydrous

Calcium Nitrate

Cobalt Chloride

Cupric Sulfate

Na2EDTA•

Ferric Chloride

Ferric Sodium EDTA

Ferrous Sulfate•

Magnesium Sulfate, Anhydrous

Manganese Chloride

Manganese Sulfate

Molybdic Acid (Sodium Salt)

Molybdenum Trioxide

Nickel Chloride

Nickel Sulfate

Potassium Chloride

Potassium Iodide

Potassium Nitrate

Potassium Phosphate, Dibasic

Potassium Phosphate, Monobasic

Potassium Sulfate

Sodium Nitrate

Sodium Phosphate Monobasic

Sodium Sulfate

Zinc Nitrate

Zinc Sulfate

Adenine Hemisulfate

Glycine

2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid 1

6-γ,γ-Dimethylallylaminopurine

Indole-3-acetic Acid 1

Kinetin

L(-)Malic Acid

myo-Inositol

Nicotinic Acid

Pyridoxine•HCI

Thiamine•HCI

my bet is you already have to some degree.  compare to jamming that broken spider plant twig into a cup of water on the window sill.  when it roots you put it in dirt.

not sure why cannabis wont just root in a cup like that, but it wont usually work out.    Added bubbles will do it though.

the simplest way to begin is with a leaf or root bit, sonic toothbrush cleaner, alcohol, bleach, grodan rooting cube, and some cloning gel/willow water.

After the explant(leaf,root, twig etc) is sterile, place half into the rooter hole and cove the other half with gel, Water it with sterile willow water and a mister, keep a small clear Dixie over it. The leaf bit needs to be no bigger than your fingernail, or as small as a pin head. The bigger the easier to work with. use tweezers, alcohol dipped of course. Don't breathe on it, or drop any skin cells over it, should root before fungi wins. With 10 at a time a few should be fine. With a little luck, and a few more posts, it could grow into a full size replica of its donor in normal time.

It works so much better for you if you post pics here :P

Yes, culturing plant tissue leaves no room for any pathogen, mold, virus, bacteria or pests. A cultured plan is essentially "cleaned".

I've seen pm clones grown free of mildew. The fungus requires a specific set of atmospheric conditions to report and thrive.

The mildew will have to be first removed. There are  "ornamental use only" chemicals and some organic remedies to accomplish that.

A treated plant, no matter what the treatment, will report more fungus given the right circumstances.

Don't give up on a successful one. I've grown much of what attitude offers and feel there are only a handful out of hundreds/thousands that are useful to me and my group.  keep in mind she may be unhealthy and more susceptible succumbing to the conditions present. Her shortcomings are actually the room manager's. (s0rry)Culturing her would be fairly cheap

and easy, but bringing up the culture to fruition would not be, it took me years to grow my first culture to harvest, or even to veg state. Now its done in my sleep, but it cost me a college priced education and supplies.

I can walk you through a "cheater" program if interested.

You'll first need a pressure cooker, 99% iso alcohol, Clorox bleach, a sonic toothbrush cleaner, and net available special storage sauce.

I've never had a moldy plant in the garden but have treated cuttings/clones for others. The process wont actually be tissue culturing, but will sterilize your plant cutting(s), and store it(them) indefinitely, as a cutting. The cutting will count as a plant keep in mind, even in suspended animation in a test tube.  I would double check conditions indoors first. Lights off is a good time for these conditions to fail. I use a "high/low" temp/hum monitor that stores the highest/lowest readings of the day/night for references. 

would make for a great tutorial....I'll play if you will..... :P

Backintheriver,

Ever hear of Eagle20 WP?

Nasty stuff but it will kill PM.

You will not be able to flower out anything treated for 90 days, but it works.

I concur with Grassmatch,

Fix your environment fix your mold problem..

The spores will always be present now that they have colonized a plant in that area.

You Must fix temp and humidity swings or the problem wil come back time and time again..

It is sparked by environmental conditions.

Good luck PM is a thorn in the side.

Edited by ilynnboy

• 1 month later...

Mapping marijuana’s genome could lead to medical discoveries

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/01/29/mapping-marijuanas-genome-could-lead-to-medical-discoveries/

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-23880-green_genes.html

The history of marijuana is being mapped in Portland, Ore. For 10,000 years, humans have carried this plant everywhere, but we still know astonishingly little about it. For the first time, its genetic lineage is being mapped; this means not only helping develop cures for disease, but also determining the tenor of your high with scientific certainty.

Mowgli Holmes, chief scientific officer at Phylos Bioscience, leads a team that is tackling a maze of crossbreeding and landraces, strains that were isolated in specific regions and adapted accordingly. Samples are culled and drawn from every available source.

“We’re testing everything we possibly can,” says Holmes, a molecular geneticist who has a doctorate in microbiology from Columbia University. “We’re testing samples from jars pulled directly off the shelf from a shop in Ohio, in 1937, after prohibition went into effect. The pharmacist stashed them away in his attic.”

So far, the Phylos Bioscience team has sequenced more than 1,000 samples of modern cannabis hybrids, most of which are pulled from dispensaries around the world.

Now, the oddities are rolling in. There is the Ohio collection, an assortment of bottles, pills and gooey concoctions pulled directly from shelves in the early 20th century. There are Thai landraces to study, sterilized seeds from collections and museums across Europe, Russia and China

Has anyone tried this kit for Cannabis (marijuana) tissue culture?

http://phytotechlab.com/index.php/hemp-kit.html

It looks like it has everything I would need including the growth regulators, just curious what you guys think?  I mean, I could buy everything separately, but it adds up to being more than the kit anyway.

Thanks for the input guys.

"Thanks for the input guys" gives it away as spam I think. Although the kit is viable the cost is inflated by 100% compared to other popular ones offered online.

then this for the second post:

"Posted Today, 12:18 PM

I want to do tissue culture of cannabis, because I've read so much about how cloning is cleaner, faster and more reliable than doing it in soil pots. For instance, I can take 1 mother plant and make thousands of new plants in a matter of a couple months, and all the large producers are using tissue culture, because it's the only way they can keep up and keep costs low.

I was looking at getting into tissue culture with a kit, and then from there just purchase individual items I need as I get established. I found this kit while browsing:

http://phytotechlab....p/hemp-kit.html

Has anyone had experience with this? I think the kit looks good, just looking for any personal experience with this.

Thanks all.

That cinches it. website may be useful to some though(?)

Wow fascinating read. Gives me some faith that i can actually acomplish cultures.

Thank you grassmatch.

it really can be as easy as

"sterilize" a new apical meristem with 5% bleach/then 5% alcohol then /sterilized water in a sonic toothbrush cleaner

sterilize a rockwool cube.

using sterile technique dip the plant bit into a newly opened quality cloning gel

depress the specimen half way into the rockwool and cover with a clear cup, friendly light(t5,cfl) and wait. I suggest setting up a dozen or two of these because some will ultimately grow fungus or die or both. dip those assemblies affected into bleach and discard

when the sample begins to show changes, like gnarly bulbous growths keep it misted with sterile water, add a drop of cloning gel to the sample too. Soon a root will form, then chutes, remove cup, A plant will result.

pics, or it didn't happen!

good luck.

if you're nearby I'll loan you a pressure cooker if needed.

I mist my experiments with sterilized willow water. I use a pressure cooker for the sterilizing.

Edited by grassmatch

I use my pressure cooker to sterilize everything (except plant material), including the paper towels. All rinse water, tools, jars, some chems, lids, etc. Some hormones cant be sterilized like this I heard....maybe a reason some mold appears here sometimes??

I use a 2x4  grow tent for culturing, storing cultures and related work. I dont go inside but instead sit in a chair right outside of the opened zipper front. I use Lysol like crazy before I unzip, while I unzip, around the door, floor, chair, clothing, room etc. I find most contaminations here are caused by my own skin cells and hair. Secondly are dust mites on the floor. These buggers can find their way into a screw top baby food jar! You cant see them with your eye only the fungus they bring with them. I have a 1600x digi lcd microscope for the observations. Its able to see through the fluids pumping within a mosquito's leg, my mites cannot escape detection!

I have a small strip of Tanglefoot painted across the entrance to the tent for good measure.  I do not use a flow hood anymore. The air movement proved to be troublesome for me in my space, but the hoods are standard equipment in a real culture lab.....which is a sealed clean room in the first place, with the hood circulatint that heap filtered air in a sealed area. My room is not sterile, not a clean room either. The closet the tent is in is clean, but far from sterile. The air movement form the hood activity seemed to stir up all the stuff I never clean...   

Instead I use an upturned large clear plastic tote. I tipped the opening(top) towards me and work inside with my hands. Its sprayed down with alcohol/Lysol before nd after work is done. I store cultures in test tube racks stacked against the inside walls, on wire racks, with the legs coated with Tanglefoot. I keep a few cfl bulbs on full time and temps around 77F, humidity @ 45%.   

The Tanglefoot treatment alone has boosted my success(meaning no fungus contamination). I  wear a surgical mask and taped gloved hands/skull cap.

Kind of sounds like i was on the right track. Was planning on using a tent for the time being to help control the sterile area. The main reason Im learning is cause im always craking seeds of new cultivars and hate to get rid of the good ones i just dont have space for but that may be useful in later projects or for specific conditions that they may treat. To many good varieties get lost when there is no more room at the inn.

I know right, so many genetics and so little plant count.  Just because I don't think a strain is "perfect" for me any my garden, at this moment, doesn't mean it wont one other day. It happens all the time to me. Within no time I've got what I believe the best(for me) strains available to me. I still cant shake the temptation to continue with new breeders gear, cup winning varieties and my own hybridization.

I figured I'd out grow the small space but it turns out I wont. My tent provides all the clean bright space I need to work and store. Tiny test tubes on a rack take up very little space. Thousands of samples can be stored forever in the tent and still have plenty of room to store chems, tools, a pressure cooker, work rack, spare parts, small t5 fixture, some cfl's etc. 

the fun was in the past, experimenting with hormone overdosing, exotic techniques, electricity, chems......but now I take more of a natural approach to the craft. I'm afraid of most of the hormones used, the antibiotics some count on, and other synthesized items in many "kits".   I work a lot with willow water, slower growth progressions, lower success rate...but its a fair trade for me. The chosen basal salt mixtures are very important per species I find. Off the shelf offerings are helpful but none will bring a cannabis plant to harvest.  I use some Murishage mixes  off the shelf for multiplication, initiation etc, but mix/alter my own for success with mj.

I always use RO water in the mixes/vessels btw. Any little bits of anything WILL affect outcome in the miniature environment explant are trapped in for life.

I don't know how to detect some of these infections so no idea really if they were cured with culturing. I do refresh my stock after I notice a negative trend, and do see improvements in the line every time I refresh. By means of sterilization the explant will lose its bacteria virus' and pathogens I think.

Keep in mind the same techniques can be utilized with each cloning too. Clean samples, tools etc go a long way to avoiding and even correcting some issues. I believe it to be internal fungus' infections mostly that affect growth patterns and anomalies in the garden.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried this kit for Cannabis (marijuana) tissue culture?

http://phytotechlab.com/index.php/hemp-kit.html

It looks like it has everything I would need including the growth regulators, just curious what you guys think?  I mean, I could buy everything separately, but it adds up to being more than the kit anyway.

Thanks for the input guys.

It is a fine kit, over priced and only contains the hormones necessary to initiate a culture. It will not support any thing further, like chuting, rooting, multiplying.