Disability And Surviving On It!

No one or nothing can say if your back or head hurts! no one, I learned that the hard way, although I have had just about everything done to my back short of the messed up surgery they wanted to do. all of my tests showed my back is whack,(hey im a poet and dont know it) my lady has been getting migrains like way to often, she has done everything they could do for her, I keep wanting her to go to another dr. for other options, she has had botox shot in her head, meds to help prevent them, and meds to stop them once they hit (imitrex) they give her 9 pills a month in an rx, no more, she goes thru them every month and needs more, we are at a loss as to what we can do to help her, when she gets them she cant do light. sound, and she gets very ill to her stomach, she dry heaves and is misserable, and it makes me miserable because I lover her and I cant help her, ive been to all of her dr. visits so I know what is said and help her remember what pills are for what!  mm does not take the pain away but it does help her sleep when she does the imitrex and mm together, she cant do the mm while she is working and has had to come home from work way more than her work allows, she has been written up, put on probation for missing work with a dr excuse, she works for a home health care company and her pt's love her,  she only makes 9 bucks an hr, mcdonalds pays more but is not as rewarding as what she does now!

she has 2 associate degrees in criminal justice, she can be a cop or corrections officer, she only needs to do her academy again, she had a bout of migrains on her last week of the corrections academy and they made her quit and do it over if she wants to work in that feild,,,there are only a few county jails up here than dont need the academy to be a jail guard, but up here that dont pay alot more than what she is already doing, and im sure she gets more satisfaction taking care of pt's than she would working in a prison or jail!  if she became a cop or guard now she would only have to work until she is 72 to get a pension!  isnt that exciting?

Peace

• 4 weeks later...

How do they get their license plates without insurance?

It can be done by buying a policy for the purpose of obtaining your registration from the Secretary of State and cancelling the policy immediately afterward. Insurance companies are required by law to refund any payments made less time elapsed on a pro-rated basis. It is possible to skip on registration by, well, not registering. Believe me. Police do not pay attention to the miniscule tag on your back plate unless they are exceeding bored.

Agree with you, phaq, being on disability is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

For one thing, it was done to me by another's lousy driving, in one devastating instant.  And bestowed on me both physical and mental defects.

For another, I can work for a day normal as ever, but then cannot move w/o pain for 3 or 4 days after.  Even thinking of work during that period makes me tense up, depresses me and makes me hurt, and angry.  Is this me?

Also, peeps both envy and dis me.  They see the monthly check as a govmt hand-out which it is not--it is the result of my paying premiums monthly my whole working life.  And because it is scant funds my car, clothes and way of living scream poverty.  Yet they want the same check--it's no work; a forever vacation.

Further, most folks on disability gain lots of weight because they slow down, and I constantly pull my hand back from the act of feeding.  Filling all the time that was formerly work time is hard too.  Medical marijuana came along just in time for me, but I see so many other folks who curl up and toast any outside interests as if they are already dead.

And then there is the loss of satisfaction that work well done blesses one with.  mmj has helped me greatly on that score, yet by its nature is not the public accomplishment one gets in the arena of work.  Less socialization is a result of not working, and that at first put me into thots of ending things. And that made me question, am I still me?  All these are hard aspects of living with disability. 

Agree with you, phaq, being on disability is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

For one thing, it was done to me by another's lousy driving, in one devastating instant.  And bestowed on me both physical and mental defects.

For another, I can work for a day normal as ever, but then cannot move w/o pain for 3 or 4 days after.  Even thinking of work during that period makes me tense up, depresses me and makes me hurt, and angry.  Is this me?

Also, peeps both envy and dis me.  They see the monthly check as a govmt hand-out which it is not--it is the result of my paying premiums monthly my whole working life.  And because it is scant funds my car, clothes and way of living scream poverty.  Yet they want the same check--it's no work; a forever vacation.

Further, most folks on disability gain lots of weight because they slow down, and I constantly pull my hand back from the act of feeding.  Filling all the time that was formerly work time is hard too.  Medical marijuana came along just in time for me, but I see so many other folks who curl up and toast any outside interests as if they are already dead.

And then there is the loss of satisfaction that work well done blesses one with.  mmj has helped me greatly on that score, yet by its nature is not the public accomplishment one gets in the arena of work.  Less socialization is a result of not working, and that at first put me into thots of ending things. And that made me question, am I still me?  All these are hard aspects of living with disability. 

yea I got t-boned by a punk on may 31 1998, that kid didnt miss a days work, and my life was changed for ever! witnesses and all, no tickets issued, he is working and im watching my ole lady shovel snow and mow the lawn, in a flash my life was changed for ever! my pay went from what i made a wk to a less than a months pay!

any one that can work needs to be happy, you have a social life and something to wake up for, some times I dont even want to get out of bed! luckily I can do this in bed lol!

Peace

the govmt putting a 'gas tax insurance fund' in place of the current 'mandatory private insurance' is the only way that Bridge card holders and most disabled folks will ever be covered by auto insurance--except at plating time.  at plating time Bridge carders and disableds buy a 6-week auto ins. policy that includes a mandatory medical insurance policy (MI requires if you don't have private med. coverage, you must first acquire it to qualify to buy auto ins., so Look Ins.and LA Ins. offer scanty med. policies for $12 for 6 weeks) for total premium of $290...and we never think insurance again til the next plating occasion.  63% of auto policies sold in Detroit are 6-week with medical, and 71% of Detroiters drive w/o auto ins at all.  When we have an accident, our licenses are suspended, and we drive anyway--what's the big deal?  We drove w/o ins. why not drive w/o a license, at least until the suspension is over.  Largely we don't drive outside of Detroit (no money to buy gas) so out-staters are 'protected' from us.  This is another reason why living on disability is harrrrddd...

flashing red lights don't just mean a ticket but a tow for $300 and a suspension and a no-insurance fine of $250, all of which adds up to about 10% of the cost of paying monthly premiums.  in detriot, 22 % of vehicles are not claimed from the tower, and do those folks show in court?  

no way, they don't show so get an FTA and eventually, when caught, a trip to jail for a week, but it is easier than robbing a bank to pay for auto ins.  the choice is, live w/o tv or internet or phone or med. prescriptions or car (impossible)...

or live w/o ins.

that's why unless an 'auto insurance gas tax' is enacted, or Detroit gets an economy with jobs (wouldn't that be a zinger?) the next generation is gonna drive the same way, uninsured... 

I am finding help through the Valley Area Agency on Aging. We are to interview next week and proceed jumping through the required hoops to obtain help with our disabilities to include transportation, chore service, and housekeeping. Those are things that are exceeding difficult and many times impossible to do myself any more. It used to be anyone could eat off our floors at any time, but that has long passed.  These Area Agencies have been around a long time and help elderly and elderly disabled people.  I knew I'd make it here someday, but no one told me how dammed hard it would be.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Edited by GregS

Wish i did, am not aware of this Valley.  What's wrong with your floors and bathroom is wrong with mine.  i clean for an hour and have to take oxy and sleep for 4 hours.

Here ya go. My first job after high school was working at one of these in Bay County. I did intake, outreach, ran a transportation program that offered home pick up and return, managed ten kitchens throughout the county serving daily meals to seniors and a home delivered meal program. Off the clock some of us helped special needs. Good luck.

http://www.aaanm.org/area-agencies-on-aging-michigan/

Edited by GregS

Thank You Greg for all of the info!

Im going to look into more ways to help people here who need it, we go and tear countrys down and rebuild them only to here they are going back to the religious wars that they have been in all of our lives and our parents and grandparents and so on, we cant fix what other country's are fighting over, I dont see how them fighting can raise our gas prices,,it is time to get up off of our own oil wells that are already drilled and not pumping and drilling more and coming up with a better way to fuel everything, we need to be dependent on our own country and take care of our own people, most of all we need to tax the hell out of stuff coming into america and make it not worth getting and the jobs will come back here, I dont care if we send our garbage p.c's and all the other crap to china where they are now putting more pollution into the air than we ever have, but we need to start giving our own businesses big tax breaks and get the work back here, we have some of the best minds in the world here in the u.s, to bad they are not in politics!

Peace

Thank You Greg for all of the info!

Im going to look into more ways to help people here who need it, we go and tear countrys down and rebuild them only to here they are going back to the religious wars that they have been in all of our lives and our parents and grandparents and so on, we cant fix what other country's are fighting over, I dont see how them fighting can raise our gas prices,,it is time to get up off of our own oil wells that are already drilled and not pumping and drilling more and coming up with a better way to fuel everything, we need to be dependent on our own country and take care of our own people, most of all we need to tax the hell out of stuff coming into america and make it not worth getting and the jobs will come back here, I dont care if we send our garbage p.c's and all the other crap to china where they are now putting more pollution into the air than we ever have, but we need to start giving our own businesses big tax breaks and get the work back here, we have some of the best minds in the world here in the u.s, to bad they are not in politics!

Peace

Well said!

• 11 months later...

Hey back dic book!

What you looking for a good ssi attny?

I dont want to go thru the thread to see if I wrote about any advocate that is not a lawyer,

I went thru an 8 yr battle and 2 attny's until I found a good one!

I would be more than happy to share the # with you, I first have to calll him and ask his biz line, I only have his cell, but we talk often, so let me know.

wow this thread has dino poop on it!

Peace

Ive hear that them guys make several hundred bucks a day when they do that, there used to be a guy on green feild and 8 mile under the bridge, he would make designs with the rocks and had a donation bucket, he dressed like he had no  money and never missed a day, I talke to him once and commented how good is art work was, we started talking and that was his job, he made over a grand a week, he owned a house and had a family and was living better than I.

Peace

One summer seen a guy I use to work with on 8 mile, at the turn into Northland. I stopped traffic and confronted him. The people behind me were calling me names. I'd asked who lived in the area, and what school their children attended. This guy was the vice principal of the area Middle School. 

One summer seen a guy I use to work with on 8 mile, at the turn into Northland. I stopped traffic and confronted him. The people behind me were calling me names. I'd asked who lived in the area, and what school their children attended. This guy was the vice principal of the area Middle School. 

I would have had to do the same thing!  I just gave my sons principal a piece of my mind, and I dont have much to spare, But that is a whole other soap opera lol!

Peace

• 1 month later...

It's all over the news today:  the social security disability trust fund will run dry in 2016, causing mandatory 19% across-the-board cuts and new taxes.  I get $1102 per month.  so at a minus 19%, I'll be trimmed back $209.38 monthly, starting ion February 2016.  

Good Old repugniticans... I guess we'll have to be known as the wheel charger robbers.. either that or starve.  so much BS ..  so very sad of that government..  I would say our gov. but we know there not for us at all..