Disability And Surviving On It!

I'll admit that I didn't read all of the posts on this thread.  But I understand the issue.  My dad was born and raised in Scotland and worked as a bricklayer and stone mason apprentice starting at age 14.  In 1940, when he was was 18, he was drafted into the British Army. He filed for conscientious objector status and was denied.  His simple position was that he didn't want to kill people.  He appealed and got shot down again.  He was sentenced to 9 months of hard labor, which he spent designing and building masonry fortifications for fuel storage depots at various places in the British Isles. 

After the war, he moved to Canada and launched a successful construction company.  He lived and worked in Canada for about 20 years before moving to LA.  After a few years of success in LA, he moved to Flint, Michigan in 1967.  After he moved to Flint, he worked for another 25 years or so...sometimes taking contracts in other states and leaving home for six moths at a time to do the work.  He busted his azz in three countries over a period of about 50 years and provided good jobs to a lot of people everywhere he went. 

Finally, as an old man, he had to quit work at about age 70.  He was able to collect about $640/month in US social security and about $100 per month each from Canada and Britain.  In about 1994, he was about $40/month over the limit for food stamps and medicare.  He discussed this with the British gov, and they told him that the best course of action would be for the Brits to cut his old age pension by $40/month so he could qualify for assistance in the US.  They also told him that if he chose to voluntarily cut his pension, the British government would hold that $40/month in abeyance until he might need/want it and they would pay it in a lump sum later.

So here's a guy who worked 50+ years and paid into the system and got just a little bit back - merely a fraction of what he paid in.

I am fortunate that, despite some health issues, I've been able to work my whole adult life.  I've never had any government assistance.  I know that a good portion of my payroll tax goes to those less fortunate.  I'm OK with that.  I have no problem knowing that a portion of my earnings go to people who can't work anymore. 

You hear the anecdotal stories of welfare queens and people "living off the system."  I'm sure that these situations occur, but the people I know who can't work anymore and get a paltry government check monthly would far rather work for a living if they could. 

You are such a Nice Guy and Interesting person!

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us!

Peace

Jim

SSDI is necessary in instances where people are hurt on the job, but employers game the workers' compensation system, litigating to diminish or deny legitimate claims for those injuries. I was disabled many years ago, and significant injuries that had happened due to chronic exposure to ergonomic risk factors, i.e., overwork, were declared not compensible by the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation. Those matters were appealed as is required to the Industrial Commission of Ohio, which ruled against me. Physicians who tell those agencies and employers what they want to hear are paid handsomely and often. Those who don't are dispensed with. Those injuries have now advance to the point that I am largely unable to sit upright, stand, or walk, much less work. I paid Social Security taxes throughout my working life. That I was unable to make it to retirement age is unfortunate and disappointing. I busted my azz and made a lot of money for my employers and was an extremely productive employee, as was shown in my sales, which were exemplary. I have every right to SSDI, as do all others who are abused by predatory employers and kicked to the curb when they are injured in service to them. Others who become diseased in ways other than workplace injury likewise are entirely within their rights to receive SSDI benefits as Americans, given that the government is expressly and constitutionally charged with the responsibility to "promote the general welfare." Ideologues who beat the conservative or libertarian drums and insist on adhering to the Constitution conveniently overlook and dismiss that requirement.

SSDI is necessary in instances where people are hurt on the job, but employers game the workers' compensation system, litigating to diminish or deny legitimate claims for those injuries. I was disabled many years ago, and significant injuries that had happened due to chronic exposure to ergonomic risk factors, i.e., overwork, were declared not compensible by the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation. Those matters were appealed as is required to the Industrial Commission of Ohio, which ruled against me. Physicians who tell those agencies and employers what they want to hear are paid handsomely and often. Those who don't are dispensed with. Those injuries have now advance to the point that I am largely unable to sit upright, stand, or walk, much less work. I paid Social Security taxes throughout my working life. That I was unable to make it to retirement age is unfortunate and disappointing. I busted my azz and made a lot of money for my employers and was an extremely productive employee, as was shown in my sales, which were exemplary. I have every right to SSDI, as do all others who are abused by predatory employers and kicked to the curb when they are injured in service to them. Others who become diseased in ways other than workplace injury likewise are entirely within their rights to receive SSDI benefits as Americans, given that the government is expressly and constitutionally charged with the responsibility to "promote the general welfare." Ideologues who beat the conservative or libertarian drums and insist on adhering to the Constitution conveniently overlook and dismiss that requirement.

Well said.  I talked to a social worker recently who told me that she was worked with a lot of people who others consider to be "lazy."  She said that a lot of people appear lazy because they suffer from depression and that she never met a person who wouldn't work if they could, so said people might have trouble finding a job or they might have trouble doing a job due to physical or mental health issues.

I have no problem with people who can't work getting some help.  I think every citizen of the US should be entitled to reasonable housing, health care, and food.  And yes, some people will game the system, but I firmly believe  that such people are in the vast minority, and should not be held-up as a reason to deny benefits to others.  I also have no problem with people using food stamps to buy crab legs and other expensive foods.  If you get $200/month in food stamps and feed yourself and/or family cheaply - by gardening, picking fresh berries in the summer, stocking up on squash and apples or pears in the fall (There are at least five homes within a half-mile of my house, my house included, where there are apple and pear trees whose fruit just goes to waste - any of us would gladly let someone collect the fruit for free) and wrap the fruit/squash in newspaper and preserve it through the winter, or collect free squash at the side of the road (this time of year I see a few neighbors who put free squash out by the road) and you use this cheap or free food so that maybe once a month you can put together a fancy meal for yourself, your husband, your wife, or kids...I have no concerns with someone using food stamps to splurge once in awhile.

I also have no problem with people collecting unemployment benefits, SSI, or SSDI.  It is a real shame that our government still provides more corporate welfare to big companies in the form of tax breaks, etc, than what is provided to the poor and disadvantaged.  I think FDR figured it out.  If you provide benefits to the disadvantaged, those people will spend that money, because they have to.  And that money will get pumped back into the local economy - mostly grocery stores.  We saw what happened when the republicans cut corporate taxes in about 2006, with the "trickle-down" idea that corporations would reinvest that money in higher wages, new equipment, and new employees.  It simply didn't happen.  Most of the "extra" corporate money that resulted was invested in savings accounts, stock markets, etc. and did not trickle down to the poor and working poor.

Well said.  I talked to a social worker recently who told me that she was worked with a lot of people who others consider to be "lazy."  She said that a lot of people appear lazy because they suffer from depression and that she never met a person who wouldn't work if they could, so said people might have trouble finding a job or they might have trouble doing a job due to physical or mental health issues.

I have no problem with people who can't work getting some help.  I think every citizen of the US should be entitled to reasonable housing, health care, and food.  And yes, some people will game the system, but I firmly believe  that such people are in the vast minority, and should not be held-up as a reason to deny benefits to others.  I also have no problem with people using food stamps to buy crab legs and other expensive foods.  If you get $200/month in food stamps and feed yourself and/or family cheaply - by gardening, picking fresh berries in the summer, stocking up on squash and apples or pears in the fall (There are at least five homes within a half-mile of my house, my house included, where there are apple and pear trees whose fruit just goes to waste - any of us would gladly let someone collect the fruit for free) and wrap the fruit/squash in newspaper and preserve it through the winter, or collect free squash at the side of the road (this time of year I see a few neighbors who put free squash out by the road) and you use this cheap or free food so that maybe once a month you can put together a fancy meal for yourself, your husband, your wife, or kids...I have no concerns with someone using food stamps to splurge once in awhile.

I also have no problem with people collecting unemployment benefits, SSI, or SSDI.  It is a real shame that our government still provides more corporate welfare to big companies in the form of tax breaks, etc, than what is provided to the poor and disadvantaged.  I think FDR figured it out.  If you provide benefits to the disadvantaged, those people will spend that money, because they have to.  And that money will get pumped back into the local economy - mostly grocery stores.  We saw what happened when the republicans cut corporate taxes in about 2006, with the "trickle-down" idea that corporations would reinvest that money in higher wages, new equipment, and new employees.  It simply didn't happen.  Most of the "extra" corporate money that resulted was invested in savings accounts, stock markets, etc. and did not trickle down to the poor and working poor.

I think too that progressive ideals are coming back into vogue, due largely to ease of communication on the internet. Can we expect reasoned argument to again prevail with this technology?  Prior to the time that President Reagan rendered toothless the Fairness Doctrine and Equal Time  Rule in 1987, the legislature was held by Democrats almost full time. Conservatives, and we know who they are, subsequently found that they could use the media to express their views without having to broadcast counter arguments, being strident and persistent in their hype, lies, insults, speculation, and fallacy, appealing to the dumbassest common denominator. In 1934 Equal Time Rules were established, after which Democrats held the legislature almost full time till it was dispensed with (see chart below).

Maybe I am overly optimistic that this will play as I hope. But hey. That's just my style.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Combined--Control_of_the_U.S._House_of_Representatives_-_Control_of_the_U.S._Senate.png

Edited by GregS

• 1 month later...

i'm for anyone getting their money out of the govt pockets , if you paid in , you deserve it back

all employees pay disability premiums.  It is mandatory, and collected and remitted to the govm't by our employers. it is only called SOCIAL SECURITY disability because of whom it is administered by.

RLP: thank you for noticing.  Actually, I got into cultivation solely for the cure...hope it works for me.  It's tough love, all that time in that glass jar, with barely a whiff of oxygen daily...please don't forget my once a day shot.

Oh how much I hate the delay in curing when Im not growing! :blow-a-heart:

I shut down my grow 2 yrs ago, and my c.g gives me live,,,,,,fresh cut plants and I dry and cure all of my  meds,  unfortunatly I dont get to cure all of it before I use it, but I always get mine fresh cut (like roses :blow-a-heart:  )​ but there are alot of times I only get to maybe cure and oz or two properly, and when I do if I burn one with my c.g he asks me where did you get that from lmao!

I tell him from you bro, he is mostly always amazed, he drys it and gets rid of it lol,,,,,,,,we made a deal from the beginning what ever I get from him comes to me wet!

I always dry and cure my own, some times it actualy gets to the pointe where alll of my meds taiste the same,,,,,I have to watch out some times I actualy like how it taistes better just dryed than cured also.  When I cure mine it all taistes the same to me, nice and melllow, I dont have good taiste buds, so I go by how mellow it is on my lungs! I can make all of my meds taiste the same to me, but some times after I dry certain strains I jar it and when I check it the next day as long as it is all dry still I start using it an dont pop it like I do other strains than realy need me to cured right for me not to cough my arse off!

any how it sucks living on disability!

Peace

• 4 weeks later...

After two years of absolutely no income the government has finally decided that I am indeed disabled. Got my check for arrears the other day.

Thanks to Zap for steering me to an attorney who straightened my problem out free of charge.

congrats Bro!

I remember finaly getting 8 yrs back pay,,,,,,,woo hoo I became debt free realy quick,,,,,man what happened?  I am now in debt again, but all the debt seems to have a womans name on it and not mine :blow-a-heart:

Peace

After two years of absolutely no income the government has finally decided that I am indeed disabled. Got my check for arrears the other day.

Thanks to Zap for steering me to an attorney who straightened my problem out free of charge.

Congrats.  They didn't starve you out.

I get so annoyed when people say getting disability is easy. Talk about a pain in the arse. And your sick and disabled dealing with it.

Hopefully you can just get on with being disabled now(what a consolation aye?)

congrats Bro!

I remember finaly getting 8 yrs back pay,,,,,,,woo hoo I became debt free realy quick,,,,,man what happened?  I am now in debt again, but all the debt seems to have a womans name on it and not mine :blow-a-heart:

Peace

Sure!! Blame the woman. We all know who the silver spoon is....

:yahoo-wave:

I get so annoyed when people say getting disability is easy. Talk about a pain in the arse. And your sick and disabled dealing with it.

They recently sent me to a psychiatrist for evaluation, I think that did the trick.

crazy-man.jpg

I get so annoyed when people say getting disability is easy.   <<<< sorry i am one of them i never even left my house did it all on Line

• 2 weeks later...

Very glad to hear it brother.............. Sucks when you gotta wait so long for them to do the right thing.............. Zap to the rescue again...........

These people get social security,food stamps,medicare, the whole shot,as soon as they get off the plane.  Any Facts on this?

Well, if you walk into any local DHS office and pick up an application packet,

it now has the instructions in 5 different languages.  I think that says something.

All I know for sure is when they start up their party stores and gas stations they get like a 5  yr tax break and after 5 yrs they sell it to some one else in their family or community pool!  look at NY state no taxes for 10 yrs for new bussinesses, whether they make all of their parts here or not, they could just have a warhouse here and import everything and make a ton on savings!

we live here my grand father and my son are/were in the armed services, take care of vets and their familys 1st! if any thing is left over put it back into ssi so the people now working dont have to pay as much for the people collecting it. this is not how ssi was supposed to work, it was to help with your retirement not be your retirement, but hey its my retirement, and while I was working I wasnt so sure it would be around by the time I was old enough to collect it, sorry now I dont care im on it untill I die or they run out of money!

Peace

My Chaldean friend and coworker complains about this all the time, even he is disgusted by this. He says this is common practice,and has several friends and cousins that are doing it.Those are the only facts i have.

He told me of one woman who was moving back to iraq and wanted to know if they would still be mailing her checks to her in iraq.

Most complain about not getting enough money.

No...i dont believe there is any truth to this.

http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/immigrants.asp